What School Lunches Look Like In 20 Countries Around The World

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by JILEN, Apr 24, 2012.

1. JILEN

JILEN New Member

2. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I am American, but I had to :rolleyes: at the comments. Sure, there was outrage at the typical lunch of American children, but there was the whole "We are the richest most powerful country in the world."

Last Saturday my city had a big fireworks show. On television before the display, a soldier spoke to the news about how great it was to be in this country. "You never hear people saying they want to move to Europe or Mexico, but you hear all about people from other countries like Mexico wanting to come to the United States!" So much ignorance.
  3. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

...I want to move to France.
    numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Um, don't throw out the ignorant word without doing a little research.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/datahub/charts/6.1.shtml

http://www.migrationinformation.org/datahub/charts/5.1.shtml
  5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

6. JILEN

JILEN New Member

Really? I'm sorry bout that. Thanks for the info Jenny. How I'd miss that thread. This issue is so close to my heart as my 2 grown up boys dealt with school lunch/health problems.
  7. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Really...wow so many have no idea that immigration to Canada, Europe and
    Australia are higher than that the US. Heck, we have some us citizen who want to migrate to Canada.

sk8er that link you showed seems misleading. It says with the largest number of international migrants. The term migrant is a broad term that can be used in regards to both emigration and immigration. What criteria are they using for those stats? Because the country with the highest migrate rate per capita is Canada. The country with the highest net migration rate is Qatar.

The US is 26th on list for net migration rate which measures the persons leaving and entering the country per 1000 person capita.

My info is from the CIA world bank factbook stats for 2011.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

So much ignorance? From ONE guy? Who is proud of his country...that he serves? I don't hear much about people wanting to move to Europe, although I'm sure a great many would love to. But as someone who only live a couple of hours from the Mexican border I can tell you there are plenty of Mexicans chomping at the bit to get into the US and they kill Boarding Patrol Agents to do it.

As for the lunches my daughter wouldn't eat any of that stuff, she may pick at the rice and eat an occasional tomato. My son eats the salad bar everyday for his school lunch. He really likes it.

Also, I never remember hating the school lunches as a kid, they must have been equally as gross. The rectangle pizza that fit perfectly in the rectangle spot on the tray was my favorite. :)
  9. JILEN

JILEN New Member

10. julieann

11. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

seriously? any who, one thing I really have to give the Mexicans, who would probably love to move to France if it just wasn't so darn far away, is that they don't seem to burn down entire cities so often. :p
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_civil_unrest_in_France
  12. floskate

floskate Vacant

Hmmmm the British one looks vaguely healthy (if utterly unappealing) and while Jamie Oliver has done a LOT to improve the standards of school dinners here in the UK, junk food is readily available for the older students who are allowed off premises for lunch. Colleges (such as where I work) offer healthy options but chips are never far from hand. :rolleyes:
  13. ribbon

ribbon Member

From that link, Italy's looks the most appetizing to me. School lunches as a whole remind me of airplane food. Not good, but if you're really hungry, it will sustain you for a while. I brought my own lunch to school whenever I could to avoid it.
  14. berthesghost

I actually skipped lunch right up until college. :lol:
  15. julieann

My friends and I certainly don't sit around here and talk about how much we wish we could move to France; do you? :scream:
  16. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what a "Boarding Patrol Agent" is, or how many of them have been killed by "Mexicans chomping at the bit to get into the US" but apparently the number of Mexicans leaving the U.S. has exceeded the number entering for a while now. There are about 1.5 million fewer unauthorized Mexicans now in the U.S. than in 2005. Some of these have been deported, others have chosen to leave of their own accord, and many others have not come to the U.S. who might have tried to do so in the past.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Did you actually read what Brina posted?

Apparently you didn't, so let me rephrase it for you:

The comment Brina has quoted presented US as the only country potential migrant think of immigrating to.

Figures show that this is very far from the truth.

