What would have happened at 96 Worlds if Ito had skated perfectly as well

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Aug 16, 2010.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Everyone remembers the amazing and still debated duel between Kwan and Chen at the 96 Worlds. Midori Ito had come back for this season and reportedly was tearing it up in practice but bombed in the actual event. How would the event have gone had Ito skated as well as she did in practices with the triple axel going up against the amazing performances Kwan and Chen both had.
  2. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

It is hard to tell because there is no way of knowing how a perfect skate from Ito might have affected the other two. For example, the extra pressure may have meant Michelle landed her 3/3 -- or it may have meant that she fell; I can't even guess how Chen Lu may have altered her program.

I also don't know how high Midori's second mark should have been -- but probably, good enough to secure her the gold. Maybe, instead of performances that should have resulted in duplicate golds (IMO, Chen and Kwan should have tied), there should have been triplicate golds!
  3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Well, what did the reports say, exactly?

Are you suggesting she skated perfectly?

Are you suggesting she skated well, but not perfectly?

I mean, who knows what would have happened? Would the judges have cared given Kwan's amazing performance?

And why are you so interested in what ifs? I mean, basically this is asking, given how you are currently imagining Midori skating, where would you place the performance in your head. And if I know you, you'll argue whatever your already-decided point is against everyone else's as soon as they say anything slightly different as though they have no idea what they're talking about.
  4. judgejudy27

Oh you again. Thank goodness for the ignore button, cant believe I havent used it sooner. :D
  5. floskate

floskate Vacant

What a totally clean SP & LP with 7 triples? I'm guessing 3rd. Or would the judges have rolled out the 6.0's for technical merit as they did for her in 89 - 92 and propped her up towards the OGM in Nagano? Who knows. It's such a shame she was so underweight in Edmonton leading to her anaemia. I've never seen her look worse and as a huuuge fan of Ito's, the whole week just broke my heart. She looked absolutely haggard after the SP. It's really amazing she was able to skate at all considering the physical state she was in. :eek:
  6. judgejudy27

I think the plan when she first came back was to go until Nagano. After Worlds though she retired from skating altogether, did not even return to the pro ranks, before returning many years later for the occasional Open Pro-Am. I saw her at the Japan Open in late 2000 where she came 3rd behind Butyrskaya and Slutskaya and it was the 1st time I had seen her skate since 96. She even tried a triple axel and almost landed it cleanly.

I missed her so much in the pro ranks. She and Yamaguchi continued their amazing rivalry into the pros, and Yuka Sato was just coming into her own as a pro and challenging both when Ito left the pro ranks. Had her amateur comeback went well though it would have been fun to see her at the 98 Games too of course. It was just sad how she looked at Worlds and how she dissapeared afterwords. Such a loss to figure skating.
  7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Slightly OT, but I had heard that the JSF was pushing Midori to reinstate and compete towards Nagano '98. If so, isn't it odd that they didn't push Yuka Sato instead, who had only retired in '94 and judging by her pro career, maybe was in better shape?
  8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with michiruwater. Why do you bother to make these threads if you don't give a "rat's ass" about what we think?

:eek: :rolleyes:
  9. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

The gravity of the situation, in flowers alone, would have caused earth to collapse on itself :encore:
  10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Ito's Cinderella program paled in comparison to Chen's Rach and MK's Salome programs, but I think if she was on 100%, nailed everything, and her bubbly personality shone through then the judges would've placed her 1st.
  11. bardtoob

I think the judges would have been tickled to death to give Ito another World Championship, particularly post-figures.
  12. judgejudy27

It could be marketability. Although I am sure she was extremely popular with Japanese skating fans all the same, I am not sure if Sato was ever as popular or as big a star in Japan as Ito. One that attracts to the general masses for TV ratings, etc...

I suppose too it is possible they did try and get Yuka to return and we never heard about it. And even if they had she probably wouldnt have since her pro skating was better than her amateur skating ever was. She actually was a dominant pro competive skater for periods, which she never was as an amateur. And she admited to never really liking amateur competition anyway.
  13. bardtoob

Yuka did not have the 3Lz as a pro and hardly as an eligible skater. Midori was the only Japanese pro skater that had a chance in eligible skating at that time.
  14. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Wrong.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOcSjJ-bfCQ
  15. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Why didn't Midori compete in 1994 Olympics, anyway? It wasn't like she had to stay in for four more years to get another crack at it. Seems like that would have made more sense than a 1998 comeback.
  16. judgejudy27

I remember it being said quite a few times before the 92 Olympics that it was Midori's final amateur season. However I thought after not getting the gold she might return too since the next Olympics were only 2 years away, especialy with Kristi going pro. I assumed at the time it was all the wear on her body from years of amateur skating and just having had enough of the physical and mental stress of amateur skating.
  17. casken

casken Well-Known Member

The marks were pretty generous considering how she actually skated.

I'm guessing she would have won, especially if she did both the 3 axel in the short and long.
  18. bardtoob

19. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I never said it was consistent ;)

Still, I think Yuka was probably all around a better skater than Midori in 96. Midori had regained the 3A somewhat, but the lutz and flip were hit or miss at that point. I also feel that due to the time off, her skating in general had reverted to that of a more choppy, juniorish skater.

To answer the original question, I think that even if Midori had skated completely cleanly she would have finished behind Kwan and Chen who were much more polished all-around skaters;(even with Chen's weak spins). 96 Midori would have needed another year to regain her prior form in all skating areas, not just the jumps. Her Prokofiev program that year wasn't helping her out any either, IMO.

Now if we're talking 1990-1992 peak form Midori, look out Kwan and Chen.
  20. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I read in a skating book that Midori was weak at the '96 worlds because she'd been starving herself to lose weight.
  21. bardtoob

I heard she was so worried about being judged again that she developed an ulcer and was anemic from the ulcer by the time she arrived at Worlds.
  22. judgejudy27

I see bardtoob`s point on Yuka though. Although many ways she was skating better than ever as a pro she didnt even have the jumps to win against the likes of Baiul, Kerrigan, Chen, and Bonaly in 93-94 (apart from winning a depleted Worlds with only Bonaly in) so what were the chances her jumps were going to be strong enough to be in the fight to win vs the likes of Kwan, Lipinski, prime Chen, and Slutskaya had she returned. While her overall skating had improved it isnt likely she was going to reach a higher jumping level than she reached in 94 and Kwan and Lipinski are far superior to Baiul (even factoring in how insanely overrated she is) and Kerrigan, skaters Sato didnt really have the jumping ability to beat if they skated well.
  23. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

With a triple axel combination, Ito would probably have won the short.
    Her Firebird program really suited her.

While there is no deny the music to Cinderella was powerful, it really didn't suit Midori at all. She may have won the free skate on technical merit, but placed third in composition & style behind Kwan & Chen.

Her combined total may have given her the silver medal.