What should you eat at a lunch interview?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BaileyCatts, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'd eat whatever you want. Do you normally make a mess when you go out to eat, while having conversations? A lunch interview can also serve as an advantage as chewing gives you thinking time :p

Glad it's resolved BC and hope you find a job that suits you soon.

And I'd call and tell them I don't need the hotel, providing they don't require it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Um, yes. :shuffle:

3. Angelskates

What's the difference between eating out and eating at home? Or do you make a mess whenever you eat?

I just don't get it, adults should be able to eat at a table without making a mess, and if you make a "normal" mess, you wipe it with a napkin, no big deal! If it's bigger, you excuse yourself to the bathroom - but honestly, that should be rare. I think saying no to eating because you're scared of making a mess is abnormal, interview or not.

4. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Thanks. I did go ahead and send an email (I called but the person arranging was out of the office) explaining the situation. I did mention that either would be fine with me and that it was their decision. They did mention initially that they'd pick me up at 7:45 am sharp (as well as 7:45 the night before for dinner).

I'll let you know how it works out. This is my first academic interview like this. For my current position, I just drove in for an hour interview and building tour and that was that. This is a little intimidating.

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Welll one isn't normally encased in some uncomfortable corporate blue suit when eating at home ;). Getting tomato sauce accidentally splashed onto your dirty T-shirt at home? No big deal. Getting it splashed onto your crisply pressed white shirt? Uh...you'd be fretting about it all day.

6. Angelskates

What about when you go out, nicely dressed, to eat with friends? Do you fret all night that you'll get something on your nice clothes? I think it's silly to fret about such things, that's what napkins are for.

Each to their own.

7. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Off topic - but that made me remember something that made me laugh out loud here.................(I'll try to make this quick!)

When I used to do my laundry at my parents' house, I was putting stuff in the washer and my mom saw this red blotch on a sock. She asked me if it was blood. I said no it was tomato sauce. Then I had to explain that I was sitting with my leg up under me on the chair and I bumped my elbow and dropped a blob of ravioli on my foot. Neither one of us was surprised! At least it didn't get on the upholstered chair.

Back to topic (?) - nothing with tomato sauce!!!!!

8. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

Eat whatever you want if it's such a interview,probably ought to find out soon.If at all possible.I'd eat something before hand in case it isn't. That way you aren't starving,tummy rumbling etc...(rumbling,can you guess I've been around kids/watching Winnie the Pooh too much lol) I would however avoid anything with parsley because that does get stuck in ones teeth alot.

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Yes, I would love it. I have 2 older sisters so I have never been able to get anyone to do whatever I told them. My husband doesn't mind me either. Unfortunately, I probably can't afford you. And you don't live here. Otherwise it would be perfect.

10. mkats

mkats New Member

No, I care less about keeping the suit nice than I care about making an idiot of myself in front of the interviewer. The suit can be dry-cleaned, but I only get one shot at the interview.

I had one interview for grad school where I dropped an entire buttered roll, butter side down, right in my lap. And another where I spilled chicken salad in my lap. Yes, I'm a horribly clumsy eater, especially when I'm nervous :shuffle: Both schools still accepted me! :lol:

11. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I used to drop food off my utensils a lot. Then they'd end up on my boobs. I'm not sure why this happened so much but I found when I lost weight my boobs stopped being hungry and trying to share my lunch with me.

So maybe it was a posture thing or maybe something else had changed about how I eat that I'm just not aware of. But, yes, I used to be a messy eater even when eating out with a napkin. Now, not so much.

I would agree with that. But I don't think it's dumb to think about it and to order something that's not stressful to eat while being interviewed. You want to make a good impression and even if you only drop food on your shirt once every 3 years, you don't want that one time to be in the middle of a job interview with someone who is probably going to be your supervisor if you get the job.

The job interview where I ordered spaghetti, I was stressed the whole time worrying that I'd swirl the spaghetti on my fork and a random drop of sauce would land on my shirt. I will never order spaghetti during a job interview again!

12. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I'd say just go with your standard chicken breast, mashed potatoes and maybe green beans. NO salads, you don't want to look like George Constanza on a job interview. Pasta is too slurpy and inhaly. Soups the same unless you are absolutely quiet when you sip/slurp it.

13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've found that most lunch interviews aren't meant to be a test. (And if they are, I don't want to work for the company if I can't pass!) I think a lot of companies do they because they think they are LESS formal, and don't realize how stressful it really is!

As long as you have good manners, and don't eat chicken wings, you are probably going to be okay!

If you are in a position where you will take a lot of clients to eat, they just want to see that you can talk and eat at the same time, while not talking with food in your mouth, and not making a gigantic mess. They aren't looking to see if spinach sticks to your teeth, or if you get a bit of spagheti sauce on your chin (just make sure to wipe your face with a napkin every so often if you eat anything saucy).

14. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but I've found that asking what the person recommends on the menu lets you know the expected price range for dishes.