What type of dance lessons?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by RonC, Mar 15, 2012.

1. RonC

RonC New Member

We need to get our son signed up for dance lessons. He has no rhythm and needs help bad. He reminds me of Elaine of Sienfeld.

Any recommendation for dance lessons?
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Dance lessons aren't necessarily going to teach him rhythm. No, seriously. They might help him be more expressive to the music, but that doesn't mean he's going to be expressive in time to the beat.

If rhythm is the problem, I would suggest signing him up for music lessons, like learning to play an instrument. Which IMHO would also help with skating because it helps you understand how a piece of music works, and that makes you better able to interpret it.
  3. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Would you elaborate a bit on what is the deficiency and how exactly does it affect his skating?
  4. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Ballet lessons are very beneficial for skaters, but not to teach them rhythm. It's more about carriage, body positioning, and presentation.
  5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

You are probably thinking more about timing rather than rhythm. Learning an instrument can help.
  6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I agree to learn rhythm it is best to learn an instrument.

If you want to learn to move to a beat, and be more expressive- I recommend jazz.

If you want to learn carriage and posture, I recommend ballet.
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  7. backspin

backspin Active Member

If he's willing, ballroom dance lessons also focus very heavily on counting music & rhythm. The studio where I am has a HUGE program for kids. You may be able to find something in your area too.
  8. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Around here, the young boys take Ukrainian dance lessons. They learn all the elements of ballet, etc, with the addition of large muscle movements in leaps, etc.
    My grandson calls it "boy dancing". They are in a class with 6 boys, 7-10 yrs old.
  9. RonC

RonC New Member

Rhythm My not have been the right word to use. Although I like some of the suggestions all of you have made.

I am talking about his upperbody movement. He is very jerky and his arms do not flow when he is doing his program.

His skating it self has a nice smooth flow but his upperbody movement just doesn't look good.

I talked to a skater once who said that different dance types were good for different styles of people. Some dance styles were good for skaters that were tight and other styles were better for skaters that were loose.

Thanks for all the comments.
  10. Skittl1321

Sounds like any dance would help him- maybe go somewhere that lets you sample classes and then pick the one that he enjoys the most.

Ballet is great for carriage, but it won't help if he doesn't enjoy it.
  11. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

I didn't know my upperbody existed until I switched from free to dance. It will be good for him.
  12. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

Personally haven't tried it yet but I heard that gyrotonics is great for spiraling and circular movements. Also wondering if something like capoeira would at least give more awareness of upper body movement.
  13. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Can't go past ballet, but jazz and contemporary are the ones I make my students do. If it's his arms that are the problem, avoid Irish dancing. :cool:
  14. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Tap would also not be a fit. ;) Love tap, though, but it's not good for what you're looking for.

Nikolai Morozov, the coach, when asked about this, recommended modern above all other types of dance for training, but my impression is that most skaters do ballet. Morozov said that he felt that modern was the most closely related to what skaters do on the ice in terms of types of movement.

What types of dance are actually available where you live?
  15. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

At least with tap you get to move your arms ;). I think ballet and modern, ballet gives such great body awareness, and modern/contemporary gives a fluidity to movement that ballet just misses out on. They go hand in hand to me. I wonder if Lipnitskaya did Rhythmic Gymnastics?
  16. RonC

RonC New Member

Thank you everyone for your coments and great suggestion!

I am taking your suggestions and talking them over with my wife.

We have a dance studio in town that is having an open house in a couple of weeks, we are going to look into what they have to offer.

Thanks again everyone got the feedback.
  17. Skittl1321

Modern is a great idea.

I feel ballet has made some parts of skating harder for me. I CANNOT cross my leg in a backspin- the closed hip and crossing over the leg is so unnatural after so many pirouettes. I also tend to hold my arms out, rather than bending at the elbows to pull in.
  18. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

That's unnatural for a backspin too.
  19. Artifice

Artifice Guest

At first I would have said ballet lessons because it the root for almost everything. It helps for carriage, body control, also in term of musicality. In ballet you have to listen to the music and count mesures, so it helps for rythm as well in additions to improvment in other areas.
    But after reading Skittl1321 post I must say that it's true that ballet tends to be contradictory with figure skating. In ballet you have to open the hips and put the knee external, although in skating the hip must be closed and the leg must cross the other, that is exactly the contrary of ballet ! And it can be harder to conciliate both without experiencing some trouble adjusting from one sport to the other.
    However ballet remains great, Russian skaters know quite something about it, and we know the result.

So, I would recommand some ballet lessons but not too much, like once a week. In addition music lessons would be great. Also your son could take some modern'jazz lessons, not just jazz, but modern'jazz, because the "modern" part will include some softer exercises closer to ballet that fit particulary well to figure skating. There is this rythm part that is extremely trained in jazz dance. And in this sport does have the "closed hip" principle that won't distract your son from his habits in skating.
  20. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

The dance schools here are pretty strict - they insist she do ballet. She didn't like ballet at all, so we found a school willing to break the rules and she does modern/lyrical. The teacher is not as strict with technique because my skater does not do any dance recitals or dance performances. She does have natural rhythm though - she did tap and jazz for years and plays an instrument and sings in a choir.