What Tiara Will Katherine Middleton Wear For The Royal Wedding?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Feb 8, 2011.

What Tiara will Katherine Wear on her Wedding Day?

1. The Strathmore Tiara

28 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. The Rundell Tiara

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. The Girls of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Tiara

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. The Grand Duchess Vladmir Tiara

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. The Fringe Tiara

8 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. The County of Surrey Tiara

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. The Scroll Tiara

18 vote(s)
    15.9%
  8. The Duchess of Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. The Queen Alexandra Russian Kokoshnik Tiara

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. The Duchess of Teck Circlet

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  12. The Empress Marie Feodorovna Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

We don't want them! :mad: ;)

2. TygerTyger

TygerTyger Well-Known Member

It isn't necessary to "love the Royals" in order to enjoy their jewelry, and to look forward to a cultural event.
    Besides, I remain hopeful that Cate and William will prove to be more down-to-earth than the old lady :D

"We don't want them!"

In my experience, we Yanks have a greater capacity for nostalgia than most Brits.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Or even those of us who just like looking at the jewelry.

4. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

We Yanks can afford nostalgia, we don't have to support it.

Stefanie and (deleted member) like this.
  5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I find the Queen very down to Earth. To me, going somewhere like Balmoral sounds like an ideal way to get away. Learned to drive an ambulance in the war, used to be quite the rider before age caught up with her, still very fond of horses, always dignified in public. Seems very reasonable to me. Just because she doesn't go getting weepy and ridiculous in public...

And while I still have my favorite (and if you think people don't give Presidents ridiculous gifts, go look at their libraries) in the Girls of Great Britain, it WOULD help to know what sort of dress Kate's wearing. (I have to say I hope it's not a mermaid silhouette. I hate those. They're going to look so dated in pictures 10-20 years from now, like poofy sleeves in the '80s.)

6. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

I send the link to the blog to my sister and her vote is for the Strathmore but she said she'd have to see the dress first. She also likes the idea of a new tiara for Kate.

I'm watching the TLC show on the Queen right now and every time they show footage of her in a tiara, I can name it now.

7. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Be careful, soon you'll be able to name the necklaces & brooches, too. Not that there's anything wrong with that :shuffle:

8. Parsley Sage

TLC just had a promo for Royal Wedding Week, coming in April!!

9. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

10. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Thread drift happening at FSU? *GASP*!!! My Goodness...Thank you all so much to those who pointed that out to me. Since I've been a member for years now, I've never seen that before now.

:rolleyes:

I get it happens. I mean...No kidding around here. However, when that thread drift starts going in a direction of a topic that's a better fit for PI, I don't see why saying that is a bad thing.

I'm not surprised I got some snarky comments following that post of mine, as this is FSU. At least I tried.

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Their choices were expected. A question: does "bridesmaid" mean a different thing in the UK than in the US? The bridesmaids in the article are what here is known as flower girls.

12. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Can I say that the Princess Diana traveling exhibit is exquisite! Saw her wedding gown (and yes bridesmaids would be us Yank's flower girls), shoes, veil plus lots of her clothes, childhood writings and pictures. A room filled with condolence books was very moving. Her lineage traced back to 1330 on a family tree plus portraits of the royal ladies in her family. My mom was so moved, it was a great day. I'm looking forward to this royal wedding as well!

ChelleC and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Squibble

Squibble New Member

In my experience, most British bridesmaids are friends or close relatives of the bride and more or less her contemporaries.

In recent decades, bridesmaids at royal weddings have tended to be young girls. I surmise that the main reason for this is to avoid having too much media attention on the bridesmaids.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Well, there's always the time-honored tradition of putting them in fugly dresses. :lol:

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  15. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I assume that would not be considered very royal! :lol:

16. Parsley Sage

It will be interesting to see how her dress compares to the dresses of the flower girls.

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know. In my experience, fugly knows no boundaries. :) It can show up in any wedding or any event, no matter the social class.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland is definetly my favorite tiara. It's the one I'd want :)

As for dated dresses- I sometimes like that they get dated. Yeah, it's a bit embarassing 20 years after your wedding "OMG I wore that?"
    But 50 or 100 years later- it is really neat to look at family photos and see the fashions of the time. We can't all wear the same wedding dress. Kate's dress will be recorded in the history books, I'm sure. It would be good for it to reflect the time period she got married in, as long as she looks gorgeous in it.

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think she ought to shoot for timeless and SIMPLE. She doesn't need to gild the lily!

With killer jewelry. I mean, really, if you have the chance to borrow crown jewels, why not? (But maybe that's just the glitter whore in me coming out.)

20. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Yes, very brave of you to post in such a "piranha pit". :saint:

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Don't let a few people discourage you from discussing this!
    Many of us are interested.

22. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

While it's not related to the wedding, I came across a photo of the Queen wearing a necklace I remember drooling over the first time I saw it. If Kate were to wear the necklace & earrings along with the Diamond & Sapphire Bandeau, with maybe a navy or black dress, it would look spectacular!

Saudi Necklace

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Nice! It's a more ornate than we've seen her in yet, but I think this would really suit Kate down the road.

24. Parsley Sage

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Drat, not coming to my city. To this day I regret not taking the afternoon off work to see Charles and Diana when they came to town 20 years ago. Sigh.

26. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Looks like I'll be spending Canada Day on Parliament Hill again this year. I usually only like to go every second or third year, but I can't miss this.

27. TygerTyger

TygerTyger Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. :lol:
    Cate has fine features, and a more modern style. IMHO, she would be be better suited by something like this: http://www.debeers.com/high-jewelry...uctdetailhighend&layout=default_nocoltwothree . Surely the royals have enough diamonds lying around to assemble something similar?

Tyger

28. Parsley Sage

29. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Call me a fan, but every detail of this engagement and wedding seems to have been chosen with care, and yet somehow it all seems perfectly natural. Counting the days ....