What will be Gracie Gold's new SP music???

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Dr.Siouxs, Nov 25, 2013.

?

Which crusty warhorse will prevail?

1. SwArms Lake--If you can't point your toes, flail.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Carmen. You know, in a black and red costume... :yawn:

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. A slightly less ear-splitting George Gershwin number.

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Memoirs of a Geisha. A tribute to Japanese culture? :shuffle:

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Something Puccinni. Italian is always nice.

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Soemthing Kwan used. If that feeling starts beginning, take an ant-acid.

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  7. Other Generic Movie Soundtrack. Music tinkly enough to make you pee.

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  8. An "edgy" Muzak version of a classic rock tune.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  9. Something else (DO explain.)

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Betting on Nessum SnoozaDorma. Or Aranjuez.

2. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I voted for 'An "edgy" Muzak version of a classic rock tune' since no one else did! :D

I'm in the minority though. I kind of liked Gracie's SP music and choreo. And her "Sleeping Beauty" is growing on me.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:scream:

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

What are your objections exactly? There's quite a lot of transitions, pretty much constant upper body movement and she's responding to almost every single accent in the music. The movements are varied as well.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I rewatched the SC FS just for you, Ziggy. The sacrifices I make around here.

First few seconds, her responses consist of throwing her arms up several times in absolutely identical fashion on a few music accents. Because they told her to.

If you are into armography, great. I just like it to be somewhat varied. After the 3R and between the death drop into the combo spin she does execute some nice TR and she does them well. And after that HELLO WINDMILLING!! How I've missed you. Not. Mr. Carroll! Make it stop!!! :drama: Literally almost nothing but windmilling from then on until the so-called "Ina" into the 3F. C'mon, Gracie, your back if flexible enough for a decent Ina.

Then a whole lot of nothing special and fall on the lutz, then step out on sal. There is not much aside from the spin between that and the 2A-2T-2T. The spin is well placed to the harp arpeggios. Again, literally a few seconds of TR which are again, not bad including spirals and a half-hearted Russian split. Into the final spin (her spins are good, I like that she doesn't lose speed when she transitions to the Bielmann) and final position. This is not catering to her strengths as a skater but FC might do something with it, like add TR and stop the windmilling. Windmilling to a Tchaikovsky ballet should be an automatic deduction. :EVILLE: It's an affront to everything a Tchaikovsky ballet represents and causes death in my Russian ballet uber's soul. :drama:

Another thing, which is very minor but since we are on the subject. I like her dress, hair and make up. Hooray for a lipstick color that's not bright red for a change. She looks great, I start thinking she may be the Lilac Fairy. But then the program starts with the Carabosse theme and there's talk about her being a "power witch" whatever that means. The Lilac Fairy is no power witch--she is gentle, soothing and non-confrontational, as is her theme, featured later in Gracie's free skate. The Lilac Fairy does protect the Princess to an extent and does ward off the evil fairy Carabosse but not before the latter wreaks serious havoc. A power witch would have kicked Carabosse's a$$ from here into the next Perrault fairy tale.

And before SC Gracie wore a pink dress that traditionally designates the Princess Aurora. :confused:

So what is she portraying here? She doesn't have to portray anyone of course, just interpret the music but her dress is lilac so you think of the Lilac Fairy but then...etc. For instance, Kwan just skated to Spartacus in a dark red dress and wasn't portraying anyone to my knowledge. And that's fine. Sleeping Beauty is a story ballet so you can't help but expect a story, especially if the skater is wearing a costume of one of the characters. That's what confuses me a bit. A minor point, compared to the above but still. To me this "evolution" from the "power witch" to pink Princess to Lilac Fairy represents not someone from the story but rather Gracie's own confused identity as a skater.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:lol: Was it level 3 or 4 Windmilling?

