What Tiara Will Katherine Middleton Wear For The Royal Wedding?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Feb 8, 2011.

What Tiara will Katherine Wear on her Wedding Day?

1. The Strathmore Tiara

28 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. The Rundell Tiara

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. The Girls of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Tiara

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. The Grand Duchess Vladmir Tiara

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. The Fringe Tiara

8 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. The County of Surrey Tiara

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. The Scroll Tiara

18 vote(s)
    15.9%
  8. The Duchess of Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. The Queen Alexandra Russian Kokoshnik Tiara

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. The Duchess of Teck Circlet

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  12. The Empress Marie Feodorovna Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

The following link to a blog entry about this very subject, and has the pictures of each tiara as well, is an awesome read. Both on why each one is in the running and the history behind it.

Aestheticus Rex ~ A Tale of Tiara's: What will the Queen bestow upon Kate Middleton?

My personal favourite and hope for seeing on April 29th is The Strathmore Tiara. This was the Queen Mother's family tiara and hasn't been seen since her days as Duchess of York. Now apparently it needs to have a *lot* of restoration work done to it, but what better time or reason for that to be done finally?

Not only that, but for a reasonably young Bride, it's perfect!! It's got History, while not being overpowering and is also a lovely design. I think it would really suit Kate and what we've seen of her personal style over the years. Which is simple and not overly fussy.

Of course, all of that is JMO. What does everyone else think?

2. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Neat! I like The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara, personally. Subtle yet elegant, like Kate. :)

The Strathmore would be my second pick. I love the flowers on it.

3. AragornElessar

I like the Scroll too. It's simple, yet elegant as well.

I didn't realize until I'd posted this, that blog entry doesn't have a picture/entry for The Rundell Tiara. Sorry about that!!

Royal-Magazin ~ Queen Alexandra's Rundell Tiara

The page is in both English and German. Now, since it's been so long since it's been seen, there is speculation it's been broken up to make other pieces. However, that was also thought about the Delhi Durbar Tiara/Diadem until it was seen on Camilla's head a couple of years ago. So hopefully this stunning piece still exists and is in the Buckingham Palace Vaults waiting for someone to wear it again.

I'm not sure if I've posted this one before or not, but for those who like me love, adore and drool over jewels and the piece they're made into...

The Royal Magazin Site

Is a Royal Jewelry lover's dream. It even has a good part of the Noble Houses of Great Britain's historic/family pieces shown there as well. I highly reccomend going through Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary's respective pages, as well as the pages for the Jewels of the Duke and Duchess of Westminster.

Have fun and try not to leave too much drool on the keyboard while going through that site. :D

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't know what she will wear, but I have to say I like the The Empress Marie Feodorovna Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau. It's more her style I think, and could really make a statement.

There's also the whole thing about arriving in a car and leaving in a coach - so can she arrive in a tiara?? I could almost see saving the tiaras for future occasions when she is a royal, and the function is a royal one, ie William getting new titles and such.

I'm really not enough of a royal watcher to know the ins and outs of all this, but I do feel they will make an effort to be three things, in this order: traditional and proper and respectful of history and William's future; contemporary and relevant and personal to the two of them; and honour his mother. The latter may very well be taken care of with the engagement ring (which the headpiece above would match - sapphire IS her colour!).

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

The Kokoshnik and Fringe are my personal favorites, with the Vladimir a close second (uh, I'm Polish/Ukrainian, can you tell?) but I voted for the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland. Delicate, feminine, and befitting a future Queen of England. Dark horse choice would be the County of Surrey.

I really, really hope she gives the Diana-realted ones a complete miss. The ring's enough, and why ASK for exactly what the blogger predicts: "Who wore it best?" (Does ANYONE think the press wouldn't be classless enough to pull that?)

6. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

:biggrinbo TIARAS!!! :swoon:

My favorite has always been the Vladimir (preference with the pearls, but it does look gorgeous with the emeralds), with the Girls of GB and Ireland a close second.

However, seeing as they are rather favored by and sentimental to HMQ, then I vote for the Strathmore as not only a lovely choice, but one that would be a nice tribute to the Queen Mum. :)

7. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

They are all really pretty - and the Girls of GB and the Vladimir - with pearls -are both lovely but I actually really like the Mary of Teck Rose and Crescent one - it is a little different and not too severe. I don't see Kate in a "heavy" tiara - so the Rose and Crescent one works - as does the Strathmore. I think it really depends on how Kate wears her hair on the day - as well as her dress. I also hope she avoids any of the Diana related ones - not that they aren't lovely but I agree - she doesn't need the constant comparison to her late M-I-L to be!!

Can't believe we are less than 3 months away from the day. Hopefully I'll be home in the UK by then!!

8. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

She could do what Sarah Ferguson did and wear flowers over her tiara and then remove them during the signing of the register. I'm not sure she would do that though.

ETA - I like the Strathmore. It's beautiful and I like the connection to the Queen Mother.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  9. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

I completely agree - this was my favorite, too. I think it would look stunning on Kate and would complement a more modern wedding gown.

10. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I think that if I owned all those tiaras...I'd wear one everyday!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Now *I* want a tiara!! I could wear one at work all day (I'm a freelancer based at home) and feel positively royal.

I'm definitely more a fan of the more delicate tiaras dominated by smaller objects & rounder lines. The ones that look like an iron fence (4 & 8 on the list linked above) make me think that the bride will also be wearing breastplates and a horned helmet a la Wagner opera.

12. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I kind of like the Rundell Tiara,there are just so many to choose from.

13. AragornElessar

Sophie did and she wore what is now known as her Wedding Tiara, so this won't the first time a Royal Bride arrived in a car and left in a horse drawn carriage. :)

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I was just trying to make a case for the bandeau :shuffle:

15. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

I voted for the The Duchess of Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara. I think most of the tiaras would overwhelm her because she has a simpler, more youthful style.

Isn't her name Catherine? :shuffle:

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

I would imagine that the choice will depend on if Kate's hair is worn up or down.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I would think it would be the other way around, no?

18. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I prefer the tiaras with more rounded designs as well.

I would pay money to see Joan Rivers compare the two in the "B**ch Stole My Look!" segment of an episode of Fashion Police.

19. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

I picked the Queen Mum's Scroll Tiara. I love Kate's style - simplistic and elegant - which is what that tiara says to me. :)

Does anyone know if the wedding will be available to watch online? I'm in the US and don't have a TV...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  20. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

God I hope so. If we go by the recent Swedish royal wedding, the US got squat on TV. CNN bought the rights to it and didn't even show it live... we just got little clips of it throughout the day. Good thing it was shown live online. But Charles & Diana's wedding was shown live, so maybe we'll get it live? Who knows.

21. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I like the Rundell, the Fringe and the Kokoshnik :inavoid:

22. SwingDancer

SwingDancer Active Member

I love the The Girls of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Tiara, it is perfect.

The real story behind all of the Crown Jewels that we see, that once belonged to the Romanovs is that, the King and Queen refused to save their Russian cousins from being murdered by the Boleshiviks, BUT they had no problem buying their crown jewels at marked down prices.

23. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Well.... technically, Queen Mary didn't buy the Russian crown jewels. Those were taken by the Bolsheviks. She did purchase a number of items from various exiled Romanovs, including some from the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna (the sister of Queen Alexandra of England). But there is no reason to believe that those pieces were anything but personal property. And since the market was absolutely flooded with jewels at the time, Queen Mary actually paid them more than what they would have gotten had they went elsewhere. But anyway, the only royal pieces in that link that had previously belonged to a Romanov were the Vladimir diadem & the Sapphire & Diamond Bandeau. Everything else is purely English.

And not to go further off-topic than I already have, but I do have to clear up some misconceptions. Yes, George V did initially invite the Imperial Family to England. Yes, he later reneged that invitation for fear of bringing revolution within his own realm. But when this all went down, no one knew that the entire family would be murdered. Not even the Bolsheviks knew what would happen. Had George V known what their fate would be, would he have changed his mind? I would hazard a guess that he would have at least found a place for them somewhere outside of England... Canada, Ireland or even Australia. As the ruler of over half the globe, I'm sure something could have been arranged.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

25. AragornElessar

It was a different time for starters, but the Girls of GB and NI was a wedding gift to Princess Mary, later Queen Mary from the people of the country she was going to be Queen Consort to. I don't get the problem there truthfully.

I know someone asked about my calling her "Katherine" instead of "Catherine" and I freely admit to screwing up that one. It was also my personal bias sneaking in there, as I just plain prefer Katherine. I always have hated how it looks spelled w/a "C" for some unknown reason, so...Mea Culpa on that one. :)

26. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

I chose the Strathmore because I'm a girly-girl and I love roses, darn it!

Thanks for the fun link, Araorn Elessar!

-Bridget

27. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

It's likely that she will not wear a tiara until after they are married and are coming back down the aisle together. Diana did the same and so did Sarah Ferguson.

28. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Diana was wearing her tiara from the start as were Sarah and Sophie. Sarah's was under her floral wreath. Even Autumn Kelly wore a tiara.

29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Maybe her choice of tiara will depend on her choice of a dress. Just a thought.

30. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I believe, at least the show I saw that had an interview on the matter with the Duchess of York's dress designer said, Sarah wore flowers with her veil, and switched to the tiara without the blusher.