What/Who are you most looking forward to over the next four years

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lulu, Feb 18, 2014.

1. lulu

lulu New Member

Yeah, haven't even entered the off season and I'm already biting the bullet on this one. :shuffle: With all of the talk on skaters retiring, what skaters/discipline are you most looking forward to see developing over the next quad?

So far, the big ones for me are S&K in pairs and Jason Brown. S&K have this sort of quirky style and it would be interesting to see how they further develop as they (presumably) move up the ranks as Russia #1 after V&T retire. Jason, well, enough said. :swoon:

In ice dance, as much as the (presumed) retirement of V&M, D&W and P&B will leave a void-in both meaning of the words ;) I think there's some excitement now with no clear dominant team, at least as of now. Although I think I&K have the best potential to dominate, I don't see any team dominating the sport to the extent that V&M and D&W have since Vancouver.
    But I'm looking forward to seeing I&K continue to develop, as well as C&L, W&P as well as teams further down in the rankings such as C&B, Z&G, H&D. I became a ShibSib fan over the Olympics, so I'm hoping that they can pull up become the U.S. #1.
  2. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Seeing how the Russian youngsters will develop and mature, and how all the new comers will develop and who will take over as the dominant skaters.
  3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

S/K for sure, but there are some good junior pairs coming out of Russia who will skate seniors I'm also watching. I also hope to see Mozer work some magic with Bazarova/Larionov. Gracie Gold and Polina Edmund's development, Karen Chen (if she stays healthy), Nathen Chen (same health issues) and too many young Russian ladies to even count. I just wish they weren't all in Russia because it becomes self-limiting, but the best will rise to the top.
  4. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Hurtado and Diaz of course. Kaetlyn Osmond and Gabby Daleman. Also looking forward to seeing WeaPo on the international podium.
  5. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Super youngsters: Nam, Roman, Eric (?), Karen, Nathan, Honda kids ++, Jin, Polina, Gaby...
  6. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I'm excited to see what Ilynikh and Katsalapov do as they move forward. I am also very excited to watch Kaetlyn Osmond grow as I find she has that certain star factor that only a few skaters at any given point in time have. Finally, I am excited to see what Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold do moving forward, as they can make for quite a rivalry, and both are fantastic leading American ladies.

Otherwise, I'm interested to see who does and does not retire moving forward :)
  7. unchat123

unchat123 New Member

I&K and Denis Ten! I hope he has an injury-free next season.
  8. lulu

lulu New Member

Oh yes, I forgot about Osmond. :) I really enjoyed her SP during the team event.
  9. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

Why do people just keep assuming V&T will retire when they havent even given any indication they are likely to. It is funny how people assume Chan and Davis & White will continue when they have given far less indication of being likely to continue than V&T. Seems more wishful thinking than anything. S&K will be better off with V&T staying anyway. They get to train with them everyday and it pushes them to be better to try to get to their level and beat them someday.

I most look forward to seeing if Weaver & Poje can challenge and become the main rivals of I&K in the coming years, and the generally more open dance event with Chock & Bates and Capellini & Lanotte as contenders too. I guess Bobrova & Soloviev in the short team but I see them going down from here.

I look forward to seeing if Hanyu can establish himself as the new dominant skater, and if Fernandez or Denis Ten can challenge him at all in the coming years.

I look forward to see how Radionova does now senior eligible for Worlds, and how Julia holds up through puberty.
  10. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Ladies: Radionova, Lipnitskaia, Osmond

Men: Denis Ten, Yuzuru Hanyu, will Jason B get quads, Kevin Reynolds (thought his team lp was fabulous!)

Pairs: MT/M (said they will upgrade elements), will V/T upgrade too?, Sui/Han

Dance: Ilinykh/ Katsalapov (please leave Morozov but not for Zoueva), Paul/Islam, Hubbell/ Donohue, anything that Zhiganshina/ Gazsi come up with!
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Men: Hanyu (he can develop after an OGM), Han Yan, Denis Ten, Jason Brown, Josh Farris, Pitkeev

Ladies: Julia (regardless of what happens in the ladies competition in Sochi), Adelina, Radionova, Proklova, and all the junior Russian ladies that finish in top 10 at their nationals :lol:, since I cannot pick just one or two. Gubanova will still be too young to compete in 2018.

