What Makes "Sherlock" So Good?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I tried watching it, but if felt like I was watching The Adventures of Otter and Hedgehog instead of Holmes and Watson. I think the upcoming movie version of The Hedgehog Hobbit has been ruined for me too. :wuzrobbed

2. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

This show is so effin' brilliant, although you could see the end coming a mile away after what Mycroft said. It's one of those shows I have to watch a 2nd and 3rd time because it all happens so fast and it's so complicated. Like when Watson complains about Mycroft's power trips and the next shot is of a power station. Cute.

Trivia - the girl Watson was dating at Christmas was played by Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter Oona (Geraldine Chaplin's daughter).

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I figured spoiler tags can be safely removed now. One of my best friends is from Iran and there are actually quite a few people with light-colored eyes from their country. It's not extremely common, but it does happen. That would fit in with Sherlock not being from Pakistan and being able to get away with speaking urdu (or another regional language) with an accent...Yes, it is a stretch, but not impossible. Now, a terrorist cell memember with a sexy woman moan messaging alert -and none of the other members hearing this alert :shuffle: :p

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, to the latter bit, that was right before he presumably told her to run, at which point the rest of the terror cell was going to have to know that he was not precisely what he'd said was.

To the former, how about that National Geographic cover of the Afghani woman with striking green eyes? Clearly, central Asia can produce a blue-eyed gene, it just isn't COMMON.

And of COURSE the minute Mycroft said even Sherlock Holmes couldn't have been there you knew he was wrong. Even when Mycroft THINKS he's ahead, he's behind. Just like even though we knew which version John was going to tell Sherlock, it still worked when you see him actually do it. (Mycroft did leave him that option.)

6. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

I would've sworn I posted a comment on Monday, but I guess the internet ate it up. Lady, why did you not convince me to watch this show before?? I got the digital converter just so that I could watch PBS and promptly got hooked on this show. Good thing there are only 3 episodes though... Let me know if you want to do a Sherlock marathon and I'll come over :lol:

7. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

We watch it and enjoy it even though, afterward, I feel like I've been hit by an F-5 category tornado because everything moves so fast. :eek:

Thank God for the captioning device on the t.v., or we couldn't watch it at all- being Americans we don't grasp English when it is spoken fast as lightning! :D As it is, our eyeballs are speed-reading while trying to take in the actual action as well. Sometimes they speak faster than Jimmy Cagney ever could. :lol:

8. skatesindreams

I hope that Lara Pulver will appear again in future seasons.
    One of the interviews I read said that even though she has other projects pending, she would like to do so.

9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I wonder how the next episode will be updated: That these are familiar stories that are modernized and sometimes hard to recognize is part of the fun for me. But mostly I think they struck gold when they cast Cumberbatch and Freeman.

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Boy, between Downton Abbey and Sherlock, PBS is having a very good ratings streak. Kinda ironic though, for a (mostly) commercial-free network!

But I do have a peeve with PBS. Since they converted to digital, I'm finding that any British-made programs (which is pretty much all I watch on PBS) get the picture chopped off at the left & right edges. I've tried every aspect ratio setting on my TV, but they're all the same, or worse. Very frustrating, esp. for Sherlock which really does use the full screen.

BTW, I never did give my answer to the original question of this thread. I say what makes it so good are 1. Benedict Cumberbatch, 2. Steven Moffat, and 3. Martin Freeman. In that order, most of the time.

11. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Oh, good grief, it's NOT my TV! (Which is admittedly quite elderly but if it ain't broke, don't spend hundreds of dollars to replace it...) I noticed that on BBC America as well with some programs and it's really annoying!

12. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

"A Scandal in Belgravia" is honestly the best episode of TV I've ever seen. This show is just so good.

13. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

<--- Yet another "Sherlock"-uber!!! :cheer2:

The dynamic between Holmes and Watson is fantastic......and I love that they went with it and gave the latter's middle name as Hamish. :respec:

Great television with a big "G"!!! :biggrinbo

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You may just revise that opinion after you've seen the rest of this season ;)

15. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

lol, I already watched the whole season online back in January. I actually watched the season finale the night before a really big med school interview....probably wasn't the smartest idea, but eff it, Sherlock is THAT good. I couldn't wait, haha.

16. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

:cheer2:

Russell Tovey !!! :respec:

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

He's a bit like Bones in Star Trek in relation to Spock, without them both vying for Kirk's attention.

18. skatesindreams

That's a good analogy.

Watson, as portrayed here, doesn't have to "vie for attention".
    He's a "person of accomplishment" in his own right.

19. Artemis@BC

I had hard time not thinking throughout the whole episode "Hey, if you're wondering why you're being pursued by a large slobbering hound ... it's because you're a frickin werewolf." :lol:

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

So was Bones, but it was the difference between being the captain of the Math Club on an internationally competitive team and a socially inept math prodigy. There's no central character in "Sherlock" for them to try to impress. It always made me laugh that Kirk was worthy of Bones' or Spock's attention, but babe-magnet, Kennedy-esqu football heroes have a tendency to have that effect on nerds. (Now Picard is another story.)

21. skatesindreams

It's a "device" used to indicate just how "acute" Sherlock's mind is, even compared to Watson's.

22. Artemis@BC

Well, I couldn't wait til next week for the last installment, so I watched a downloaded copy of "Reichenbach Fall" last night. (Aside from not having to wait ... the download is actually better quality than PBS's screwed up aspect ration version). Wow! As excellent as the other 2 episodes in the seaon were, this one completely blew me away.

One thing struck me:
    the fake death of Irene in episode 2.1 was strategically linked to Sherlock's fake death in this episode. Even though we know there's no way Sherlock is going to be actually killed off, I don't think they would have started this episode with the scene with Watson and his therapist if they hadn't already established that "dead is not always dead" in a previous episode.

And what an impressive performance by Martin Freeman throughout this episode. He's always excellent, but in this one he surpassed himself. Of course it helped that he had some superb material to work with.

And I'm loving the ongoing joke with the deerstalker. :lol: And with everyone assuming they're a couple.

23. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yes, Freeman is absolutely amazing in that episode.
    The graveyard scene kills me, it's so raw and powerful and moving.

24. skatesindreams

Are there any differences between the US and UK episodes/DVD's?
    I want to know which version to order.

25. Artemis@BC

I just went through the same thing (thanks to a friend who passed on his region 2/PAL player to me -- thank you DK!), and as far as I can tell they're identical except for the packaging. Going by the description on the 2 Amazons (.com and .co.uk) both have 2 discs, commentary for 2 episodes, and 1 behind-the-scenes extra. Weirdly, though, the US version is listed as 461 minutes and the UK version as 266 minutes -- but I think the US version is factoring the 2 commentary episodes separately into the equation. The math works out that way -- 88 minutes x3 vs. x5, plus one 19-minute extra.

26. skatesindreams

Thanks!
    Good, I thought that the US version might be "edited".

27. znachki

znachki Active Member

There was concern regarding this, in light of the fact that the PBS versions are edited (for time - not content). In Belgravia for example, one of the scenes cut is John's gf breaking up with him.

However, assurances were made that the DVD version was UK length.

I ordered the Region 2's because I couldn't wait (although I did watch it...somehow :slinkaway)

Mostly bummed because there isn't any commentary for R. Falls.

As for R. Falls - WOW!! So, so good, and Freeman is amazing.

28. znachki

znachki Active Member

29. CarolineL

CarolineL Member

I had already decided I would only watch if Jonny Lee Miller was allowed to have a British accent, so I guess I'm in

30. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Why does it have to be Holmes and Watson? I think the series could have merit but just call them something else and say the main character has a Sherlock sensibility.