What next for Dornbush, Farris, Rippon, and Mahbanoozadeh?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by pinky166, Jan 29, 2013.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

With Max Aaron being the newly crowned US champion, it seems like Max, Ross, and Jeremy are the 3 men likely to go to the Olympics next year, and that's IF the men get back 3 spots this year which will be hard given the depth of the field. Anyways, I'm curious to hear peoples thoughts, do you think any of these guys has a realistic shot to make the Sochi Olympic team, and who do you think will/should stick around after next season? It seems like the USFS is finally starting to recognize Farris' talent, is still supporting Rippon despite no quad attempts at this past Nationals, and is more than willing to give Dornbush big scores when he delivers. Mahbanoozadeh is more of a question mark, but he was on the podium last season. Do you think any of these guys could be contenders on the World level after 2014 when I expect we'll see several retirements and the level might drop down a bit? Do they have what it takes to become heavy hitters in the next quad, and are they likely to stick around that long to see? (I expect obviously Farris will skate through 2018 at least, but there seem to be concerns that he is too boring, which might hold him back).

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think Armin will stay one more season and then go off to college if he doesn't get anywhere near the podium again.

Dornbush will be around a few more years. He was the IT guy just two seasons ago. Not sure what's going with him, but I think he'll want to get back to the top in the next few years.

I think Rippon will stay one more year too. If he doesn't have a quad next year then he'll move on.

I haven't seen too much of Farris yet. From what I've seen, I don't think he's boring at all.

3. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Adam had a great nationals, those were two fabulous programs, skated well, and, most importantly, he looked happy.

4. Proustable

Proustable New Member

If the USA gets three spots, I really think Farris will be a strong contender - and even if he doesn't, I wouldn't underrated his chances. Steady improvement, strong coaching staff, solid all-around skills....

5. stevlin

stevlin Member

Should Richard Dornbush go to another coach? I feel he should. But who? I like Orser or Frank Carroll.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I really enjoyed watching him--maybe this is the start of an upswing for him. (Still pulling for Ross, of course, but if Rippon improves on this year I'm fine with him knocking one of the others down a spot. ;) )

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Not to bring up illness and boot problems as an excuse, but Richard Dornbush was skating under the weather in Omaha. I give him credit for changing his plans and going for the quad (especially since he skated directly after Max Aaron in the free skate). Obviously, his heart was willing and he toughed it out, but Richard was not in the best shape physically. That's too bad because he had a very good start to the season. At least Richard's Nationals finish this year is an improvement from the problems he had last year. Hopefully, he'll stay focused on the positives and keep working toward his goals.

A lot of factors have to be considered in deciding to switch coaches. It's not always that a coaching change is what's needed. If Richard ever leaves Tammy (which I'd be surprised if he did), it won't be because she's not a great coach.

BTW, I doubt Richard would consider going to Orser, especially since changing coaches likely has never crossed his mind. And Frank Carroll is not the answer for everyone. In any case, I believe Frank is nearing retirement.

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

He has been w/ Tammy since he was practically an infant. If they do split, it will probably be a bit awkward.

I don't know what is up with him *sigh*

9. aftershocks

^^ Richard was weakened by illness, IMHO, but he didn't use it as an excuse. Also, last year's setback (apparently from boot problems) has been extremely difficult for Richard to overcome mentally, especially in the high stakes, highly charged environment of mens figure skating. Richard lost a lot of momentum and it isn't easy to get that back overnight. Like I said, he has a lot of positives to take from this season. Richard's still young, and I wish good things for him, and as well for Adam, Armin and all the U.S. men. It was a battle! They all gave it everything they had.

ITA that Richard has been with Tammy since he was very young. They seem to have an excellent coach-skater relationship. If Tammy feels like there's someone else who could come aboard to offer input on whatever aspects Richard might benefit from, I don't think she would hesitate to seek out that kind of assistance. Richard had great programs this season. Maybe he could benefit from new strategies re his mental preparation.

