What Pairs Partnerships do you miss?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FSWer, Dec 30, 2010.

1. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Say,I was wondering what Pairs Partnerships (just Pairs) everyone misses here? For me I miss Katie Orscher and Garette Lucash,Ktia and Segel,and Jamie Sale and David Peffer. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten that I'll mention as we go. What about you all?
  2. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I also miss Orsher & Lucash. Their gold medal winning performance to "Samson & Delilah" at Nationals is still on my re-watch list.

Also, Berezhnaya & Skihaurulidze, Steigler & Zimmerman (amazing how one program made such an impression on me), Bechke & Petrov, LaRiviere & Faustino, Aaron Parchem and both of his previous partners (even with the jumping issues the ladies had), Gordeeva & Grinkov, Kavarikova (sp?) & Novotny, NNN & Themi, Keauna & Rockne Brubaker, Artur Dmitriev and both previous partners.

FSWer, like you I'm probably missing some teams and will remember them as other people post. :eek:
  3. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Tai and Randy. So amazing.
  4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Berezhnaya and Sikhuralidze are at the top of my list!
  5. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Shen/Zhao, even though they just retired, and I imagine are probably still doing shows or something together. I honestly haven't even had an interest in pairs all season, because none of them excite me anymore.
  6. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

Jenni & Todd as amateurs. I found a lot of their pro programs boring but I enjoyed them when they were eligible & was so happy for them that they earned a World medal.
  7. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

Zhang and Zhang! No news?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th New Member

9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't miss S/Z because they stayed in long enough to fulfill their potential and win an Olympic Gold in the process. I don't think they could have given any more of themselves than they did.

However, I felt that the SLC scandal clipped the careers of both B/S and S/P short. S/P were so close to reaching an entirely new level with their 'Orchid' program, but never had a chance to do that. And IMO the pressure on B/S was obvious in SLC. Had they continued, they too would have reached new heights.

None of the pairs today compare to the top three in SLC. Barring S/Z, it's been a long drought in pairs ever since.
  10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed
  11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

12. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Totmianina/Marinin, Gordeeva/Grinkov
  13. Pavla2304

Pavla2304 Active Member

Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Berankova/Dlabola
  14. pumba

pumba New Member

Totmianina/Marinin most of all.
    Thanks to Pavla2304, I remembered how cute Berankova/Dlabola really were :)
    I miss Kokoreva/Golovking (the Junior Worlds bronze), pity they don't skate anymore, thought they were so beautiful and had tremendous potential.
    I also kind of miss Obertas/Slavnov. They've left too early.
  15. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I miss all the pairs who made pairs skating look like pairs skating - alignment, speed, 'skating as one.' I would love most of the pairs currently skating and anyone who's contemplating it to look at this (see G&G link below) and think again about what they could do to improve the unison/mirroring/alignment aspects of their work. When did pairs become two people out there sometimes skating with each other, sometimes relating to each other and doing a few hard-to-do lifts and throw jumps? I don't blame the skaters at all; the coaches (who apparently don't understand unison, or maybe it's just too hard and too time-consuming to teach well) and judges (I don't know what they're rewarding these days), they're another story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RKu_2pjK2Q Just magnificent!
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  16. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

17. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

M&D, Brasseur & Eisler, and Castile & Okolski.
  18. Carmen Ovsiannikov

See, I knew I would forget someone(s). ITA with Castile & Okolski. I feel they never got to reach their potential because of the constant injuries and illnesses. Their "Requiem for a Dream" LP and last years was gorgeous even if they didn't skate well enough to make the Olympic team.
  19. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Doesn't Brooke still skate? BTW. I fully agree with the people here who miss Katie and Garrett. As well as Katia and Sergil. Both Teams really make me think of the old days of Pairs. Also so don't Jamie and David.
  20. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I loved the Carruthers. I used to forget they were siblings when I watched them skate. Loved their power and excitement.

G&G...just the best. I still remember the Worlds ('83 I think) where Sergei's pant strap broke halfway through their program, the music stopped but they kept skating right to the end. They didn't realize what happened or that they were supposed to stop. Their training was just so intense. Most of their programs were just so memorable.

Tai and Randy are the one pair that I always think of when I hear "two shall skate as one". They seemed connected on some cosmic level.
  21. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

That's how I feel about them, too. I absolutely believe that if it hadn't been for the injuries and illnesses that they would have at least made a run at the world podium. They had all the potential in the world. The injuries, etc. that kept them from competing contributed so much to their not building consistency in competition with the jumps. I wish they'd stuck around a little while longer.
  22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I always think about what might have been with C/O. I do miss them. They had that great connection and two skate as one feel.
  23. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear New Member

ITA about C/O. They brought some much needed grace to US pairs. Aside from the sbs jumps, everything else about their 2007 performances were World podium-worthy.

They only skated together for one season, but Scott & Fein are another US team that I miss. Such creative programs they had. I hardly recognized Tiffany Scott.

I miss Bereznhaya & Sikharulidze, definitely.

I would miss Shen & Zhao, if not for the reason Japanfan mentioned. Thankfully we still get to see them in shows.
  24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Anabelle Langlois and Cody Hay for sure!! Mandy Woetzel and Ingo Steuer, Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler, Kristy and Kris Wirtz, Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov, Kyoko Ina and John Zimmerman, Marie-Claude Savard-Gagnon and Luc Bradet (if you haven't heard of Marie and Luc, they were Canadian but were never strong international contenders.. I liked them though)

Oh yeah, and some might think I'm crazy, but Rena Inoue and John Baldwin
  25. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Outstanding list. I miss Petrov, not Bechke. He could have been better than Dmitriev if he had the right partner. See some of his pro stuff with Kristi. He's way better than what he was known for. Super smokin, too

I'd kick out L/F from this list and add in almost any German pair (Mandy/Ingo, Mirko/Peggy) and Castille/Okolski
  26. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Yet another team I'm reminded of by Rock2. ITA about the German pairs, especially Mirko and Peggy. I still love their Patch Adams LP and still feel badly for Peggy over how that partnership ended. I'm glad they won at least one World medal (well deserved).
  27. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I miss most of the pairs everyone's mentioned (B/S the most, definately). I have to say, I'm looking forward to this Olympic cycle. The pair discipline is going to be one of the most disputed and with many contenders and strong pairs.
    I'd like a Northamerican pair to emerge to compete with the Asian and European pairs
  28. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Moore-Towers and Moscovitch? Dare I hope?

I know they're a little rough around the edges, but look how far they've come in such a short time.
  29. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I only saw one program by them also, but I still remember them vividly. She probably would never have learned to jump, so they might not have had a long-term future, but boy, were they exciting.