What Makes "Sherlock" So Good?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I won't be watching.
  2. wickedwitch

wickedwitch Well-Known Member

In addition to what everyone else has said, I like how they balance the modern setting with the original stories. They aren't just showing the original stories, just set a century later, which is good, because many wouldn't make sense now. For example, people rarely call each other by their last names any more, and pocket watches are replaced with smart phones. Coincidentally, there is again a war in Afghanistan. But it's not so loosely based making it easy to tell that the plots were derived from the original stories.

This is going to be beyond awful.

If the characters were nameless, I would have said this was inspired by the X-Files (another show that this won't be nearly as good as) before I thought of Sherlock.
  3. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I don't care what CBS does with its othis de series, as long as this development doesn't push the BBC to dumb down the new series of Sherlock or rush it or make it more PC or modify it in any way. Apparently Sherlock has been sold to 180 territories worldwide. In the big picture, increasing the US audience by a couple of million should not be a defining target.
  4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Well, at least Jonny Lee Miller is pretty. . .
  5. znachki

znachki Active Member

There is that...
  6. genegri

genegri Active Member

Thanks! May 6th sounds so far away! :lol:

Hard to imagine the second season can be better than the first, which was simply brilliant. :cool:

Now I am totally excited and can't wait. :D
  7. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Yes, very well done :kickass:

They say some things never change... :shuffle:

I love it when Sherlock glance at someone and all his observations just popped up all over the place in white text :lol:
    And when he looked at Adler it's all just
    ?????
    :rofl:
  8. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Another great thing about Sherlock is Andrew Scott as Moriarty. He is so terrifying in his calm and twisted manner. One can understand why Sherlock is terrified by him. "The Final Problem" was so unnerving right from the beginning, because you cannot imagine what Moriarty could do just because he's bored. He is one of the greatest villains I've seen on screen.

Edited to remove a spoiler. Sorry! How can you wait though? The DVD is available.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  9. znachki

znachki Active Member

Asli - spoilers!!! This hasn't been seen in the US - or Canada (I think.)
  10. Ajax

Ajax New Member

Oh, excited to see this thread. I love Sherlock. What makes it for me is the acting and the chemistry between the leads. Freeman in particular is amazing. I love the characterization of Watson as quietly confident and competent. You can tell that he is amazed by Sherlock's intellect but he has enough self-confidence to not be threatened by it at all. The writing is top-notch, great modernization and tons of smart tricks like the text messages appearing on the screen instead of having to show the cell phone.

I had big problems with the depiction of Irene Adler in the second series. The first part of the episode with her was great, and I liked the twist of her being a dominatrix. But why make her work for Moriarty? That just ruined her character I think. And don't even get me started on how she develops a crush on Sherlock even though she is gay (gay people do not just become straight when they encounter "the right person"!), ends up nearly beheaded by terrorists and has to have big strong Sherlock rescue her. (How the hell does blue-eyed Sherlock sneak into a Pakistani terrorist cell anyway??) It just doesn't sit well with me because as written, Irene Adler beats Sherlock, soundly and without question. She is one of the only people to ever do so. In the show, however, she is beaten so far down. I hate it both from a feminist point of view and a canon fan point of view. It's too bad because the actress who plays her does a fantastic job with what she's given.
  11. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

OMG that is hilarious. In my wildest dreams I would not put these two together.
  13. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

:eek: Okay, that's priceless. :lol:

I'm allowed to laugh, right?

ETA: Plus I'm a dolt and read "Others who look like Benedict Cumberbatch" so the otters were extra surprising!
  14. znachki

znachki Active Member

15. Vagabond

16. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

OMG, that's priceless!

Fave bit (other than the photos, obviously): "Quite clearly then, the philosophical question has been finally put to bed: this is in fact why the internet was first created. It is indeed almost as important now as life itself, and so deliberations into its reasoning play an integral role in society today. Now, we know. This is it. This is why."
  17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

T minus 10, 9, 8, 7................Finally on Masterpiece/Mystery on Sunday.......
    galaxygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  18. skatesindreams

How I'm looking forward to it.
    A (slightly belated) birthday present!
  19. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

PBS is live-streaming a Q & A with Benedict Cumberbatch, Steven Moffat, Sue Vertue and Rebecca Eaton right now on their facebook page. live stream available worldwide

They say it will be available to watch again later.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  20. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

A reminder for US/Canadian fans. Sherlock ll begins tonight on Masterpiece Mystery.
  21. Vagabond

I tried watching it, but if felt like I was watching The Adventures of Otter and Hedgehog instead of Holmes and Watson. I think the upcoming movie version of The Hedgehog Hobbit has been ruined for me too. :wuzrobbed
  22. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

This show is so effin' brilliant, although you could see the end coming a mile away after what Mycroft said. It's one of those shows I have to watch a 2nd and 3rd time because it all happens so fast and it's so complicated. Like when Watson complains about Mycroft's power trips and the next shot is of a power station. Cute.