Obviously, Max Aaron is being helped by working with people like Kathy Johnson and Pasquale Camerlengo to improve the presentation side of his skating (since Tom Z's expertise isn't in that area).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  10. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't want to make excuses for him either - but I really think Ricky's had a lot of bad luck since 2011 Nationals. Which is sad, as I had a lot of hope for him after Finlandia this year. I had a friend at Nationals who told me that his practices were great outside of his actual runthroughs (struggled through all of them from what I heard) which made me believe that the flu really made it difficult for him to complete an entire program. Plus, with the nagging ankle injury all year and the boot problems last year - he's had a rough go of it. It's unfortunate - but he seemed to have a good attitude about it from the backstage interviews I saw. His programs at Nationals weren't even all that bad - not good enough, of course, but not disasters given the circumstances. I don't think he'll leave Tammy and I don't think he should. She's a great coach and I think she's good for him. Plus, I love the work he does with Cindy. His short program this year was fantastic. I'm just hoping he's not discouraged. I'm sure it's got to be extremely frustrating for him.

11. pinky166

I believe in Ricky too and think he can still bounce back, I could see him sticking around until 2018, or at least I hope he does. I know he's a full time student at a community college and due to graduate either this year or next, so before he up and moves somewhere completely new, he'd probably want to finish school. Plus I think he and Tammy have a great relationship. Ricky I think tries to put on a tough exterior but is maybe more sensitive and wants to succeed more than he lets on to. It's gotta be tough after being catapulted into the spotlight in 2011 when he started the season with a 4th place finish at a JGP then a few great competitions in a row led to a bunch of expectations and pressure for him to be the next "star" of figure skating. I have hope he'll bounce back, it might just take a bit more time. He's so talented and seems like a very hard worker and genuine nice guy.

Adam and Armin have both put off college to skate, Armin I know is exceptionally intelligent and has been accepted to Dartmouth and UPenn in the past, so I agree that he may well hang up his skates after next season. Adam could too but, idk, if he continues to improve and gets a quad somewhat consistent, I could maybe see him trying to stick it out until 2018. He'd be 28 by then, but there are lots of guys that age still competing on the international scene so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Farris has loads of potential and realistically could spoil and land on the 2014 Olympic team, even if he does, I'd think he'd surely try and stick around until 2018, and even 2022 is not out of the question for him given his young age. His 3a is really strong now, that 3a-3t is a great combo for him, and he seems to be capable of consistently rotating the quad at least, and he did land a beautiful one in Lake Placid so he CAN do it. With more strength I think he can get that jump more consistent, and his final 3s in his FS here was really big and nice so I wonder if he's maybe training a 4s as well. His jumps as a whole are so nice that I don't doubt he could be capable of a 4s. Also, maybe trying a new kind of program could be a good thing, I certainly enjoyed seeing the new side of Adam with his short hair and upbeat Incredibles program this season, and I think projecting out to the audience must be hard for Josh because judging from interviews of him, he's really very shy, so I think the level he's at with his presentation already speaks to his drive to succeed and talent as a skater, because he certainly does not seem to have the "look at me" attitude going on naturally.

12. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Could someone please explain to me exactly what Richards boot problems were? I heard it mentioned on the tv commentary and I've seen it mentioned a lot here, but I'm not well versed in skating knowledge so I'm not sure what happened and how it affected him so badly and why it wasn't caught sooner.

Sorry, confused here! :p

13. aftershocks

14. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I'm all for Ricky being rebooted :shuffle:

15. aftershocks

^^ Maybe he'll choose to reboot with music from The Matrix Rebooted. ;)

16. pinky166

I actually think Ricky could pull of a Matrix program very well :D

17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Ice is slippery. Not wishing illness or injuries on anyone at all, but the chance that all the top skaters that were in good physical health this Nationals are similarly in good physical health for next Nationals is dang close to zero, imo.

18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Jeremy better come out with guns blazing next season because there are a lot of talents guys who are improving year by year and they all have age on their side. I think the skaters who will be in the running next year for the Olympics will be Jeremy, Ross, Richard, Josh and Max. Rippon doesn't have a quad and skates rather small with small jumps compared to the other skaters i just mentioned.

19. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I really think he could be a surprise next season. Why not in the top 2 at US Nationals. ;)

20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

One thing we can't forget -- the year Ricky did so great at nationals was the year before he started putting quads into everything. I know he needed to do it in this competitive environment, and it's admirable that he's so committed to it -- but ever since he started doing that, that quad jump gets so much of his energy and focus that some of the triples usually go to pot.

Just one more reason for me to HATE quads. :mad:

21. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Farris is the only one who I don't think would be crushed if he doesn't make it to Sochi. He's so incredibly young and I even think that his camp said the ultimate goal was 2018.

ITA with Richard's bad luck. I'm kind of scared that he'll never realize his potential because something will stop him, be it injury or illness.

Adam, Jeremy, and Armin will skate one more year. TBH, Armin should head to school in the Fall. I can't fathom a world where he'll be near a Worlds or Olympic team in the future.

22. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I wonder what's next for Stephen Carrier.

23. pinky166

Maybe I'm biased, but I thought he deserved to be a close 3rd here, maybe even 2nd given Ross popped the axel and some of his landings weren't so great. Not shocked by the result and he does need that 4t more consistent if he wants to really gun for a Sochi spot, but it seems he usually gets full rotation on the quad even when he falls, so under COP, that's good at least. I hope the 4th place at Nationals has given him confidence, now he knows he's one of the top guys in the US, and really can contend for the Sochi team even if 2018 is his ultimate goal (obviously if he hopes to win or medal, 2018 is much more realistic in that sense).

I feel like leading up to this event, it was a bit uncertain, Josh had scores on the junior circuit comparable to the international scores of guys like Miner, Rippon, Dornbush, but they weren't competing at the same events or even the same level, so it was hard to gauge how he really stacked up to those guys. Nationals clarified that he is a top senior man, despite the 4th place that maybe should have been 3rd, his scores were strong, really strong, and he was closer to the marks of Abbott, Miner, and Aaron than to Rippon, Dornbush, Johnson, and Brown (not that they were clean, but Josh wasn't totally clean either). Hopefully he can move forward from this, his jumps are gorgeous, his spins are very nice, and the artistry is coming along. More strength should help with the quad and speed too, which I would assume he'll gain naturally with age. Also did you see his gala? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rxGhml4aBg not tinkly piano music but he still held my interest so maybe he can explore his style more.

The field at Junior Worlds is actually likely to be very competitive, with Han Yan, Jin and his quads, Tanaka and Hino, Brown and Omori capable of scoring big if they hit their 3axels, and then Kovtun (if he even goes? I know it's looking likely he'll go to senior Worlds, but maybe the Russian Fed will send him to both?), so it will be interesting to see what happens there. Hopefully Josh and Jason will both compete on senior GP next season. I know it sounds like a bit of a pipe dream, but if Jason gets the 3a consistent and starts putting a quad out in his FS, idk, he could be in the mix for Sochi too, USFS loves him so much and his spins are gorgeous.

Dornbush and Farris probably have the best chance of this group of guys to make the Sochi team, but even those two are likely considered longshots.

Interesting comments about the quad and Dornbush, as his 4t is actually quite nice and fairly consistent. However, 3a used to be his money jump, and while it is still a great jump for him, that 3a-2t-2lo combo he does is :kickass:, it does seem that since adding the quad to his programs, his consistency on the 3a has suffered. The quality of that jump is still great, it just seems hit and miss for him these past two seasons, which is a shame. But it might just be due to his boot issues.

Also, I thought Adam looked a little faster and his jumps a bit bigger at Nationals. I do think he's improving under Raphael. He still needs to be trying a quad, and can't afford for his attempts to be getting << like they usually were last season, but idk, he could still pull it together in time. The USFS obviously still supports him and rewards him for what he does well. And his 3a looks better even though it's not textbook. Jump quality in general isn't as good as Farris or Dornbush, but while the latter two are also good spinners, Adam picks up major GOE points for his spins so idk, it should be interesting.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wish he could get near the podium again. I like him but he's been competing for YEARS.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Carriere was near the podium at 2012 Nationals (6th), and he had a very good comeback in the FS at this year's Nationals -- from 17th in SP to 9th in FS for 10th overall, which could give him another Senior B assignment next season.