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Level 4 all the way! :D She should receive federal subsidies as a clean energy source.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Given most skaters don't bother to respond to the music whatsoever, most of the time, I'm very happy with somebody throwing their arms up and down instead of doing nothing. :)

Whatever music she picks, the issues with her posture and lack of body awareness are going to be there and you're all going to bitch because she's not Kwan2. At least that program has some actual choreography and transitions.

9. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. IMHO, Angela is one of the most artistic female skaters the U.S. has produced in recent decades. She skated with SOUL.

Having said that, I know this is a thread for Gracie and it would be unfair to compare the two (considering that Angela's artistry didn't blossom till the later years). Give Gracie some time (maybe 3 or 4), and perhaps she'll grow into a beautiful skater that touches the hearts of many.

10. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Really? Kwan2? Gold is so unlike Kwan, I don't even know where to begin. I would never compare them or hope Gold becomes Kwan. She couldn't be a more different skater, and I hope Carroll sees that. BUT, she could improve on her posture and arms/hands. But every skater can improve on something.

O-

11. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

"Smack My Bitch Up" by Prodigy :respec:

:lol:

12. Aussie Willy

:lol: Well at least it would pay for her skating.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Confession: If I had to choose a warhorse for Gracie, I'd pick Turandot. She definitely has the speed to hit the peaks of the music.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Firstly, if I were to complain about a skater, it would be bitching about how they are not Cohen 2, not Kwan. Secondly, it would never occur to me to compare Gracie to either. In time she should be able to carve her own path.

15. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

:rofl: this entire thread is hilarious.

16. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

As often as Gracie ends up with her ass on the ice, I think the Cohen2 comparision is more apt for the moment. :p

I agree, she needs to cut her own path though. She's really nothing like either Sasha or Michelle (which is not necessarily a bad thing.)

17. Aussie Willy

Let's put her in the jungle where she will really be able to cut her own path with just a big machette and some insect repellant.

IceAlisa likes this.
  18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I thought about that as I was typing it out. :p

19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gracie has probably already in her short career had more clean LP's then Sasha had in her whole career.

20. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Gracie reminds me of Nancy Kerrigan, in a way. She's got the pwetty pwincess look, but that's not the kind of skater she is. She gets a lot of hype and wins enough medals to sustain the hype. This despite the fact that she never seems entirely comfortable in her programs and can't seem to make it through a competition without major mistakes. That said, I think Frank Carroll can help her find her style and if it doesn't happen fast enough to suit her fans, well, sucks to be them. Honestly, I'd rather see her win an Olympic medal in 2018 when she's "soup".

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Sasha had clean SPs. Le shrug. The point being that neither seemed to have a clean competition.

22. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

This. In fact, in Gracie's first senior nationals appearance, she completed a more difficult long program jump layout than Kwan and Cohen did in their entire careers. I'm sure at least one Cohen or Kwan fanatic will come along, stomp their feet and try to crap on that statement but it's true.

And no, I'm not saying that makes her a better skater than Kwan. I just think her jumps are remarkable (or were before Frank got hold of them :rolleyes: ) and that the rest may come in time. It may not, but it still may. Now if she's skating the same in 3 years, let's talk. :D

23. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I totally agree. She's more of the Julia Sebestyen / Emily Hughes power skater mold. Gracie's free just isn't her in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  24. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I actually really like her current SP :shuffle: Movement could be more controlled, but there are a lot of nuances and she did a pretty decent job interpreting it I thought.

25. Bronxfan

Bronxfan Active Member

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

MUSIC ANNOUNCED:

We were all wrong. :fragile: Wait, is this music tinkly? :COP:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  27. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

KALINKA for the Russian audience. Or any other Russian warhorse....

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

29. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

Thanks for the link IceAlisa. I just listened to it and I can hardly wait to see Gracie's new SP to this music choreographed by Lori. It's going to be awesome!!!

30. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

I just got PTSD flashbacks of Miki Ando "trying" to interpret Grieg's A-Minor. :scream: