What To Do in Chicago in the Spring?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

You don't love baseball, PL. You just love Bigfoot in a baseball cap. :p
  2. Matryeshka

Sorry to keep posting so much--I love all the suggestions, keep them coming, BUT, let me reiterate--the bulk of my budget went to staying close to the Magnificent Mile as to save (I hope) on cab fare and being in an unfamiliar city.

While I would love to go to places like Charlie Trotter's, it's not in the budget, closing or no. And to be perfectly honest, that's really not how I prefer to eat if I'm going to be somewhere for a short amount of time.

I know this is probably sacrilige, but I will make a konfession:

IME, nice upscale restaurants are the same worldwide. An upscale restaurant in New York is not that much different from one in New Orleans, Paris, St. Petersburg, Munich, Moscow, Orlando, Houston or any other major city where I've gotten to eat in a swanky restaurant. (And to me, swanky is anything over $30 where the sides are a la carte. I recognize that 65/tasting menu is very reasonable for many budgets, but not mine.). It's always been my belief that you taste a city not through its fancy restaurants that get featured in magazines but in the individual neighborhoods, street vendors and dives.
  3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Too bad you're not staying at the Chicago International Youth Hostel. It was in a fantastic location next door to the Auditorium Theatre, and very economical for a private room, only $79 a night.

Also, in terms of dining, why not try R J Grunts near Lincoln Park, home to the first salad bar.

http://www.rjgruntschicago.com/

For quick bites to eat during the day, Au Bon Pain is great, too.

http://www.aubonpain.com/locations/alllocations.aspx
  4. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

THIS describes Chicago. If you eat in a chain restaurant here, you're doing it wrong.
  5. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

This was my favorite hang out back in grad school (15 years ago, so don't shoot me if it is awful):

http://www.sheffieldschicago.com/

You probably won't be able to enjoy the beer garden, but they used to have free pretzels and dipping mustard. Friends, beer and free pretzels made for an economical grad school dinner. :p
  6. Civic

Civic New Member

I believe Chicago is a good place to see live blues music if that sort of thing floats your boat. I attended a blues brunch when I was there attending a conference back in 2000.
  7. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Definitely possible. There are so many buses around here... Though I'm not a bus fan AND the names of the stops they give me on google maps didn't correspond with the ones given on the bus...
    But you can definitely walk to and around the Loop, Millenuim and Grant Park, Buckingham Fountain, the Navy Pier etc. Even the Sears Tower would be possible to walk to if you wanted to just take a look at it though if you do the architectural cruise then you'd have a fantastic view of it anyway.
    I would recommend avoiding the red line going into the city in the very morning though and going out I'd avoid it starting around 3 p.m. Being an awefully public-transportation-system-spoiled girl from Berlin I've never seen such a crowd. I actually choose to walk home for about an hour and something each day to avoid the crowd. :D
    But both the blue line and the red line run all night as far as I know and there are tons of night buses. And depending on how much luggage you have and how adventurous you are, you could even save some bucks going to the hotel from the airport if you fly into Chicago. The blue line goes into the city from O'hare, and I believe it's the orange one which goes into the city from Midway. You could take a cab from their loop stops which would be cheaper. Cab fare from O'hare is around $40.

Uno's would be the exception to the rule. :) Though I've come to learn that Uno's in Chicago offers only deep dish pizza whereas it offers other pizza in other states. The menu in Chicago is a lot smaller and I would think more authentic.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

My favorite pizza in Chicago isn't actually Chicago-style deep dish pizza. I like the thin crust pizza at D'Agostino's on Addison in Wrigleyville. I was craving some of their pizza last night, but I no longer live in Chicago.

