What would the state of US ladies skating if Michele Kwan wasn't born??

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by AndyWarhol, Apr 8, 2013.

1. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

WHAT WOULD US LADIES SKATING BE LIKE IF MICHELLE KWAN WAS NEVER BORN???!!!!

2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

It's impossible to answer this kind of 'what if' question, but instead I'll share a memory I have from Orlando Nationals in 1992. Prior to the internet, it was very hard to get information about certain events or skaters and their progress, if at all. So, all I had to go on was what I had heard and saw watching practices.

I was there to see the championship ladies competition, but what fascinated me, was how some of the junior ladies modeled themselves on past or current champions. Amanda Farkas was a dead ringer for Jill Trenary. Lisa Mattris has Tonya Harding's spunk. Caroline Song was a lot like Yamaguchi and Tanya Street had Nancy Kerrigan's style and dress sense. Each of these skaters along with Lefki Terzakis, Jennifer Verili and Teresa Aiello projected what I thought at the time, a possible glimpse into the future. What surprised me was that a tiny 11 year old who placed eighth with a pair of shaky technical skates, would the very next year trump them all.

The sport has so many variables, you can simply never know how things will turn out.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Maybe someone better would have been born... she'd have 3 Olympic Golds.

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for those reminisces, essence of soy. From my perspective, I doubt anyone else will be able to say anything as eloquent and as resonant in this beside-the-point, ridiculous and apparently tongue-in-cheek off-season thread.

And thanks, again! :)

ETA:
    Ah, but Skittl1321, actually came quite laughably close. :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  5. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

6. munow

munow New Member

Lol!

7. Skittl1321

I do my best :)

Fun to see someone mention Tanya Street. She coaches at our rink sometimes, I took a figures lesson from her. I suck at figures.

8. aftershocks

^^ Hey, but look at it this way: At least you know how to do figures. I doubt that can be said of many top skaters today, aside from Patrick Chan. I think some skaters are starting to incorporate a bit of figures practice into their training schedules ... but more is better!

Oh, and btw, I think what Frank Carroll had to say about actually born and still living legend MK in the latest Skating Lesson Podcast interview (Part 1) is also very eloquent and resonant!

9. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE STATE OF THE US ART SCENE WOULD BE IF ANDY WARHOL HAD NEVER BEEN BORN???!!!

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Skittl1321

What would the state of the US be if George Washington had never been born?

Alixana and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

We would be the Soviet States of Amerika! :p

12. Skittl1321

So we'd have better pairs skaters?

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: One would hope!

But did any of the US ladies attempt to mimic Kwan? I never saw it; Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikodinov and others all seemed different and diverse to me.

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Oh, but the amount of bare midriff Salome-like dresses and vaguely middle-Eastern posing that showed up at lower levels after 1996 was just :eek: and :scream: -worthy. For a good 5 years after Kwan did that program.

15. aftershocks

:rofl: :respec:

:rofl:

What would the state of our minds be if figure skating had never been born???

Actually, there seemed to be a kind of waiting period at the U.S. senior ladies level until Kimmie Meissner one season appeared in a red Salome get-up with horrendous eye make-up. FSU was full of advice that season for Kimmie to drop the Kwan wannabe act and just find out who she herself was BORN to be. :lol:

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if she had never been born, harry bailey would have never saved all of those men and mary would work in the library

17. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I actually think apart from Kwan U.S ladies skating went into decline after the 1992. The quality of skating at the 1993 Nationals speaks to that. For awhile it was Kerrigan or nothing, and thank goodness Kwan was coming up around then as there wasnt much else. The U.S women had nowhere near the depth they used to, and apart from Kwan have rarely had the top end quality they used to either. People talk about the state of U.S women now but actually they are getting back on track, and even if they lack the go to star thus far, they have more depth than they have had in a long while. The greatness of Kwan masked alot of the decline of U.S women, and when she was gone it became much more visible.

From 1994 to today there are only 3 others who emerged who could be considered as top skaters Lipinski, Hughes and Cohen. All 3 IMO benefited a great deal as far as reputation, clout, and motivation by their rivalries with Kwan. I dont think any of the 3 would have been the forces they were without the great reputation U.S women still had with Kwan, and the attention their battles with Kwan brought them. The only exception is possibly Cohen, but in Sasha's case it would mostly be about motivation, and if she came up at a time U.S women were struggling (relatively) and without such a strong leader to chase and battle, would she have even been able to push herself hard enough.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Lordy, it's going to be a long, long summer. Andy Warhol, I don't know you but I think I like you. :lol:

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Seriously. I rather wish I could find someone to teach me (or at bare minimum a good book on them.)

mylittlepony: :rofl:

20. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

mylittlepony: I wish I could rep you! :lol:

21. Skittl1321

In my experience most coaches know enough to teach them. And almost every current skater has done figures to some level (and much higher than what I did!) I took a great figure clinic from Alissa and Amber Czisny, and they are quite young.

22. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Had Michelle Kwan not been born I think Tara and Sasha would have had much greater careers. Tara quit at 15 since she was scared to compete against Michelle anymore, and Sasha felt mentally burdened by having to skate perfectly at Nationals and other events to beat Michelle, and Sasha liked to compete against weak competition she could fall against and win, did not relish the challenge of having to skate great or clean programs which she hated, which is why she imploded at other events when people like Shizuka, Slutskaya, and Sarah put that same pressure on her. I think both would have been huge legends if Kwan was not born.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Sarah Hughes would be a two time national champion (2001, 2003) and won silver at worlds the year before the Olympics. Her OGM would not have seemed like such a fluke.

Irina would have won worlds a lot more.

Sasha would be a 5 time National champion (2000,2002,2004,2005,2006). She still would not be world champion. She would have two Olympic Medals though.

Tara probably would not have done all those 3/3's and won the olympics in 2002.

:p

All joking aside-Sasha and Sarah may have had a great "rivalry" if you look at the potential they would have had to swap national titles back and fourth every year. I believe though that both saw Michelle as their main rival and not each other.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  24. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

And probably Yuna might not be in skating today, right? Hasn't she said that Michelle is the reason why she started skating?

25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well if Michelle wasn't skating at Nagano Olympics I never would have gotten into watching the sport and I wouldn't care about the state of US ladies skating.

I am also remembering a very young Naomi and Sasha watching Michelle skate to Lyra Angelica by the boards at 1998 Nationals and how very excited they were. God only knows how inspiring that must have been.

26. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Haha I can't beleive this thread got any comments! :lol:

27. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

THIS IS FSU, EVERYTHING GETS COMMENTED ON. EVERYTHING. :cheer::cheer:

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Sasha Cohen would have won a few more National Titles. And Sarah Hughes might have won one too.

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Tara was scared to compete against Michelle? Say what you want about Tara but she was never intimidated by anyone including Michelle.

30. angelflies

angelflies Member

Going strictly by results Sasha would have 4 more and Sarah 2 more. The Europeans would have been much happier facing them than Kwan though. Much easier competition.