Trivia - the girl Watson was dating at Christmas was played by Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter Oona (Geraldine Chaplin's daughter).
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I figured spoiler tags can be safely removed now. One of my best friends is from Iran and there are actually quite a few people with light-colored eyes from their country. It's not extremely common, but it does happen. That would fit in with Sherlock not being from Pakistan and being able to get away with speaking urdu (or another regional language) with an accent...Yes, it is a stretch, but not impossible. Now, a terrorist cell memember with a sexy woman moan messaging alert -and none of the other members hearing this alert :shuffle: :p
  24. skatesindreams

25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, to the latter bit, that was right before he presumably told her to run, at which point the rest of the terror cell was going to have to know that he was not precisely what he'd said was.

To the former, how about that National Geographic cover of the Afghani woman with striking green eyes? Clearly, central Asia can produce a blue-eyed gene, it just isn't COMMON.

And of COURSE the minute Mycroft said even Sherlock Holmes couldn't have been there you knew he was wrong. Even when Mycroft THINKS he's ahead, he's behind. Just like even though we knew which version John was going to tell Sherlock, it still worked when you see him actually do it. (Mycroft did leave him that option.)
  26. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

I would've sworn I posted a comment on Monday, but I guess the internet ate it up. Lady, why did you not convince me to watch this show before?? I got the digital converter just so that I could watch PBS and promptly got hooked on this show. Good thing there are only 3 episodes though... Let me know if you want to do a Sherlock marathon and I'll come over :lol:
  27. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour New Member

We watch it and enjoy it even though, afterward, I feel like I've been hit by an F-5 category tornado because everything moves so fast. :eek:

Thank God for the captioning device on the t.v., or we couldn't watch it at all- being Americans we don't grasp English when it is spoken fast as lightning! :D As it is, our eyeballs are speed-reading while trying to take in the actual action as well. Sometimes they speak faster than Jimmy Cagney ever could. :lol:
  28. skatesindreams

I hope that Lara Pulver will appear again in future seasons.
    One of the interviews I read said that even though she has other projects pending, she would like to do so.
  29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I wonder how the next episode will be updated: That these are familiar stories that are modernized and sometimes hard to recognize is part of the fun for me. But mostly I think they struck gold when they cast Cumberbatch and Freeman.
  30. Artemis@BC

Boy, between Downton Abbey and Sherlock, PBS is having a very good ratings streak. Kinda ironic though, for a (mostly) commercial-free network!

But I do have a peeve with PBS. Since they converted to digital, I'm finding that any British-made programs (which is pretty much all I watch on PBS) get the picture chopped off at the left & right edges. I've tried every aspect ratio setting on my TV, but they're all the same, or worse. Very frustrating, esp. for Sherlock which really does use the full screen.

BTW, I never did give my answer to the original question of this thread. I say what makes it so good are 1. Benedict Cumberbatch, 2. Steven Moffat, and 3. Martin Freeman. In that order, most of the time.
  31. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Oh, good grief, it's NOT my TV! (Which is admittedly quite elderly but if it ain't broke, don't spend hundreds of dollars to replace it...) I noticed that on BBC America as well with some programs and it's really annoying!
  32. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

"A Scandal in Belgravia" is honestly the best episode of TV I've ever seen. This show is just so good.
  33. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

<--- Yet another "Sherlock"-uber!!! :cheer2:

The dynamic between Holmes and Watson is fantastic......and I love that they went with it and gave the latter's middle name as Hamish. :respec:

Great television with a big "G"!!! :biggrinbo
  34. Ajax

Ajax New Member

You may just revise that opinion after you've seen the rest of this season ;)
  35. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

lol, I already watched the whole season online back in January. I actually watched the season finale the night before a really big med school interview....probably wasn't the smartest idea, but eff it, Sherlock is THAT good. I couldn't wait, haha.
  36. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

:cheer2:

Russell Tovey !!! :respec:
  37. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

He's a bit like Bones in Star Trek in relation to Spock, without them both vying for Kirk's attention.
  38. skatesindreams

That's a good analogy.

Watson, as portrayed here, doesn't have to "vie for attention".
    He's a "person of accomplishment" in his own right.
  39. Artemis@BC

I had hard time not thinking throughout the whole episode "Hey, if you're wondering why you're being pursued by a large slobbering hound ... it's because you're a frickin werewolf." :lol:
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  40. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

So was Bones, but it was the difference between being the captain of the Math Club on an internationally competitive team and a socially inept math prodigy. There's no central character in "Sherlock" for them to try to impress. It always made me laugh that Kirk was worthy of Bones' or Spock's attention, but babe-magnet, Kennedy-esqu football heroes have a tendency to have that effect on nerds. (Now Picard is another story.)