Pairs: S&K, Tarasova-Morozov, B&L, and a few other Russian pairs whose names escape me

Ice dance: I&K, B&S (if they are still around), Hubbell-Donohue, Shibutanis, Zlobina & Sitnikov, Hurtado & Diaz, Stepanova-Bukin, Sinitsina & Zhiganshin
  12. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

The team of Jason Brown, Josh Farris, and Max Aaron will be very interesting to watch in the next four years, especially if Jason and Josh start landing consistent quads and if Max continues his consistent quads while trying to up his PCS.

I also agree about a Gracie and Ashley rivalry! They aren't friends at all (Gracie's eye roll at the Olympic team announcement proves this) but they certainly respect each other and each have different qualities that make them so strong. I hope Ashley does stick around after the Olympics.
  13. zigzig

zigzig Member

Whoa, what happened there? I totally missed that. Is there a video somewhere?
  14. bronwynsings

There are a few GIFs out there, I can actually provide a link on a day where I'm not stuck on an old iPod.
  15. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Me too and I and K. I always thought they were miles better then B and S. They have work to do and i hope to hell they get away from Morozov. Although their programs this year were great. But if it is indeed true that he has hooked up with Elena(sorry I am terrible with the Russian names) then sorry but that is just inappropriate. Also Piper and Paul and Paul and Islam from Canada.

I am looking forward to watching the Russian Ladies grow especially Julia. And Yan from China in the men's. Plus that Philipino kid was great.

Pairs, I am looking forward to what Dylan and partner can bring. And I really liked the American team of Castelli and Schnapir. I am not enamored of the Russian team that got the bronze. They left me cold but they are great skaters and have incredible lines etc. and good programs but I found them pretty robotic.
  16. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

ALL THE SKATERS!! :cheer2::cheer::cheer2:

But especially Kaetlyn Osmond, Jason Brown, Weaver and Poje.
  17. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Not having to listen to endless nasty arguments about V/M and D/W.
  18. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

In dance, I'm actually most interested in what Hubbell & Donohue will do the next 4 years. I kept missing them during the Olympics, wishing they could have been there. They enrich any competition they're in. I'm on the fence about I/K. Although I enjoyed their programs in Sochi, I really want to see technical improvement and greater difficulty. The wonderful thing about V/M's and D/W's dominance is it was always solidly founded on clearly superior technical ability, for both teams. I/K's success right now is more about timing, location, crowd-pleasing musical choices, and looks. It doesn't feel solid.

In mens, I am most looking forward to Jason Brown. Just hoping he can continue to get better & better. We know that any skater is going to have peaks and valleys in their career, and I just hope Jason's valleys aren't too deep and his peaks (already so high) just keep getting better. And that he gets the quad and becomes more consistent on triple Axel. Aside from Jason, I also can't wait to watch Denis Ten's development. And actually Hanyu as well. Now that Hanyu has the OGM in hand, I hope he can work more on developing his artistic side.

In pairs, I am most excited about the U.S. pairs. I'm admittedly a homegirl for our pairs and am just hoping to see continued improvement and development. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing more of Castelli & Shnapir, Scimeca & Knierim, and Leng & LeDuc. Outside of U.S. pairs, my biggest excitement is for Peng/Zhang. I just can't wait to see more of them, I'm already looking forward to their skates at Worlds. Also hoping to see more of the other young Chinese team, Wang/Wang, who looked so promising at Cup of China. And I'm excited to see what Stolbova/Klimov do. They are fantastic.

I'll hold off on saying anything about ladies until after tomorrow . . .
  19. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

I'm with most of you upthread. I'm especially excited to see how Peng of China will develop. So much potential there.
  20. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Rule that wearing tights over boots gives you -2 deduction:EVILLE:.
  21. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

I forgot--in dance, I'm also looking forward to Papadakis/Cizeron. They are my favorite of the new senior teams, followed by Aldridge/Eaton.
  22. unchat123

unchat123 New Member

Can someone please explain to me why people are so anti-tights over boots? I don't have a preference either way and don't really pay attention to this when someone is skating. Why do some people dislike this so much?
  23. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

It's just aesthetic preferences. I have no problem with it.

