What was the most surprising thing this season?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by DickButtonFan, Nov 28, 2010.

?

The most surprising thing this season

1. Mao Asada's falling from the podiums in gp

104 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. Carolina Kostner's wins

13 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Patrick Chan's wins

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Caroline Zhang's fix of flip technique

26 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. Alissa winning Skate Canada

15 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Miki Ando's 2 wins

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Plushy not being there

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I voted for Mao. The judging of Patrick Chan should be the surprise, not his actual skating as he has never been Mr. Consistent.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I have to go with Mao. I never thought she could consistently place this low. It is sad, and I hope it is a temporary setback.

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

How come the Tomas Verner Renaissance was not on the list? Seeing him skate so close to clean at both events and win COR was very surprising in the best way possible! Hope he kicks some butt at the GPF! Oh how I love Tommy :)

5. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

For me it was a split between Yuna and Orser.

6. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Of the list, for sure the Zhang's flip. Mao was of the podium last year, and we knew she's reworking the jumps, so no big surprise there. But For Caroline to fix the flip in few months the way she has really took me by surprise. She still needs A LOT of work, but good for her for trying

7. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I'm shocked so many people are voting Mao's dismal GP performances as being surprises. Every press conference from her and her coach was that her jump technique was being overhauled and that she wasn't expected to dominate or even be ready for the GP season. Then, we saw firsthand evidence of that at the Japan Open where she fell to a 5th place finish out of 6 skaters.

Zhang's reworked flip has to be the biggest surprise of the season so far! I never thought the horrendous mule kick and the scary corkscrewed torso would go down without a serious fight, but her progress on this jump has been pretty impressive thus far.

8. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I´m very surprised about the state of Asada´s skating. Especially as there were changes in scoring system that were seen as benefitting specifically her... If the situation would not be so sad, I´d see it as really funny.

I´d suppose that best for her would be to leave the triple axel out for a while and concentrate very hard on her other jumps. To take the Verner route, so to speak.

9. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Zhang's flip. Never expected that!

Mao, no surprise there. Reworking technique. Last year she placed about the same in her GP efforts: just about everyone on these boards wrote her off and said she should give up on the triple axel. Lots of people thought (at the time) that she had no shot at an Olympic medal.

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Mao, definitely. I wasn't expecting she would have been unable to rotate and land almost any jump !
    Caroline Zhang is the second one ! Still not a fan of her skating, but I couldn't believe she would be able to fix her flip technique ! Everything is possible !

11. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

:huh: Is the season over?

Not ready to vote yet. I'm hoping for MORE surprises.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Mao, for sure.

I'm just sad that the season is over. It seems like it just started six weeks ago... :(

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Men

So far, the biggest pleasant surprise has to be Kozuka finally getting his deserved range of PCS. It's almost like the judges are slating him (OK, and Chan) as the ones to beat in this Olympic quad.

Rippon and even Abbott probably need a whole consistent season before the judges give them the Kozuka treatment.

Ladies

Czisny's fresh skating style for her long program.

Zhang's flip improvement came about 4 seasons too late. And one improvement does not compensate for about 100 regressions.

Asada's struggles are also hardly surprising - but it's going to be good in the long run. I just wish she wouldn't waste her wonderful programs on this inconsistent season. Would have been great if she swapped this season's programs with last season's.

I expect judges to start giving Ando the cold shoulder starting next season.

14. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Mine too.

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say Alissa winning Skate Canada. I really thought she was washed up now, but I'm happy she's coming back. Carolina's wins were sort of surprising but she WAS a top world contender like three years ago. Patrick Chan's overscoring was not surprising since it was going on before. I don't know why Mao's troubles didn't really shock me but I think I heard some stuff about it on this board before even seeing her so I was prepared for it? Idk. I was expecting Caroline Z. to try and fix her flip, and I didn't think Plush was gonna be here anyway, so neither of those were surprising. Neither was Miki winning twice, not really anyway since she has been a top contender.

16. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Definitely Mao. She's doing this on purpose?

17. vmfan89

vmfan89 Member

For me, the most suprising was the performances we saw in pairs by Moore-Towers/Moskovitch, Gerboldt/Enbert, Bazarova/Larionov, Iliushechkina/Maisuradze, Sui/Han and Takahashi/Tran. I honestly did not expect such solid performances from such young, new and unexperienced teams. I was pleasantly surprised and I must say I enjoyed having new faces on the podiums.

18. NMURA

NMURA Member

100% her choice and her fault. She's not injured or anything.

Thank to the full set of "Mao rules", she and her camp have gotten too optimistic and ambitious. Kim was so afraid of "invincible Mao" and withdrew from GPS. There's no rival anymore. Actually, the number "228.5" is the real rival. To beat it, Mao needs to be "perfect" in everything. "Fixing jumps" or "bringing back the lutz" shouldn't be much difficult, compared to three 3axels. I must say they have overestimated Mao's capabilities.

19. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

Can't wait to see "Invincible Mao":cheer2:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  20. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Alyssa got my vote. I was totally not expecting her to win at Skate Canada...

21. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

Alissa got my vote, too. Really happy for her! Never expected that at all.

The Kim-Orser split is slightly more shocking, but it happened before the season, so, meh.

Caroline Zhang's de-mulekicked flip is a close second after Alissa's successful Grand Prix outing so far. Alissa won out because her Skate Canada was more impressive to me.

Yes, exactly. Now I didn't expect it to be this bad right after her Worlds win, but I wasn't expecting her to dominate this GP either. Not a huge surprise.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  22. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

Rachael churning out an inspired (imo) LP performance at SA. I've never really been a big fan, but I really like her a lot this season moreso than previous ones. The judges still don't give her her due, but it's all good. :cool:

23. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I didn't pay attention to the Mao-related media prior to the GP series, so I didn't know she was reworking her jumps. So I was genuinely surprised to see her skate so badly, and that's why I voted for her.