What will be Gracie Gold's new SP music???

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Dr.Siouxs, Nov 25, 2013.

?

Which crusty warhorse will prevail?

1. SwArms Lake--If you can't point your toes, flail.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Carmen. You know, in a black and red costume... :yawn:

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. A slightly less ear-splitting George Gershwin number.

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Memoirs of a Geisha. A tribute to Japanese culture? :shuffle:

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Something Puccinni. Italian is always nice.

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Soemthing Kwan used. If that feeling starts beginning, take an ant-acid.

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  7. Other Generic Movie Soundtrack. Music tinkly enough to make you pee.

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  8. An "edgy" Muzak version of a classic rock tune.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  9. Something else (DO explain.)

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

"Smack My Bitch Up" by Prodigy :respec:

:lol:
  2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:lol: Well at least it would pay for her skating.
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Confession: If I had to choose a warhorse for Gracie, I'd pick Turandot. She definitely has the speed to hit the peaks of the music.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Firstly, if I were to complain about a skater, it would be bitching about how they are not Cohen 2, not Kwan. Secondly, it would never occur to me to compare Gracie to either. In time she should be able to carve her own path.
  5. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

:rofl: this entire thread is hilarious.
  6. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

As often as Gracie ends up with her ass on the ice, I think the Cohen2 comparision is more apt for the moment. :p

I agree, she needs to cut her own path though. She's really nothing like either Sasha or Michelle (which is not necessarily a bad thing.)
  7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Let's put her in the jungle where she will really be able to cut her own path with just a big machette and some insect repellant.
    IceAlisa likes this.
  8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I thought about that as I was typing it out. :p
  9. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gracie has probably already in her short career had more clean LP's then Sasha had in her whole career.
  10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Gracie reminds me of Nancy Kerrigan, in a way. She's got the pwetty pwincess look, but that's not the kind of skater she is. She gets a lot of hype and wins enough medals to sustain the hype. This despite the fact that she never seems entirely comfortable in her programs and can't seem to make it through a competition without major mistakes. That said, I think Frank Carroll can help her find her style and if it doesn't happen fast enough to suit her fans, well, sucks to be them. Honestly, I'd rather see her win an Olympic medal in 2018 when she's "soup".
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Sasha had clean SPs. Le shrug. The point being that neither seemed to have a clean competition.
  12. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

This. In fact, in Gracie's first senior nationals appearance, she completed a more difficult long program jump layout than Kwan and Cohen did in their entire careers. I'm sure at least one Cohen or Kwan fanatic will come along, stomp their feet and try to crap on that statement but it's true.

And no, I'm not saying that makes her a better skater than Kwan. I just think her jumps are remarkable (or were before Frank got hold of them :rolleyes: ) and that the rest may come in time. It may not, but it still may. Now if she's skating the same in 3 years, let's talk. :D
  13. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I totally agree. She's more of the Julia Sebestyen / Emily Hughes power skater mold. Gracie's free just isn't her in my opinion.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  14. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I actually really like her current SP :shuffle: Movement could be more controlled, but there are a lot of nuances and she did a pretty decent job interpreting it I thought.
  15. Bronxfan

Bronxfan Active Member

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

MUSIC ANNOUNCED:

We were all wrong. :fragile: Wait, is this music tinkly? :COP:
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  17. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

KALINKA for the Russian audience. Or any other Russian warhorse....
  18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

19. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

Thanks for the link IceAlisa. I just listened to it and I can hardly wait to see Gracie's new SP to this music choreographed by Lori. It's going to be awesome!!!
  20. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

I just got PTSD flashbacks of Miki Ando "trying" to interpret Grieg's A-Minor. :scream:
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Well, our celebrations turned out to be premature. The beginning of the first movement would have been perfect but unfortunately, the softer, more lyrical part of the second movement is being used. :wall:

Reports from her first outing of it are meh. Too bad, this music has such potential for Gracie's style of skating.
  22. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I'll wait to see it, but leave it to Lori to pick out the least best part of this great piece of music.
  23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

24. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

marysy uploaded this video from the show (thanks again marysy!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idjEkR-Bs8

