What Makes "Sherlock" So Good?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

:lol: So true. At least Miss Marple traveled to the murder sites but it was still hard to imagine so much mayhem in these beautiful villages. I do need to watch more Midsommer as I've only seen a few so far.

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

So true! I remember reading years ago, when Colin Dexter was still alive, the then-mayor of Oxford criticizing Dexter for making their city sound unsafe. :rolleyes: What a tool -- he should have known that that kind of publicity only helps a city's tourism.

At least Midsomer is a fictional county ...

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

"Sherlock", Cumberbatch and Freeman all nominated for Emmy Awards!!!

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Hooray!

5. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Well-deserved!

6. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Colin Dexter is still alive according to most reports.

7. grimey

grimey bird is the word

Hubbie and I just discovered the first season on Netflix and we LOVE it. Wish the other seasons were up.

8. Artemis@BC

:duh: Yes, of course ... it was John Thaw who died, not Dexter ... I had the two linked in my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

9. Artemis@BC

There's only one other season. It is available on DVD though, you might want to check your local library.

Netflix Canada is soooo slllloooooooooow to get current offerings.

10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My problem is not with Netflix but with my dvd player: I get up to the "contents" page and then the darn thing won't play. I feel like a football running back stuck at the one yard line. :p

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

:duh: Geez---I have been watching the series and received a Netflix dvd and just watched the extras: I had no idea the brains behind "Sherlock" were the guys responsible for the modern "Dr. Who." I think you even included an article earlier and I still didn't catch it. This year was my first watching "Dr. Who" as I thought it might be pure silliness and found it to be quite touching a lot of the time. I hope Moffat (sp?) and company are recognized with Emmy wins for "Sherlock."

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that the Emmy voters recognize "Sherlock" appropriately.
    "Downton Abbey" shouldn't get all the "British Import TV" love!

14. Artemis@BC

I just had my own :duh: moment: I've been ignoring all the promos for Elementary, because a. it can't possibly be anywhere even close to as good as Sherlock and b. I can't stand Lucy Liu. But just yesterday I spotted a little more detail and it's Jonny Lee Miller for hank's sake! :duh: Who, among his many many great performances, co-starred with Benedict Cumberbatch in Frankenstein!

So I just might, might, give Elementary a try.

Just wondering, though, where did you start with Dr Who? With the 2005 reboot with Christopher Eccleston? Because those ones were more RTD (Russell T Davies) than Moffat. IMO Dr Who got even better -- less silly, more thought-provoking, clever, poignant, funny, and just plain enjoyable -- when Moffat took over the controls.

15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I started with Eccleston and liked those but like so many enjoyed Tenant and Smith much more. I saw in EW that in their survey Tenant by far and away was the Dr. Who fans loved most. I just never gave the writers a lot of thought until I saw the "Sherlock" extras.

Btw--I keep saying I won't watch "Elementary" but I know I won't be able to resist to give it at least a peek.

16. tapping_skater

tapping_skater New Member

17. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I learn more each day. I saw Gatiss in the extras but just recently saw the "Lazarus" episode and still it didn't click until you mentioned it here. These writer/actors must have incredible inner lives. I think if I were ever to attend Comic-con I would want to see a panel with the writers of these programs.

19. Artemis@BC

Hadn't seen that one before. Hilarious! :lol:

BTW, had a 6 degrees of Who Separation moment last night (well, actually more like 2 degrees). I just started re-watching season 6, and I'd fogotten Hugh Bonneville was in the "Curse of the Black Spot" episode. I also recently finished watching Twenty Twelve, which starred Hugh Bonneville and Jessica Hynes ... who played Joan Redfern in the "Human Nature/Family of Blood" episodes. And Twenty Twelve also starred Olivia Colman, who was in "The Eleventh Hour" episode of Who, and Amelia Bullmore who was in the "Hounds of the Baskerville" for an added Sherlock bonus. :cool:

Not hard to play that game with Doctor Who though. Much harder to name any notable British actors who haven't appeared in it!

20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I don't know names but I know faces so when I saw "Twenty Twelve" it was "who is she" and it took me awhile because the two characters are so different and she looked different as the doctor's "wife." I think US tv (at least paycable) is starting to make less episodes per season. I like this because there are actors freed up to spread their talent around more and the writing stays fresher. I think the UK has been so good about that---I am blown away by the talent we see on Who.

21. Artemis@BC

I recognized her (Jessica Hynes) more quickly in both Who and Twenty Twelve because I recognized her from another Russell T Davies project, Bob and Rose. (Which is completely wonderful, btw, one of my favourite British mini-series ever, even if it is utter fantasy. Or perhaps because of it. :D)

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yet another I need to add to my list---these actors are always running into one another on different shows. If they are friendly that would be great. Cumberbatch and Freeman get along so well onscreen that it seems it would be the same off but I know that isn't always the case.

My dog keeps knocking my arm off of the keypad which means she is more than ready for her walk.

23. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Oh, I had same thoughts. I have such a creative crush on Mark Gatiss.

"Sherlock" led me to many interesting things, following its creators and actors. I started Dr. Who, though I am still getting through 2005. I like it OK, but I hear that it gets better, so will stick with it. Following Cumberbatch, I watched "To the Ends of the Earth"- 2005 BBC series based on William Golding's trilogy of the same name, and read the books. It is a fictional account of a passenger ship going from England to Australia in 1812, told from a perspective of a young aristocrat who keeps a journal. Loved both the books and the series. I have a particular interest in historical maritime travel, but think it's very well done and well acted whether one loves ships or not. Then, on a friend's recommendation, listened to "Cabin's Pressure", a radio sit-com about adventures of a tiny charter airline, of all things (the connection to "Sherlock" here is that Cumberbatch does one of the voices). What sounds utterly unpromising on paper turned out to be a hilarious comedy, lightning quick, with great characters and memorable lines. Quite family friendly ( there's a lot of booze jokes, but nothing racy)- my 8-year-old son adores it- yet written for adults and very sharp. It is written by a young British comedian John Finnemore and has had 3 seaons so far.
    It's fun to follow smart Brits' creative connections:)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I think "To the Ends of the Earth" might have been on "Masterpiece" but I missed it and want to see it now. Thanks for mentioning it. "Cabin Pressure" has been mentioned before and I've heard nothing but good comments about it. Radio is underappreciated imo.

25. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I do quite like Moffat's stint on Doctor Who, but IMO he does tend to make his plots unnecessarily elaborate and nonsensical (too much timey-wimey, in Doctor Who speak). Not necessarily saying that he's better or worse than RTD, whose plots had their own share of faults, but I think going forward he'd be better served to stick with story lines that are a bit more straightforward.

26. znachki

znachki Active Member

Thought I'd bump this up in preparation for tonight's premiere of Elementary.

27. Artemis@BC

No!! No polluting Sherlock with discussions of Elementary!!

I do actually plan on watching Elementary tonight, and will try very, very hard to give it a fair chance. It really is too bad it has zero chance of comparing favourably though.

For me though, even without the comparison, the biggest question will be whether the awesomeness of Jonny Lee Miller will be enough to overcome my extreme dislike of Lucy Liu.

28. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'll watch it but I am so sold on "Sherlock" that I am truly skeptical about this. That said if you are going to do a procedural I would rather use Sherlock's brain than whoever is manning the helm at CSI.

29. znachki

znachki Active Member

:lol:

You took the words right out of my mouth!

30. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Didn't even make it half way through and turned the channel.....How long must we wait for "Sherlock?"