What must Mirai do to challenge the Gracie-Ashley-Polina triumvirate?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, Aug 16, 2014.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Doldrums of August question.

What must Mirai do skating-wise to get back on the U.S. World team or even win a U.S. championship? Is there a technical threshold she must achieve in the eyes of U.S. judges or the USFSA?

I personally think she must do the following:

I think she can compete with the top 3 in the SP with her current jump layout: 3t-3t, 3loop, 2x, provided her jump technique is tight and rotated. She might want to think about a 3z or 3flip as the solo jump to garner more points. Adelina proved at the Olympics a good 3t-3t puts you in the running.

In the LP, I think she has more work to do: First of all, I think she will need to have a 7 triple program which means getting the 3sal back. I think she could be competitive with someone like Ashley if she does 7 triples that include a 2x-3t. Maybe she doesn't need a 3-3 unless she wants to compete against Gracie or maybe Polina. Also, I think in addition to tighter jumps, she would need to maintain consistency in her speed and performance level. Good results on the GP circuit might rebuild the USFSA's confidence in her.

I'm not sure she's working on a 3sal, though. The jump layout of her LP at the Broadmoor Open suggests not, but you never know.

Any ideas?

2. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

She has to skate consistently well on the international scene and be rewarded for it, before USFS gives her the benefit of the doubt again.

once_upon and IceAlisa like this.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

From the triumviruate, Ashley is the weakest link. First of all, Mirai needs to establish herself as someone who consistently lands fully rotated triple jumps. Now that she has a coach, it will help her PCS, but once she has the jumps she will need to work on selling her program. That is Ashley's strong point. Mirai cannot afford to appear bland by comparison. I agree about adding the difficult jumps to the SP. The GP fields are often weak, and she needs to take advantage of those opportunities and start winning medals (preferably gold or silver) there. I think she can do without the 3sal if she has all the other jumps.

sk9tingfan likes this.
  4. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Rotate the jumps and land the jumps (who cares about the freaking Sal)

Engaging programs and really sell them (USFS loves :D )

Consistency

Get Jeff Gilooly's contact information

CantALoop and cbd1235 like this.
  5. misskarne

misskarne #408

Rotate the jumps.

Stop expecting that one good moment in an entire season is going to overcome another skater's consistently good results...

6. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I think that Mirai needs a 7 triple jump layout in the LP to contend again. Of course, she's got to rotate and land them consistently. And she's got to sell sell sell.

7. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

THIS!!!! Rotate the jumps, work hard and consistently, and show that you are again what you showed in 2010.

supergirl573 and once_upon like this.
  8. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Skate the way she did at 2014 Nationals or better, rotate her jumps, and not have the Olympics in Russia that season.

9. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I think that Mirai should skate for Japan. The USFSA obviously doesn't have any more love for her. They're just waiting to push another junior lady over her. Plus Japan is going to be somewhat weak in ladies. Satoko is good, but adding someone with more experience to the JPN field would be good for them. Is it too late for Mirai to switch??

Vash01 likes this.
  10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Stay within herself. Believe in herself. Deliver and keep believing and delivering even when/ if U.S. judges fail to reward her.

Mirai can't do much in the face of fs politics, to win back favor, except to keep delivering, staying in the present moment and realizing that NO matter what and regardless of what happens, U.S. judges' decisions DO NOT define her!

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Double post

12. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Consistency. Energy. Performance. Confidence.

That's what she needs. Those are Mirai's keys to success.

skatesindreams likes this.
  13. misskarne

misskarne #408

*snort* Yes, yes, they hate her SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much, that SHE got Skate America this year. Not Ashley. Not Polina.

supergirl573 likes this.
  14. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Yeah they love her SOOOOOOOOO much, that they kicked her off the Olympic team and gave Ashley her spot. Did we forget already?

CantALoop and Vash01 like this.
  15. misskarne

misskarne #408

Oh my. Must we go through this again? tl;dr: Mirai should not expect that she can skate well ONCE in a season and kick off somebody who has skated well ALL season.

to stem the inevitable: no, it wasn't racially motivated, because Zhang/Bartholomay and the Shibutanis went; no it wasn't sponsor-related, because the only man with sponsors didn't go. If the tech panel had been stricter, the whole argument would have been moot because Mirai would not have finished third. End of.

supergirl573, mag and alchemy void like this.
  16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Did Ashley skate well all season? I think she won a GP with a very weak field, but that's about it. Her programs were nothing to write about during the season. Polina did not even compete at the senior level until the US nationals.So I don't think your logic really works here. If you are talking of Ashley in the last couple of years it would make some sense. I don't believe dropping Mirai from the Olympic team was racially motivated. It was because the USFSA had lost confidence in her after the 2010 Olympics and the only way she could have earned the Olympic spot was by outright winning the nationals. It wasn't going to happen, with Gracie, the jumping phenom competing. Also it didn't help to compete without a coach. There was no one pulling for her. This year, even with a coach she will have to reestablish herself, as if the last 3 years didn't happen. She really has to start from scratch.

