What music (pick 3) selected for Michelle Kwan by Lori Nichols is your favorite?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jan 5, 2012.

Top 3 music choices selected for Michelle Kwan by Lori Nichols

Poll closed May 4, 2012.
  1. Salome (96 LP)

40 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Lyra Angelica (98 LP)

47 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Taj Mahal (97 LP)

28 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Dream of Desdemona (SP)

22 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. East of Eden (SP)

53 vote(s)
    47.3%
  6. Rachmaninoff (SP)

42 vote(s)
    37.5%
  7. The Red Violin (2000 LP)

31 vote(s)
    27.7%
  8. Song of the Black Swan (2001 LP)

19 vote(s)
    17.0%
  9. Ariadne (1999 LP)

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  10. Romanza (SP)

20 vote(s)
    17.9%
  11. Other

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Michelle Kwan skated to mostly unusual music when Lori Nichols choreographed her programs. Which 3 were your most favorite? Remember to vote for the music rather than the programs (I know it's impossible to pick just 3 favorite Michelle programs:lol:)

2. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Can I pick 7?? Like seriously

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Almost impossible for me, because the music is so associated to her skating. She made me love everything she did and I guess that she could have skated to metal, I would have loved it.

Anyway, my vote goes to East of Eden (1996), Taj Mahal (1997) and Lyra Angelica (1998). Because I was young and romantic, and I saw that year after year, I loved her more and more.

4. Vash01

I picked Taj Mahal (my most favorite, if I had to pick just one), Lyra Angelica (very unusual choice; I had never heard that music before), and The Red Violin (normally I would not have thought of it as skating music, but Michelle-Lori made it work).

5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Lyra Angelica, Dream of Desdemona and East of Eden. :)

6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Almost my picks ;). I said Lyra, Desdemona and Red Violin...East of Eden is beautiful, without a doubt and Michelle brought it to life, but the fact that Red Violin was such an odd piece of music is why I think it stands out. Very few people could convincingly skate/choreograph to that; that's what set Michelle and Lori apart--Lori's willingness to step out of the box and Michelle's ability to convincingly pull it off...b/c as we've seen, there isn't another person who has done an even halfway decent job of skating to that music. Most skaters don't have the cajones to even try.:p

There's a section of the program where there's nothing but these very haunting vocals--no music. It takes a special kind of skater to pull off music when, essentially, there's no music. Red Violin was definitely Michelle's most powerful and unique program...

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

East of Eden is without question one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. I have it on my iPod playlists mixed in with Top-40 songs :lol:

Lyra Angelica will always be a favorite of mine.

And I'm a huge fan of how hauntingly gorgeous the Red Violin score is. It actually may be my favorite Kwan program (it's hard to pick a favorite).

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

If this is a choreography-only basis (because honestly she made some of the most basic choreography look like art that belonged in a museum... that's right Tosca, I'm looking at you) for me its:

* Taj Mahal
    * Rachmaninov
    * Dream of Desdemona

I'd have Salome, East of Eden, Romanza, Lyra Angelica, and her 1999 programs up there too.

It's funny to think that over Lori Nichols long boring over-used career, her top10 programs are all Michelle Kwan programs.... which is why Lori has had such a long, boring, over-used career. ;)

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Dream of Desdemona, Ariane, East of Eden. Taj is probabaly fourth.

10. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

For me, Salome, Lyra, EoE, with Desdemona in a very close 4th.

11. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Kwan could have skated to Hannah Montana and It would have become one of my favorites ever, its hard to pick 3 :shuffle:

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  12. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Not a big Kwan fan, but *loved* these pieces

1. Desdemona
    2. Black Swan
    3. Taj

13. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with others that its difficult to pick only three favorite music selections, especially since the music is so integrally connected with Kwan's performances.

However, I must say I have always been particularly affected by Dante's Prayer (music and performances). Additionally, most memorable for me in terms of music/performances are The Red Violin and Rachmaninoff -- the choreo for Rach was so great, and it complemented the music in such a unique way. I do also love East of Eden, Salome, and Dream of Desdemona.

