What skating moves do you dislike?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

For me the I-spin is one of the moves I dislike in figure skating. It is not pretty; it's almost impossible to perform it with a straight back, and I blame Sasha Cohen for bringing it into FS.:lol:

There are a few others that I don't care for. Hydroblading, for one. It's not a bad move, but often it does not seem to have a purpose.

I am so glad that we don't have to watch the COP spiral sequence anymore. The spiral is one of the prettiest moves in FS, but under the COP skaters were doing variations of the spiral that were not done well, and had nothing to do with musical expression.

Lately the catch foot position has started bothering me, especially in the lifts and spirals. I would much rather see a skater display the ability to stretch and hold the position. A catchfoot seems like a cop out at times.

Also Besti squats, upside down split are not pretty positions. They show the skater's flexibility, but that's all.

Finally, I like the Biellman spin only if it is done well. Otherwise it becomes one of the moves I have grown to dislike, but then that could apply to any move that is not done well.

2. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Besti squats and A-spins have always looked hideous to me. Poorly done catchfoot camel spins are also ugly.

3. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

The one where they fall on their ass.

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't like illusion spins because they seem very..."Vegas" or showcasey. I don't really like them in FW sequences either because they seldom go with the theme or music of the routine, it's just there to rack up points.

5. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

broken leg sit spins

6. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

As for the I-spin, I only like it when Sasha Cohen does it. Everyone else...:blah:

7. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I like the speed, but it'd be so much better if she did something with her left arm. I know it will compromise her stretch, but it's so bad with her left arm just hanging there.

9. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

I consider that a Y-spin (not sure if that's correct). I do like that.

10. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

I hate what she does with the free arm too.

11. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

I do see what you mean about the free arm, though. I wouldn't say I hate it, but I see why people dislike it.

12. Mafke

Mafke New Member

quads, can't stand them

not crazy about crotch flashing ( a la Cohen, Czisny)

hate bad biellmann positions (slutskayaaaaa!!!!!)

hate kitchen sink spiral sequences

also not crazy about "I'm going to trim my hair with my skate" positions

you know, all the stuff CoP rewards.

13. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Twizzles in general but side-by-side ones in ice dance in particular.
    It rarely works with music and looks ridiculous, especially when dancers do it while grabbing their blades.

14. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything that is mentioned. Also, spirals with a hip height free leg, they feel like an anti climax.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The catch foot spiral.

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The dog pee spiral

The Besti squat

The A spin (I take it this is the one with the butt up in the air)

The layback where the skater's foot is hanging down, looking like a kielbasa tied to her ankle.

The stuffed turkey sit spin where the skater is an a ball, ususally holding the toe of his skate. (Maybe should be called the Butterball?)

Side by side pair spirals where the girl's leg is way up in the air and the guy is struggling to get his leg to hip height.

17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Lots of good (bad?) examples so far... My choices:

Catch foot positions in lifts and death spirals are evil.

Also, I can't stand dance lifts in which the woman contorts herself into about 15 different positions during the lift. It's ugly; at best, it looks like the skaters can't make up their mind what to do. At worst, well, it looks even worse. Ugh.

Basically, I'd rather see skaters hold a position and show some extension and nice lines. That goes for jump landings, too. There's enough time for transitions even if a landing position is actually held.

18. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

When Speedy gets up and moves out of the stands while someone is skating.

19. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Pair spins that go CCW then CW - another example of point whoring that looks awful on the ice. 3/2/2t where the last double toe looks like a two year old could do. Head rolls in the required footwork sequence. Bun cutter in anything but a spin. "Smell my foot" sit spins. As said above, all the fugly stuff COP rewards. Sigh.

20. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the skater. If you don't have the speed, flexibility, or body lines to do a particular element cleanly, then it detracts from the program.

Also the movement needs to go with the music and theme. Funky bent positions may go with techno music, but not Swan Lake.

As others have pointed out, that is the biggest problem with the COP, elements are added to programs for their point value, not their appropriateness or the skater's ability to do them. However, adding stuff for points is always a problem with competitive skating. Pre-COP skater's were evaluated on the basis of how many and what type of jumps they did.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  21. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Great topic!! My biggest peeve has to be the catch blade...it spans all the disciplines. I really hate it in pairs. What could be a beautiful lift position is ruined for me when they reach back and grab that blade.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

The Biellmann spin done by just about anybody except Denise Biellmann (especially the fugly and repetitive ones that Slute used to rack up points with).

VALuvsMKwan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. stevlin

stevlin Member

I hate ugly layback spins where the leg that's off the ice hangs down looking like a capital "L". That leg should be higher off the ice and not so bent at the knee. That really bugs me.

24. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Anything that involves grabbing the skate blade.

25. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Stuff without pointed toes really really really irks me. Also bent knees in moves that should have extension.

26. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I-spins, laybacks into Biellmans or other catchfoots, catchfoot spirals, hanging foot laybacks, that spin that Emanuel Sandu always did--with the butt in the air and the straight legs.

27. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

It also annoys me when people are doing camel spins and transitioning into donuts and do this weird bendy thing since they can't do it normally.

28. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

Hydrant spirals!!!!!!!

Ladies, get rid of it!

29. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Yes, the skater drops the free leg to meet the arm instead of keeping the free foot at the hip height which results in the gluteus maximus being the most prominent feature...kind of like Atlas holding up the world! Horrid indeed.

30. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Ladies: Catch-foot Biellman-looking spirals done by any woman who has zaftig thighs. In other words, I hate to see 'Virginia Hams' gliding across the ice.

Pairs: When a man pulls the lady by the blade...she's doing a backward 'arabesque-position' spiral and being pulled along by the guy.