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'm a big Ashley fan, but I think you're right about Ashley being the weakest link of the triumvirate I referred to. If Mirai were to 'clean-up' her jumps and get consistent both in speed / performance and in just attaining results, she would probably be competitive, but I still think she needs the 7 triples in the LP to get ahead of Ashley.

18. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

these three points are very important. Especially the consistency.

It would also help if she had one skill that stands out. She has decent flexibility and had a very good and fast spins, but in the last few seasons the spins got a bit slower and the flexibility, although quite good, is not something that she stands out with. It would be nice if she had some signature skill, something that no one else does, or something that she does better than everyone else. Caroline Zhang had her pearl spin, Lipnitskaya has her insane flexibility, Sotnikova has the spin, Asada had her triple axel... But this is just extra. The consistency, landing/fully rotating jumps and really selling the program are her priority number 1.

19. b-man

b-man Active Member

They didn't select Ashley, not because of love of Mirai, but because they never match the number 1.-Gold against the perceived number 2. Wagner, at SA. They picked Mirai because they don't expect her to challenge Gold, but think Mirai still has a solid chance for a bronze medal. Wagner would probably finish behind Gold at SA, but has a good shot at gold at SC if she can edge Pogo. USFS is spreading out their opportunities for gold medals and spots in the GPF.

20. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I do like Nagasu's free skate this year. It does not have the skate - stop and take a breather - skate - stop look that her James Bond program did in 2014.

supergirl573 and Simone411 like this.
  21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

She needs to up her performance level and add more choreography. She needs to get her spins back up to 2008-2011 level somehow. She needs to rotate her jumps fully, and most of all she needs to skate very consistently and try and up her rep again, both nationally and internationally.

supergirl573 likes this.
  22. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

I don't think it's really about what Mirai needs to do- of course she needs to skate well. But I really think she's going to need help in the way of poor performance(s) from one of the three (likely Ashley) to find herself on thenWorld team. I don't think at this point she controls her destiny.

supergirl573 likes this.
  23. Kecasyl

Kecasyl Member

Fully rotate all her jumps.
    Drop the boring Opera music and and get something stronger and more powerful and skate lights out to it. Get a real choreographer (Adam's work is fine for exhibitions only).
    Consistency!

snoopysnake likes this.
  24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

To be honest Mirai needs Polina and Grace to make mistakes to have a chance to beat either one at Nationals. Even without falling at Nationals Mirai still finished about 21 points behind Gracie and Polina beat her with a fall and with no reputation as a Senior skater.

supergirl573 likes this.
  25. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

How could she get kicked off a team she was never a part of? She was never assigned a spot on the Olympic Team so she never actually had a spot. The only person that had a spot right after the competition was Gracie.

Anywhoo to answer the question she needs to rotate her jumps and get in shape. Even at nationals she looked out of shape and out of breath and it was her "best" program in years. if the other girls don't make mistakes that skating is not going to cut it and she is going to need to depend on people falling twice in their LP to get on the podium.

I know a lot of people think Ashley is the weakest link, but I really don't. She skated with unbelievable amount of pressure and stress at the Olympics and Worlds due to the controversy regarding the Olympic Team selection, and was able to skate 5 clean programs back to back and each one got better and better. If anything, I would think this season will be nothing but fun for her-she does not have the pressure of being the reigning national champ and she will have nowhere near the pressure to prove herself this year like she did last year. She has nothing to lose.

supergirl573 and mag like this.
  26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If Mirai can rotate her jumps while presenting her programs with confidence, the rest will take care of itself.
    She has the "raw material" - two mature and well-choreographed programs.

I wish her great success this season.

supergirl573, snoopysnake and Vash01 like this.
  27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The biggest favor she can do for herself is to not buy into the idea that the USFS has it out for her and that she was kicked off of the Olympic team. Thinking about things that is beyond her control will make her neurotic and she may start mentally preparing for failure and therefore self-sabotage herself with subpar performances caused by a lack of motivation that will cause her to not be consistent with her training.

She needs to just focus on things she is in control of and believe that this new Olympic cycle is a clean slate for her. She needs to gain consistency, kick butt internationally, have callers consistently call her jumps rotated, and keep working on her skills to make them better at a good pace. Once the numbers increase, so will the USFS' faith in her. She needs to also skate well at Nationals and not only rely on mistakes of others. She should look to Carolina Kostner for motivation. Had Carolina Kostner came from the U.S. or another federation with depth back in 2006-2010, she may have missed a few World and Olympic teams as well.

28. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

While I agree with the general premise of what you are saying Wagner did not have any truly clean skates in those 5 programs.

29. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Also I forgot to mention speed. Sometimes she looked really outclassed in international events. Especially the Canadians and Russians seem like they can skate circles around her.

supergirl573 likes this.
  30. pocoloco

pocoloco New Member

Dye her hair blonde!

No really, consistency and fixing her UR issues could solve a lot of it for her, but for me, she needs to regain some semblance of that 'attack' she had back around Vancouver. Her uninspired choreography and/or lack of total commitment to selling her programs means she fades into the background. Self-confidence is a painfully elusive commodity.

I also wish her the best, because I never saw this coming for her four years down the line from her wonderful 4th place finish at the Olympics.