What Tiara Will Katherine Middleton Wear For The Royal Wedding?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Feb 8, 2011.

?

What Tiara will Katherine Wear on her Wedding Day?

1. The Strathmore Tiara

28 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. The Rundell Tiara

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. The Girls of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Tiara

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. The Grand Duchess Vladmir Tiara

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. The Fringe Tiara

8 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. The County of Surrey Tiara

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. The Scroll Tiara

18 vote(s)
    15.9%
  8. The Duchess of Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. The Queen Alexandra Russian Kokoshnik Tiara

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. The Duchess of Teck Circlet

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  12. The Empress Marie Feodorovna Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Mmm...I love royal weddings. Can't wait :)

My favorites were the Strathmore, Duchess of Teck and Crescent Tiara, and the Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara. I voted for the Scroll Tiara because I think it's well suited to Katherine; it's very elegant in a somewhat understated, modern way. There's a good mix of youth and maturity to it, IMO.

ETA: AragornElessar, thanks for the royal jewelry website link! I now have another awesome procrastination tool. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I love the The Girls of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Tiara. I think it is perfect for her. I love the height of it. And with Kate's long glossy dark hair....I think it would be set off beautifully.

I hope they have my cell number, so they can call and ask my opinion :)

3. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

3. The Strathmore Rose Tiara -

What a great story, people.

It was given to the late Queen Mother by her parents upon the occasion of her marriage to Prince Albert on April 26, 1923. While her father was a Peer, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was legally a commoner, a very familiar sounding story with Catherine being a commoner.

But part of me thinks that she won't wear one, at least until after the ceremony, sort of like arriving in a car, leaving in a carriage. Or perhaps she too will cover it with flowers until after the ceremony.

4. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't wear a tiara on her wedding day, but instead have a jeweled hair clip of some sort. Queen Elizabeth is famous for her massive brooch collection, it's possible that one of them could be converted to wear in the hair. Or it could be something her family could afford to purchase for her.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Far too many of them are far too beautiful to choose among them.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Is it possible that she might get a new tiara? Or perhaps a reworking of one or more older pieces in need of repair anyway, to create something new and modern for the 21st century?

When I read the history of these pieces, I think it would be such a statement if the Queen gave Kate her own - and in generations to come, we'd be talking about the Catherine Tiara.

7. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

I think it would be awesome if she wore this one.

:saint:

8. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

That's not a tiara, allezfred! That's a crown... sheesh, get it right :drama:

And, LOL!

-Bridget

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

And it might even come with a side of onion rings, mmmmmmm. :lol:

10. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

:lynch:
    Stop making fun of the most serious thing in the world right now!:drama:
    Never mind the world politics.:blah:

How can we wait till the 29th of April?
    I love tiaras and royal weddings:slinkaway

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I voted for the The Girls of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Tiara. Most glamorous and beautiful, IMO.

12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I doubt that she will wear it, but I voted for the Duchess of Teck tiara - the blossoms and little cresent moons are darling! :) :)

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The "Fringe" and the "Queen Alexandra Russian" seem the most modern/contemporary and would suit the style of dress that Katherine would likely select.

14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I voted for the "Queen Alexandra Russian"; I that one is drop dead gorgeous.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Would she have to wear flowers over the logo until after the wedding?

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Wheeeeeeeeee, the Strathmore is in the lead! I hope the Queen is reading this thread. :D

17. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Depends on whether BK is an "official" corporate sponsor of the wedding or not, I suppose. ;)

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. nerdycool

It is possible. The Queen bought Sarah a new tiara when she married Prince Andrew, and Sophie received a tiara made out of pieces already in the collection (although I think it looks awkward & not impressive). But there are theories that they didn't receive existing pieces because there's always the chance of them having them auctioned off later. Many of Queen Victoria's & Queen Mary's jewelry bequests & gifts to their children ended up at auction because they needed money. Some of these were very important pieces... now lost. By giving them something outside the collection, if they are sold later, it won't diminish the collection.