P.S. Julieann, somehow I doubt that you have many friends in developing countries, living beyond the poverty line. :p
  18. berthesghost

Yes! :lol: Although truthfully, we usually talk more about how much I miss Belgium and if I'll move back. :shuffle:
  19. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

The source data is from the UN, but yeah, I can see what you are saying. The link's not that clear. I wonder, though, how much the policies and economic climate of a particular country (not Canada, obviously) can skew the net numbers. If people want to leave and cannot afford to, while rich people come in to take advantage of opportunities, does that make a difference? If the people coming in are fleeing unrest in a neighboring country, does that make a difference? Social sciences are funny that way - one can manipulate data pretty much any way one wants. I don't know the industry standard for immigration comparisons enough to know what the common variables are in regard to net vs simple immigration numbers.

However, I think that most lay-people tend to think in terms of incoming and not net, and I also think it's assumed by most - at least here in the US - that the US is at the top for that. Here's an article from 2011 saying that the US was #1 and the UK #2. I don't know the reliability of the source, but it's something that popped up when I did a search.

Hmm. Looking below, I don't see the word "only" anywhere in that comment, which, by the way, is paraphrased, not quoted, so we cannot know the soldier's intent. I doubt that he intended to say that the US is the only country anyone in the world would ever want to move to. If he in fact did, well than yes - that would be an ignorant statement. That's not how I read Brina's re-telling of what he said, rather I read Brina's statement as saying that she thought the soldier was ignorant because he had an opinion that America is a great country and people want to come here all the time. (If that was incorrect, then I apologize to Brina.) The links I gave show that people do want to come to the US in greater numbers than elsewhere (with my respect given to the confusion pointed out by topaz :) ).

Try again, my anti-American friend. :p

julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  20. julieann

No rephrasing needed, I got it right. She quoted ONE soldier; that's it, and she may have miss-quoted him/her at that.

I doubt you do as well. ;)

So you are from Belgium?

I'm glad you have the illegal immigrant problem in AZ taken care of, I'll let our Governor know :lol:
  21. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

At the risk of straying even further off topic ...

I agree that quoting one guy as proof of "so much ignorance" is perhaps not the best debating strategy. But I can see how that kind of jingoism rankles -- it certainly does with me. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your country, and I would hope that everyone can find something about their own country to be proud. But there's a world (!) of difference between "I'm proud of my country" and "we're number 1 and everywhere else sucks so bad they want to move here." (paraphrasing, of course) It simply isn't necessary, and it diminishes the argument.
  22. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I have not checked back at this thread until now, and while I do not have a direct quote, that was pretty close. I suppose "ignorance" is not quite the best word to describe what he said.
  23. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:huh: :confused:
  24. julieann

I agree

I'll let you read this as to how bad the illegal immigrant problem really is since you seem to be blissfully unaware.

OR here is the Cliff's Notes:

25. Jojo

Jojo Active Member

Going back to school lunches...

There is no government breakfast or lunch program in schools in our community. The Parent association organizes meals three days a week, and next year we'll go up to five. So far we have sushi (or rice bowls) on Tuesdays, a hot meal program called Magic Lunch Box on Wednesdays, and wraps and smoothies from Booster Juice on Thursdays. I volunteer at the lunches, and if there are kids who are absent that day, volunteers get free lunch out of it. Sushi days are my favourites. :)
  26. berthesghost

Nope, only lived there for a few years. I'm from the US.
  27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Which is why I don't present hearing or not hearing about something from people as an argument in a discussion.

The world does not revolve around me, people that I know are not a representative sample for anything and definitely not for immigration.

So yes, there are plenty of people who do want to emigrate to Europe even if you don't hear much about it from your friends.

If you look at the total number of immigrants, then yes definitely and by far too, but then US is one of the largest countries in the world.

When you look at percentage of the population, then this is definitely not the case.

There are many European countries with a much higher percentage of foreign born residents:

Luxembourg 37.42%
    Liechtenstein 35.31%
    Switzerland 22.89%
    Latvia 19.46%
    Estonia 15.19%
    Austria 14.9%
    Ukraine 14.7%
    Croatia 14.52%
    Cyprus 13.89%
    Ireland 13.81%
    Moldova 12.96%
    US 12.81%