What I love to be a requirement, is that pairs and dancers have to have matching colored blades. Sorry, you can't be the only one with gold blades girl. I just can't get behind a pair that doesn't even take the smallest step to look like a pair.
  24. Ilyich

Ilyich New Member

Looking forward to Hanyu's future. He's already ranked number one in the world and has won his OGM, so now it's about longevity. I think he's got it in him to be on top for a long time.

I'm nervous about the future of ice dance. I loved how the sport progressed over the past quad thanks to Marina's top teams. I hope that the system and the judges continue to encourage the sport to go in that direction , but now that the Russians are getting near the top and after the scoring at the Olympics, I'm worried that politics will lead the sport down a different path. I'd hate for the sport to regress. Hopefully I/K will leave Morozov as they are good, but could be even better with the right coach. I'd also like to see the Shibs become USA #1.
  25. unchat123

unchat123 New Member

I agree. I would also ban any embellishment on the skates. No flags on the heels, no red hearts (I'm looking at you, Savchenko), so silvery glitter on the back of the boots (Moore-Towers), no coloured soles (Hinzmann), etc. It's so distracting.
  26. Jessiebanana

Dance: Hubbell/Donohue and Shibs and Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje and Ralph/Hill
    Men: Jason and Hanyu
    Pairs: Fedor/Ksenia and Caitlin/Hamish and Vanessa/Morgan
    Ladies: No one, not my fave discipline.
  27. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Now I've got to see this! I am sure these two would love nothing more than beating each other (in competition, not ala Tonya-Nancy). Good for them, and US Ladies skating.
  28. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

No more major events in Russia for a long time so we dont have to witness the ridiculous scores Julia, Adelina, Stolbova & Klimov and others got here ever again. I&K to but they will probably improve enough to warrant even higher scores than they were undeservedly given here in the coming years.
  29. shady82

shady82 New Member

ITA.

I'm very interested in the trajectory of the Russian ladies. If things go as they usually go, many of them will bust before Pyeongchang, as we've seen with other deep fields in the past. Nobody has mentioned Pogorilaya, but I'd really like to see how she's doing, I became a fan after her El Choclo SP.

Also Satoko Miyahara. I know she still lacks power, ice coverage, and height on jumps, but I don't think she gets rewarded enough for what she does well. Let's hope she doesn't take the Jenny Kirk trajectory (improve her power and jump height, and thus her base marks, but a drop in consistency).

I hope Tatsuki Machida stays and continues developing because I loved East of Eden and he's been skating quite well.
  30. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Member

Super excited about Yuzuru Hanyu's future prospects. His sheer raw talent is absolutely staggering. I hope he develops into the next Plushenko-like-dominant male skater.
  31. bronwynsings

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  32. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

This most of all, it's so much fun watching the up and comers. Watching vids of Roman Sadovsky, hard to believe he's only 14.
  33. blueglass

blueglass New Member

A major overhaul of CoP; Judges who are named; Post competition video clips of every skater's elements accessible to the viewer
    immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.
  34. Jessiebanana

This. And they can keep their rude audience as well.
  35. Ilyich

Ilyich New Member

Oops. Wrong thread.
  36. daydreamangel

daydreamangel New Member

If Hanyu wins at least 3 World title in the coming years and a second Olympic medal (preferably Gold), I will consider him one of the greatest male skater ever.
  37. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention Michael Martinez from the Philippines (sp?). A lot of natural talent, a diamond in the rough. I hope he gets the resources to realize his potential.
  38. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

I am looking forward to seeing greater depth in different disciplines of many countries now that a team event is a bigger part of the sport. Specifically dance and pairs in Japan, and greater support and acheivement for pairs in the U.S.
  39. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Joshua, Jason and Max ruling the world! ...okay I'll settle for US skating. All three of them were already on the podium together this year (just like Juniors, whee!).

Brendan Kerry! I believe!

And The Return of Artur Gachinski!

...I've had way too much sugar this morning.
  40. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

By 5 months. :drama: I'm already wuzrobbing (I predikt she will be my new Kostner one day :p).