I think Song of the Black Swan was a risky under-appreciated choice of music along with its edgy choreo. Perhaps many enjoy Lyra Angelica b/c it was an unusual selection with subtlety and lightness. I think that made it a difficult program to skate well, especially at the Olympics (that's why Kwan overcoming her nerves and skating to it so beautifully under pressure remains amazing) -- Kwan's out of body feats at Nationals 1998 were incredible and once-in-a-lifetime. I envy those who were in the arena in Philly.

14. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Rachmaninoff 98 is the most amazing music cut AND most beautifully choreographed sp in the history of skating, bar none

although her layback in that program could've been better

michelle's music choices were quite often very sophisticated compared to her peers

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Holy cow, I don't know if I can pick 3!

I went with:

Romanza
    Salome
    Rachmaninoff

I will change my mind in 5...4...3...2....

16. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I went with East of Eden. I always wished she'd never done it as a short program and instead saved it for a long program for SLC.

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Hard to pick, but Salome, Taj Mahal and Red Violin for me.

18. Vash01

Although Salome did not make my top 3, it could have easily replaced Lyra Angelica for me. Selecting a music like that (particularly Dance of the seven veils segment from Salome) for a 15 year old takes courage on the part of the choreographer, and incredible talent on the part of the skater.

19. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Rach, Romanza & Desdemona are my choices, in that order. However, my #1 fave was not listed: the instrumental version of the Beatles' "Day in the Life"! I loved how Michelle skated to that, with the sassy shoulder wiggles.

Not a big fan of Taj Mahal, Salome, and the like. Yawwwwnnnnn. At least the person who posted the poll had the good sense to leave out the Bartok ("Miraculous Mandarin," skated one time at a G-P final, if memory serves). LOL.

20. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Dream of Des, Taj Mahal, Lyra

In part because these pieces haven't been used much by others...but I loved all 3 programs.

I have to say EoE makes me want to gouge my own eyes out. It's the most whiney piece of slow music I've heard. Just sayin...don't hate me for it :)

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Because I know you are nitpicky about correct name spellings, I will point out that it Lori Nichol. :)

I agree that the music editing was superb. I was lucky to experience the Kween's 1998 Nationals performance in Philadelphia from a great seat/angle and it gave me chills!

I also picked East of Eden and The Red Violin.

22. Vash01

Thank you for the correction. I was unsure about the s at the end, and I was too lazy to look up. Yes, I am nitpicky and I made a mistake in this case.

23. Vash01

I did not include her Carmen SP (also the Beatles SP) because I ran out of choices, but I wanted to point out that her selection from Carmen is not the usual one. We see the creativity there also. Same with the Rach SP. The music always had Michelle-Lori signature.

24. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I voted for Lyra, Dream of Desdemona and Romanza, but I'm already second-guessing myself haha. Michelle's work with Lori was beautiful, it's hard to pick just three, though that's easier than only picking one.

Also, loved Michelle's Carmen SP.

25. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It was the Fate of Carmen, not Carmen. Kwanita is not common!! LOL

I chose Romanza, Taj Mahal and Dream of Desdemona. I love finding music I've never heard before through skating :)

The guy I go to for acupuncture has soothing music that plays while you are just chillin' in the room with the needles inserted. He must only have 1 or 2 CDs, because it's always the same music. Anyway, the middle part of Lyra, Gymnopedie No. ? by Satie, is on the CD. I always enjoy that :)

26. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Iirc frank selected Salome and eoe, and kwan picked red violin herself.

Imo, the sad part is... When the 3 teamed up they created magic, and once they split, not one of them was ever able to recreate any of it.... Kwan skated watered-down generic programs to overused music, Lori rehashes the same ole same ole adnausium, and despite achieving that allusive ogm, frank has yet to produce another skater who makes you really sit up and take notice.

27. Vash01

I remember reading an interview of Lori where she said she let Michelle listen to different music to see how she felt about it, and then they selected the music.

I agree about the inability to recreate that magic with anyone else. Michelle remained great but I always preferred it when her music had her signature. However, I can understand her desire to skate to music used by other skaters and interpret it in her own way. Lori is good, but not great. I am hoping that with Mao Asada she may be able to capture something great. Frank never had another skater as great Michelle, and that includes Lysacek (I don't care if he won the OGM).