Published on IN on Feb. 1st: Five favorite things with Stephen Carriere

26. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I'm a believer of Max, Ross & Ricky & if we have 3 spots for the Olympics those are the 3 guys I'm looking to to make US fans proud. Armin is not done & will be back in the mix next year as will Josh. I'm banking on Jason becoming consistent with his triple axle this year & if so, even without a quad, he will be a contender at Nationals '14. I plan on watching to see how all these guys do this summer & fall. I'd like to see Carriere move up again as I was impressed by his FS at '12 Nat'ls. They all need quads with the exception of Brown IMO.

27. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

I totally think that Farris can grab a 3rd spot, if there is one, and head to Sochi! I am TOTALLY on the Farris bandwagon.. He should have been 3rd at this years nationals... I think the judges are becoming fed up with Jeremy and his BS... How many times can we see a bad skate from Jeremy and then he is in the Kiss and Cry saying something stupid about it with Yuka just looking at him almost like saying "Jeremy, you are making an ass out of yourself - just stop the crap and deliver a good freeskate!"
    The problem with Dornbush is that when he burst onto the scene, it was a character piece - Sherlock Holmes - that totally hid all of his weaknesses and displayed his strength of performance... Without a character piece, the judges can now see poor posture amongst other things..
    I don't see Adam getting a consistent quad and I think he will be the male Caroline Zhang- a world junior champion with so much potential never realized - although he did get a trip to worlds at least..
    Armin will be an eternal middle of the pack skater - the male Christina Gao at best.. There are too many boys out there now who are better
    Max Aaron and Ross Miner are the REAL DEALS!!! These are boys who come to the table ready to compete! These 2 would make a fine team for Sochi!!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  28. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Dear Stephen:

Your resolution to read a book a week this year is admirable; however, Les Miserables and Anna Karenina will slow down your pace drastically. I wouldn't recommend adding in, say, War and Peace or The Brothers Karamazov either. Just so you know.

Fellow lover of classic literature,

LilJen

29. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Dornbush: Persistence i believe will pay off for him. I believe that he is a very good skater. To me, it does not look like he's really mentally all there when he competes. It's almost like his mind is a bit busy and not really in the moment. He appears like he's thinking ahead of himself and when the moment comes, his mind is ahead of his body. It's worth noting that it takes a lot of skaters years to figure out how to compete at the Sr. level. One thing thats for certain is that Tammy has done a great job with him.

Rippon: Reminds me of what i heard someone say about making soup. " you build good soup you dont just throw it together and it takes time". I think that he's with the right coach. To me, his reaction almost said " i squoze too hard" as opposed to " yup...i've been making these mistakes in practice". This new relationship is an adjustment. Rafael is clearly not the nourishing hugging hold hands and sing Kumbaya like Yuka and Jason are. I like that Adam is being challenged and held accountable for his performances. I think that ultimately it will work for him. I would advise that he goes back to a more classical program however. The Incredibles number was super spiffy but not for Adam IMO.

Mahbanoozadeh: He needs to learn how to relax when he competes. You can see he's well trained and in shape. Competition and practice are different things. He will learn.

In all seriousness, many performers, take Beyonce come up with alter-ego's for a reason. She's in her private life shy and private but as a performer she's another person. The reason is because its tough to put that work out there and execute it perfectly. I dont want to see skaters referring to themselves as Sasha Fierce however i think the theory of being able to transport yourself into another dimension holds true. I will say again that most skating fans dont go and watch their favorite skaters occasionally train at their practice rinks. What you will find is that they have large success rates with executing the elements we see them miss in events. In some cases, it has nothing to do with the training of the athlete. It all has to do with the skaters ability to compete on a stage. How many of the men even on the international circuit could do what Michelle Kwan did in 2004 when that "nut" ran onto the ice when she was called, calm herself, calm the audience and deliver? What made her so great was not her technical ability but her ability to execute when it counted over and over again.

They say that public speaking is the #1 fear that people have. Imagine what the skaters go through...

30. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

The next thing for Dornbush is joining Aaron & Miner at 4 CC's this week. He replaces Adam Rippon.