You'll be visiting at a wonderful time of the year provided the winter doesn't suddenly turn cold & remain that way through the spring (though Chicago is in store for a winter storm tomorrow). Assuming spring arrives on time, you'll have perfect timing to enjoy all of the tulips that blossom along Michigan Avenue. They generally do so in the later half of April and linger into early May. The lake water is still very chilly at that time of year, so make sure you bring a jacket because it's quite possible you'll have to contend with a chilly lake breeze that keeps the city in the 40's, while the western suburbs have temperatures as warm as the 60s & even 70's. But if the weather pattern keeps the cooler air out over the lake, I'd recommend renting a bike and enjoying the wonderful lakefront biking/jogging/walking patch. On a sunny day when the lake is beautiful blue, there isn't a better place to be in the city.
  9. Matryeshka

CHICAGOANS--PREPARE FOR PENGUIN DOMINATION. YOU HAVE 19 DAYS TO PREPARE.

Errrr...I mean, I know I'll have a lovely time in your fair city. I'll be ever so politely behaved. :shuffle:

So, I neeeeds help. I will be taking out three authors for dinner while in Chicago, and I need a restaurant suggestion. I have some pretty severe guidelines, and I know FSUers like to deviate from the standard :p , but these are absolutely set in stone. This is business, paid for by my company, so please no suggestions of "if you spend a little more you can eat X" or "if you go furhter, go to X"
    Requirements:
    1. It needs to be under 35/person, including tax and tip. Preferably, it needs to be under 30. But seriously,y'all, 35 is the ABSOLUTE LIMIT.
    2. It needs to be within walking distance of the Doubletree Hotel on the Magnificent Mile.
    3. I need to appeal to four different taste pallettes. While I don't want to make sweeping generalizations, two of the authors are from Bumpkin, Midwest and are pretty conservative in their tastes and outlook. It needs to be a restaurant that's American or familiar ethnic food that's been reallly Americanized.
    4. If possible, I'd like to avoid chains, or if we do go to a chain, one that's based in Chicago. (But not Uno's. My company has a VERY STRICT no-drinking policy, even for authors we are entertaining. I'd love to go to Uno's in Chicago, but will do that after the convention on my own time. I've heard the cocktails are really good.)
    5. No cabs. Two of these authors don't listen so well, and I foresee :yikes: with herding them into a cab. Public transportation is out for the same reason. Plus, whatever we spend on transportation comes out of the budget for food.
  10. Jem X

Jem X Awaiting Skate America

Here's a couple of suggestions based on your location and walking distance, menu and price. I haven't been to these places, but the reviews seem ok.

http://www.pjclarkeschicago.com/menu-streeterville.html Seems to be two blocks from your hotel. Can't tell if they are long blocks or short block s.

http://www.d4pub.com/menu.html Very close. Lamb stew (yum)

There are a Chipotles and Panera close by, and a lot of ethnic restaurants that might not appeal to your group. Sorry I can't help more, but I live out by O'hare Airport and can tell you about restaurants out my way. Maybe other FSUers will review and/or give more feedback.
    Matryeshka and (deleted member) like this.
  11. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Is FoodLife in the Water Tower Place too casual?
    http://www.shopwatertower.com/dining-entertainment

It's like an upscale food court--lots of different choices, usually made to order (and often very healthy). It would appeal to a wide variety of palettes, and you wouldn't have to tip.
  12. Matryeshka

Transportation

Of all the fun stuff, I've forgotten the nuts-and-bolts. How much is it for subways? Is there a visitor's pass thing, like you pay one flat fee for a week's worth of travel? How close is it to various attractions.

Also, I'd really like to do the boat tour, but according to the outlook on the weather channel, the chance of rain is going to be high next week, or overcast. Is the boat tour still enjoyable?

ps Sorry--this is the LAST BUMP I promise. (she lied)
  13. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I was in Chicago this past weekend. It was cold! I took the train from the airport into downtown (got off at Clark & Lake). I wanted to take a cab but the line for cabs downtown was :eek:. It cost about $2 for a single ride - I'm not sure if they have passes, but I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Which boat tour are you referring to? If it is the architectural tour, it is definitely worth it, even in the cold. I recommended it to a friend last weekend when the temps were in the 40s :lol:. If you're concerned, I think there are also walking architectural tours.
  14. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

The subway is reasonably well laid out - they all converge in central downtown. We took the red line from the White Sox game to downtown and got off at Lake. It was only a few blocks over to Millennium Park. We walked up to the Magnificent Mile area easily.