What? No children? Fending off the final female taboo

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Feb 7, 2013.

1. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

You clearly haven't met the right cat.

and it is different when they are your own - you know you will love them then.

You really don't know what you are missing until you have lived with a cat. Your life must be so empty without them, I feel sorry for you :(

;)

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

There are people who go on and on and on about their favourite figure skaters. At least with kids, the parents have met them in person!

3. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

hahahhaha that made me LOL. I remember some creepy posts about fans feeling like skaters were their children and that is what got them through mothers day. :eek:

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

My mom's best friend has always been an aunt to me. She also never married or had kids of her own. Because she was fulfilled with her life, I really believed I never had to settle for a life I wasn't sure I was suited to, even while my mom herself would tell me to lower my standards regarding dates, that I'd be lonely if I didn't have kids, etc. etc. etc. I was really lucky to have such a great influence to balance things out.

I feel for a friend of mine, though. She desperately wanted kids for as long as I've known her. She recently married her boyfriend. For a long time he would talk about having kids, how he knew she needed kids, etc. Only around the time they got engaged, he decided he was too old, and if they didn't have kids soon, she would also be too old. Oh, and they can't have kids now because they're too broke. The reasons could be sound or not, it doesn't matter because that's their choice, only it's not their choice. It was his and she abides by it. I feel terrible, but would only make it worse by asking her about it. Enough people do as it is.

I'm actually finding more and more friends of mine are deciding they'd rather not have kids after all. Sometimes it's frustrating when it's the same people who openly judged me in my 20s for the same thing. :p

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't care when my friends with kids talk about their kids. That has never bothered me. It is the ones who start telling me all the things I don't know and all the skills I lack because I don't have kids. Over the years, I have learned that I don't know how to change a diaper (started doing that at age 6 and worked two summers in the 18mth-2 yr old room at a daycare--I know it is incomprehensible but in that job you change A LOT of diapers), give a baby a bottle, hold one without injuring it, do laundry (quote repeated so often from one friend "you never do laundry until you have kids"--of course, because childless people have self-cleaning clothes, towels and linens), cook a meal, clean house, understand my faith, shop for groceries, mend anything, go to the library, and the list goes on and on....

6. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I don't think it's ridiculous if a mother feels that way about her own kid, I only think it's ridiculous when she thinks *I* should be partners with her in her obsessive fangirling. I mean, yeah, your kid is cute and nice and all but...ummm....that kid over there looks pretty alright, too. And that one. That one over there, though? :scream:

My cat is cuter than PrincessLeppard's cat.

7. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I have often fallen in love with other people's pets, never with other people's children. :lol:

8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Just heard a from a young friend that after 4 IVF procedures and 12 attempts at intrauterine insemination, she is pregnant and due in the summer. And how did she get pregnant? The old fashioned way, plain old one-on-one sex without science. Very happy for her although my eyes bulged out thinking of the money and heartached they went through having all those procedures. But they are happy, that is all that matters.

9. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

You are clearly biased. I, on the other hand, can look at my cats completely objectively and say they are the most awesomest and cutest cats ever.

And you've never seen my cats, since you won't get a Facebook page so I can bombard you with pictures of their cuteness.

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I found you specify "I am not a romantic and not into kissing and cuddling". And then the only idiots who are respond when they read your profile saying they love walking by the beach holding hands and kissing and cuddling.

11. Aussie Willy

:lol:

12. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Why not?

For some friends, I would tell them that. Nicely, but still...

Actually, I had kids so there would be someone to do the laundry. ;)

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Pet owners are worse than parents at my office: just the other day, there was a conversation about cat feces. Smell and ... consistency.

:scream: :scream: :scream:

14. Aussie Willy

My work colleagues were discussing about kid poo and vomit. When I mentioned the best way to deal with a furball on the carpet is to let it dry and just peal it off they couldn't handle that.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This.
    This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this.
    Did I mention, "This"?

I might have considered this, if I had met someone who volunteered and would have been good in the role and, eventually, able and willing to home-school it/them. And had big life and disability insurance policies so I could hire a nanny and tutor if he died or couldn't mother/tutor them any more.

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I would amend that with "being able to enjoy sex while not in a serious relationship without being thought a slut." Cause I enjoy sex, but I'm pretty sure nobody thinks me a slut because it's with the guy I'm going to marry. :p

And if they do, they need to get some :grope:. :D

17. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for two and a half years now, I had a miscarriage and we are asking ourselves if we really want to have kids ... you would not believe the questions I get asked, someone actually told me that I was selfish for not giving my husband kids, and that he would leave for a woman who would.:eek::rolleyes:

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That's terrible!
    I'm sorry.

19. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:lynch: to those people! What assholes!

I'm sorry for your experiences. :(

20. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

assholes!! I'm sorry :(

Good luck!

21. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

That's horrible!!!!!!!!!

Ask them if it's selfish of you to NOT punch them? Or if they think their spouse is going to leave them because they are such a jackss.

I am so angry for you...

22. Aussie Willy

Boy some people are ar$eholes.

23. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

Thank you :) I really was not sad, but mad... who says something like that?:confused:

I question the mental health of the person who said it to me before I put a freaking drill in her mouth:mad:, good thing I´m a professional, not (too) violent person:saint:

24. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

That is so utterly horrid! Don't know what it is with people who think they can cross any boundary when it comes to pregnancy and kids. Reminds me of the asshats who thing its just fine to pat the belly of a pregnant woman they hardly (or don't even) know.