What the Buck US Nats Review

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Feb 2, 2011.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

2. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Agree... Marley/Brubaker just weirds me out. I'm sorry.

And the lipstick on the teeth... I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

National Champion...Rosalynn Sumners...:lol:

4. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Thanks for the link. I laughed myself silly watching that! :rofl: I couldn't decide which was my favorite part - Alissa/Nancy and their worry faces...Rachael coming out with Patrick at her cotillion (wink wink)...Mirai being a cute lil b**tard...one is simply spoilt for choice!

Most importantly, I agree with everything Buck says, so I can laugh with him and not at him. :p

5. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting! I love Buck's commentary but I'm too old for all that Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus stuff :)

It does make you nervous when a skater looks worried. Mirai's look probably sabotaged her chances more than anything she did on the ice. Love Jeremy's reaction after his bad skate, it made me feel like that's all it was, one bad skate.

6. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

This video weirds me out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1NhQ8S53-A

7. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

"worried face" and "worried for no reason face" - cracks me up.

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Re: Yankowskas/Coughlin: "They're cute right! Which is the most important thing. It's an aesthetic sport and if they're not cute, you don't want to watch them! It's not like there's a deduction for not being cute, but there should be, minus four tenth's for fug." <---- new sig.:rofl:

9. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

That deduction would hurt some skaters very much.

I won't say who. No one wants that firestorm to start.

So, never mind, they are all beautiful!!

10. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I'm ashamed to say that when he said (rough quote) "But they're Asian so it doesn't bother me as much" I laughed out loud for about 10 seconds.....

11. skateboy

SHIBUTINIS!! :rofl:

12. essence_of_soy

He makes them sound like some fabulous cocktail the gals from Sex and the City would order. Maybe it's Midori, Vodka and a lemon wedge?

13. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I'm smelling a contest, give your recipe for a Shibutini

Mine:

1 part gin
    1 part (grain) vodka
    1/2 part Limoncello
    1.2 part 7up, sprite or tonic (lush's choice)
    Twist of lime

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Who is this guy and what is he on? Love the deduction for not being cute quote. :lol:

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I switched off after two seconds because his voice is driving me freakin' insane. :p

16. essence_of_soy

I used to be like that, but when I realised he was part Jerry Lewis, part David Wilson, he'd make the most fabulous skating commentator.

17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I loved that he had no idea who dornbush was, but then found out they were Facebook friends for 3 years.

18. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I bet he skated at some point...just sayin...

19. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

20. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

He definitely skates. I've seen him doing double jumps somewhere.

21. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Alissa and Nancy's "worried face" and the fug deduction :rofl:

Michael Buckley is one of the most popular comedians on YouTube, and he's also an avid skater/skating fan. I believe he skated at the same rink Jennifer Kirk trained at in Massachusetts and he's also friends with Gregory/Pethukov. There's a lot more skating competition reviews on his profile. Look up his 2008 Nats review. It's a gem. :rofl:

22. brilliant9

brilliant9 Member

I like this review!
    :rofl: at 'SHIBUTINIS' and Nancy Kerrigan's WORRIED face

23. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That is a pretty accurate description of him!

24. essence_of_soy

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  25. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

I think MaryBeth Marley was adorable. I thought it was cute how she looked at Rockne's feet when skating onto the ice to remember how to pose. Too cute!
    Odd video.

I'll give them all kinds of kudos and slack for this year. She has come a looong way in a very short time. BUT next year, I really would like to see a different look from them. A MATURE SENIOR team: hair, makeup, choreography. The whole package needs to be more mature. But a great start for them.

Parts of Buck's review were pretty funny.

26. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

This. If they make Mary Beth into a woman and not a little girl, it could really reshape my opinion. However after Nationals it just weirded me out because it looked like Rockne was skating with his daughter.

27. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I hope they're going to get a lot more competition experience under their belts before next season -- she looked lost out there, which didn't help the appearance. If she moved with more confidence and assertion it would look a lot better. (Keauna had that part down pat.)

But the more scraggly Rockne allows the hair/beard to get, the older he looks and that doesn't help either.

28. skateboy

For my Shibutini, I'll substitute the Limoncello with Melon Liqueur.

I can't stop shouting SHIBUTINI!!

29. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

This. He also knows Abbott & Nagasu & he banters back & forth with them on Twitter, which is amusing at times. He also did recaps of Skating with the Stars, one of which was filmed with G/P. And some of the things he says about fs makes me think he reads FSU, because some of his opinions sound very very familiar. Yeah, a lot of things he talks about are for younger people (Bieber & Miley), but he snarks on them pretty heavily, so I can overlook the topics.

30. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Really and truly....????It didn't look like Rockne was skating with his daughter by any stretch of the imagination. He looked like he was a college frat guy presenting a high school underaged child at the latest party. Seriously, I think both of these skaters are wonderful, and I really hope this child's coaches and parents can groom this fetus into a more womanly character before the next comp. I think she's delightful, but the only thing that went through my mind throughout their whole performance was, "How much money does this girl's father have in order to secure such a fantastic partner for his little girl?" I know good chunk-a-chick men are at a premium in this country, and Rockne seem to be prime meat.

But hey-I am hoping they will develop into something fantastic! Really-what looks funny now will be lovely in two years-I hope.