It's okay for a first run I guess. I didn't have a problem with Gracie's original SP. I just hope this one still pulls in the marks she was getting during the GP.
  25. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I, for one, lurrrrrrrve this music. Gracie looks exquisite, very powerful and elegant. It is a great vehicle for her to show us what she can do. Bravo Team Gracie! :encore:
  26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Wow, I am changing my mind for the second time. I LOVE THIS!!! This is, by far and away, the best program I've ever seen Gracie skate to. Windmilling was kept to a minimum and her arms and carriage were quite beautiful most of the time! That's a huge, monster improvement over a short period of time. My hat's off to Frank Carroll! Finally, she is looking like a top tier senior lady who can do more than (occasionally) land jumps. :eek: :respec: This is gorgeous. I knew we would see improvement once she went to Carroll but I didn't think we would see it so soon.
  27. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

This new one is much more elegant and proper vehicle for Olympics. Love Lori. Also it's surely a Carroll program
  28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel about this yet (the opening part works, but the steps and the rearrangement of the elements...not sure). It's fine really, but I just object on principle to her being put into this "soft, delicate/elegant" box that all US ladies skaters must live in, apparently.
  29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

You know how I was against Gracie skating to a lyrical program, literally just a few posts ago. But here she demonstrates that she can skate a program like that as well as any "pretty princess," with the term used without the pejorative meaning. Beautiful. Coulda knocked me down with a feather.
  30. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

WOW this program is unbelievably beautiful and Olympic-worthy. I am an Ashley Wagner fan and usually think Gracie is meh, but this is an AMAZING program. If Lori makes more programs like this for Gracie she'll have won me over as a fan in no time. Maybe Ashley can start to use Lori Nichol too? ahahah :)

BRAVO Gracie Gold, Frank Carroll, and Lori Nichol.
  31. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I absolutely adore Grieg's Piano Concerto, so I'm ok with this choice. Good luck, Gracie!
  32. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed the new short program! Gracie has shown improvement already and I love the music so much.
  33. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I liked that much better than the Gershwin program. I look forward to seeing that again at Nationals.
  34. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I love Gracie's new SP. It is Olympic caliber. She has so many lovely moments in the program. If she hits it in competition it will score really well. I know some people have said the program is not Gracie. But I think this is the type of skater she wants to be. She looks like she loves the program.

Is there time to get a new LP?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  35. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

One of my favorite pieces of music of all time.

Freakin' Liashenko had a great program to it, as did Ryan Jahnke. Miki Ando was pretty much unbeaten with her version.

Upon first viewing, I think there are some nice moments, but I don't love this program. I think longer cuts would work better as a free skate, and I feel her former short program was more cohesive.

I guess I'll have to watch it a few more times.
  36. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

OMG, now THAT is an Olympic program! What a transformation, if the face was not shown, I would not have known it was Gracie Gold! Beautiful articulation of the arms , movement is supple and timed so well to the phrasing of the music. Even the 'mitten hands' have been separated into beautifully articulated fingers. Big kudos to Frank and Lori (and eville USFS for force feeding Gracie and her entourage their way :lol: ), I knew all along this was the right move, but the improvement has exceeded what I had thought was remotely reasonable. Honestly I have always strongly supported Gracie, but never really thought she was at all refined or articulate until now. Of course, a big kudos to Gracie herself, too, she must have worked so very hard to make this happen in such a short time.

:respec:

ETA: she should just tell her twin that the borrowed dress is now 'MINE'. The whole package work so well.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  37. shah

shah Well-Known Member

Glebova also skated to this :p.

I admit I really like this short. Obviously not as edgy as Gershwin, but if skated sans mistakes, it has a potential to score very well!
  38. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Frank is an excellent coach, especially, if he has a skater who is willing to put in the work and time.
  39. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

True. I just watched Gracie's new sp....Much improved, IMHO..
  40. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm not as blown away as some of you appear to be. Cross posting from Golden Skate:

I'll add to that by saying I do feel Gracie has improved this season as far as presentation goes but this lyrical program still seems forced to me. She's pulling it off decently enough but it doesn't look natural. I think it has a lot to do with how stiff and straight her carriage is, particularly (and most annoyingly) her arms. When I think lyrical, I think of soft, elegant, flowy, graceful, delicate...Gracie is making an effort to be all of those things but (to me) it's obvious it's something she has to make an effort to be. It doesn't seem like it's her natural way of moving and I can see that in her performance.

It's a nice program that will score very well at nationals if she pulls it off...then again her first SP would have scored very well if she pulled that off too.