What music have you purchased because someone skated to it?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by DarrellH, Jun 16, 2011.

1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I must confess that I have the East of Eden soundtrack on my Ipod.

2. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head:

Barber's violin concerto (Alissa Czisny)
    Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos 1-4 (Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen)
    Warsaw Concerto (Midori Ito, others)
    The Swan (Johnny Weir)
    Sylvia (the ballet) score (Emily Hughes)
    Grieg Piano Concerto (Miki Ando)
    Masquerade Waltz (Jeremy Abbott)
    Prelude and Qadukka-I-Mayyas (Alissa Czisny)
    Monti's Czardas (Mao Asada)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

- Lee Holdridge, East of Eden (finale only :eek:)
    - Chaconne from The Red Violin
    - Ma, Kim, and Ax playing Dvorak's Dumky piano trio
    - the album Cinema Serenade, which includes the version of the main theme from "Sabrina" that Czisny skated to
    - Vanessa-Mae's Violin Fantasy of Turandot :)shizuka1:, Shen/Zhao, :sarah1:)
    - Liszt's First Piano Concerto (Kozuka)
    - "Memorial" from The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover (Grishuk/Platov)
    - "Espana Cani" by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra :)sasha1:)
    - Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto (Ando)

I've tried and tried to get a hold of Schnittke's Tale of Wandering (Butyrskaya), and have only the wrong album to show for it. Finally, if anyone knows which elevator version of "Serenade" Irina Slutskaya skated to, I'd be grateful of their assistance. :shuffle:

4. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3 (Abbott)
    It's all Coming Back to Me Now (Kadavy) saw it on you tube and had to have it

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

The Red Violin -- the whole thing.
    East of Eden and other film music by Lee Holdridge. (I've never seen all the EoE music anyplace. Is it out now? I think it was called American Anthem way back when.)
    Masquerade Waltz
    Fields of Gold
    Lt. Kija Suite

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The Chairman's Waltz from Memoirs of a Geisha, skated by Mirai Nagasu. Written by John Williams, performed by Itzhak Perlman and Yo Yo Ma. Doesn't get any better. :)

7. smartblade

smartblade New Member

sunrise at alcatraz- deep forest (drobiazko and vanagas)
    danse macabre - saint-saens (kim)
    Leyenda - vanessa mae (honda, langlois&archetto)

8. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

This thread makes me :lol:.

Anything MK ever skated to, if I didn't already have it, I bought it.
    Gladiator Soundtrack-Yagudin

Beethoven's Sonata "Pathetique" for G&G and Rach 2 for M&D--literally the first 2 CDs I ever owned.

The Feeling Begins for G&P, as well as about a dozen versions of Libertango in an attempt to find an arrangement similar to theirs.

George Benson's Greatest Hits in order to get the version of "This Masquerade" that N&K used in their SLC free dance.

That Sarah Brightman album with that song Bute used for her SP for what seemed like 5 seasons in a row.

Those are ones that popped into my head, but I could actually go on all day...

9. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

I made edits of a few of Michelle's programs. I was playing Slutskaya's Serenade SP music earlier today in a string quartet :)

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh yes, The Feeling Begins because of MK's iconic SP.

11. skfan

skfan Member

dream of desdemona, the red violin soundtrack, rachmaninov piano trio, rachmaninov piano concerto #3, all for MK. i already had tori amos' winter, brazilian bacchiana (not MK), satie's gymnopedies, scheherazade, greensleeves, the lark ascending, or i would have bought those as well :)

12. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Zoe Keating's One Cello x 16: Natoma because of Jonathan Cassar (We Insist SP)

Loreena McKennitt's The Book of Secrets because of Michelle Kwan (Dante's Prayer exh)

ETA: I forgot some CDs I bought because of pro skaters...

Dido's first album because Yuka Sato
    and, um... Eiffel 65 because of Brian Boitano's program to Blue (Ba Da Be) :shuffle: :p

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

14. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I bought the Out of Africa soundtrack. Love that music and love them so much!

15. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

There are several, but I can only think of a few at the moment. The most recent one was a "Finnish jazz" album by Kerkko Koskinen. It contained the two songs that Kiira Korpi used for her long program the two seasons before this last one, Crooked Room and Passenger to Copenhagen.

The ones that really stand out are two songs from Matt Savoie's "Celtic and Scandinavian" long program in 1999-2001. It took quite a while to find out what the music was (McBrides by Leahy and Kapten Kapsyl by Vasen) since it was listed incorrectly, but it was well worth it.

16. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I've actually purchased/sourced music because of FSU recommendations by users. Have found some brilliant stuff through the diverse knowledge and tastes of the folks on here. Thanks for that y'all.

17. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

The "Sherlock Holmes" soundtrack. :lol:.....and I like it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. monty

monty Active Member

It appears that composers should pay famous and/or lyrical skaters to compete some of their more obscure creations.

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Dragon (Elvis)
    Apollo 13, Schindler's List, the entire Carmina Burana (performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra) - Paul Wylie
    The Mission - Matt Savoie (and others)
    First Knight, Independence Day, Gettysburg, Swing Kids, Lord of the Rings - Todd
    1492 (Todd & Elvis)
    Jurassic Park - Not because of Tonya Harding, though - I just love the music and John Williams soundtracks in general
    Little Women, Sense & Sensibility, Much Ado About Nothing - Tara
    Life is Beautiful - Dubreuil & Lauzon (bought it long before Jeremy skated to it)
    Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves - a pair skating team skated to it in the early 1990's - fell in love with the score
    Legends of the Fall - Dan Hollander

BTW - one of my favorite CDs of all time - Summon the Heroes - John Williams & the Boston Pops - this Olympic CD (Atlanta 1996) has a lot of music that a number of skaters have skated to (about 1/2 of the CD), but I love all the music on it

I would love to get a copy of East of Eden, if I ever come across it!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  20. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

I just purchased a CD of Neil Diamond's Jonathon Livingston Seagull. I had the LP from 30+ yrs ago and hadn't thought of it in many years. But, Adam Rippon's SP from last year made me want to hear it again.

21. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I'm not ashamed to say I bought all three of Edvin Marton's albums. (I'm even skating to one of his songs for this season! :lol:)

I also recently bought the Top Gun soundtrack, but has anyone actually ever skated to that? (If not - FS, that is a severe fail.)

22. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, those too (although I think I got Danse Macabre after Jenny Kirk used it back in 2002)

I also got the Ghost Waltzes and Piazzolla pieces that Jeremy used in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons. Thanks Jeremy! :)

23. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Samuel Barber's pieces when Adam Rippon announced that he was skating to his Concerto for Violin and Orchestra. It also has the piece to which Matt Savoie skated his last SP

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Air from Suite No.3 by Bach, Klimova & Ponomarenko skated to it but I didn't like their free dance.

25. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore because Lang & Tchernyshev skated to it.

26. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

This is sort of related: I had never seen the movie Frieda but after seeing Delobel and Schoenfelder's FD to the music I rented the DVD.

27. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

28. edonice

edonice New Member

Michelle Kwan skated to 'Winter Song' by Sara Bareilles at the 2009 Ice All Stars. Her program reminded me of why I miss her skating so much, the absolute gift of Michelle's joy to be on the ice. And the song is gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGmlMmMs4B4

29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Man in the Iron Mask (mostly because of A/P, but Yagudin certainly didn't hurt)
    The Mission (Savoie)
    Somewhere in Time (D/L)
    Nina Rota music (Takahashi's "La Strada" program)

30. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

In high school I purchased (or asked my cousin to buy for me lol) the Anastasia soundtrack.
    I have East of Eden although I didn't purchase it, I downloaded it. :shuffle: I don't remember how; it might have been from rinkside or a website that a fan made with mp3s of music Michelle skated to. I don't think that site exits anymore. I'm not sure, I haven't checked in a really long time.
    I purchased a cd that had Rachmaninoff piano concertos and Vocalise.
    Walking on Sunshine, Color of Roses, Concierto De Aranjuez

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.