But since William will be King, there's the idea out there that she will receive something already in the collection. Kind of a status gift. Also to back that up, they have to be wary of purchasing a new tiara, especially with the economic climate. They've already gotten a lot of flack about the cost of the wedding, so to add an unneeded piece of jewelry to that, it's hazardous, even if they pay for it out of their own pockets. The only way it might work is if her family purchases it.

19. Squibble

Squibble New Member

:glamor: is a long-time lurker.

:sekret:

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't like Sophie's tiara. I don't think the Queen would do something like that to Kate.

:rofl:

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Is it always a gift and never a loan?

ETA: The answer is in the blog section on the Fringe Tiara -- "The Queen Mother lent it to both her daughter Princess Elizabeth and granddaughter Princess Anne on their respective wedding days" -- so it would be historically accurate for the Queen to lend it to Middleton.

22. nerdycool

It's kind of confusing.

If it comes from the royal collection, it's a loan, even if it's called a gift. Princess Diana was "gifted" the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara... but since it's part of the collection, it actually meant that Diana had exclusive use of it for her lifetime, but it ultimately it still belonged to the crown*. That's why the Queen got it back when Diana died.

But if it's something the Queen personally owns, I imagine it could be an actual gift, although the Queen could still loan it out if she didn't want to permanently part with it. Out of all the tiaras listed above, the only tiara I know for sure that is owned by the Queen is the Girls of Great Britain & Ireland. It was a personal gift from Queen Mary to Princess Elizabeth on occasion of her wedding. The ones that definitely belong to the crown are the Vladimir, the Russian Kokoshnik, Rundell & the Cambridge Lover's Knot. All others I'm not certain of without seeing the wills of all the monarchs of the past 100 or so years. But those are sealed from the public.

ETA - *Correction. The Cambridge Lover's Knot is actually personally owned by the Queen. Queen Mary left it to her in her will, and not the "crown". As for the Hanover Fringe, Queen Mary gave it to the Queen Mother in 1936. I have no idea if the Queen Mother left it to Elizabeth or the crown in her will.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Interesting that Girls of Great Britain and Ireland was a gift to the Queen for her wedding, but according to the Fringe Tiara text, she wore a different one for her wedding.

24. nerdycool

The Hanover Fringe was Elizabeth's "something borrowed".

25. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

One other interesting tidbit about the Fringe that the Queen wore for her Wedding...

When the time came to attach the veil and then put it on the then Princess' head, the Tiara broke!! There was a very panicked phone call to the Royal Jewellers and then someone was despatched to Buckingham Palace tout suit to do a quick "patch job" for the then HRH to wear that morning.

If you look carefully at the pictures of that day, you can see where the Tiara looks a bit uneven. That's where the break took place.

BTW, The Queen's Wedding Dress is still one of my all time favourites. I was shocked to hear though that a couple of years ago when The Royal Collection held a Royal Wedding Dress Exhibit at Kensington Palace, out of all the dresses from The Queen, Queen Victoria, Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary and the Queen Mum, it was the The Queen's Wedding Dress that needed the most restoration work on it. You would have thought those older dresses would need more care and work done to them, but nope!!

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Did you guys see the photoshopped tiaras on Kate's head in the original link? Scroll all the way down past the pics to updates. I think she looks good in all of them save the Cambridge Lover's Knot. Ironically, the rumor on the same blog is that the CLK is what the Queen is planning to give her.

27. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I think they all look lovely on her, though that first one was not photoshoped very well. My favorite is still the Strathmore. What a lovely girl she is!

28. nerdycool

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that that is the tiara she gets. First, it is associated with Diana, and rumor is that it was "left" to William. And second, there is also a rumor that William will be made Duke of Cambridge, so the CLK would be an entirely appropriate gift.

I don't have issue with her getting this tiara. It's lovely and I think it will look good on her (photoshopped pics notwithstanding). I just would rather not see her wearing it on her wedding day.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Me no likey the CLK. It's a good thing I am not Kate Middleton. ;)

30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I love the Strathmore, and although it's a weak connection, Diana was referred to as "England's Rose", so maybe that'll be enough.

I bet she'll go with something "understated," as much as a diamond tiara can be understated, like the Queen Mother's Scroll.