What was it like when you got your first Skating Partner?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Jun 22, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I was wondering what it was like for everyone here (to all that apply),when they got their first Skating Partner? In short...the FIRST TIME that you were EVER Partnered up....When you were completely new to Skatiing with a Partner....GO!!!

2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

My freestyle coach used to skate pairs and since I mentioned I always liked watching it, he asked if I wanted to start working on some pairs elements during one lesson. So it all started out with breaking down crossovers, handholds, etc.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I took learn-to-skate lessons with the person who I ended up pairing with for dance. The first things we learned in dancing together were the basic holds, while standing still. Then our coach just got us to do basic stroking around the rink, crossovers, etc., and then we started working on dances. We both knew the preliminary dances on our own, so we worked on doing those as a pair - which is *very* different from doing them solo. Not the steps, more the learning how to lean together, make the same size curves and angles, make sure you are both on the right beat of the music, and so on.

4. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

In a word: Hell.

5. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

I've only partnered in ice dance groups lessons. I felt like a sack of potatoes to be honest. The coach had to really push me around to make sure I'm on the right path. But his leading skills were really good and it was safe unless I mess up a step and kick him. To skate with other class participants were plain scary when all of us were new to partnering (near fall out), but was better when we learned the steps better.