What Makes "Sherlock" So Good?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

They put a lot of effort into making his violin playing look realistic.

Benedict needs to be cast as the romantic lead in a regency story- he has the perfect hair and carriage to play a man of that era.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  2. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that! I play the violin and was also impressed by his decent mimicry. While watching the episode, I noticed that his bowing was slightly behind the music, and this explains why as he was trying to imitate his coach outside the window.

Well, it's not quite Jane Austen, but he was in a BBC miniseries called "To the Ends of the Earth." I saw it streaming on Netflix, but it looks like someone's also uploaded on Youtube.

I just watched a clip of him from that movie to hear what his American accent sounded like, and I almost wish I hadn't! Not that the accent was bad as it was decent for the most part (though it sounded like he was overdoing it on some of the vowels). His voice and diction are a large part of his appeal to me, and I think he loses some of the natural deep timbre to his voice when he switches to the American accent. I think I like his voice just the way it is. :D

3. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I'm sure he doesn't lose the timbre of his voice because of the accent. He deliberately changes his voice according to the role. In that movie he only has a short time to come across as a shallow character and he probably figured that his velvety baritone voice doesn't suit that purpose. It is all part of what the British call "acting" (TM). ;)

4. cailuj365

Well, I've listened to an interview where he did an American accent, and his voice sounded higher then too. I just think the deep quality to his voice makes him further stand out in addition to his excellent acting, sort of like Alan Rickman. (Yes, I've heard Benedict's Alan Rickman impression. Had me :rofl:) In any case, I'm glad that Benedict does a lot of voice work.

5. znachki

znachki Active Member

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

They should have cast Sandra Oh with Laura Linney as Sherlock.

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

REHAB??? Joan Watson (sober companion)? Conan Doyle must be turning in his grave. Why do we (Americans) always do this? Why not stick with the original? I know there are times Americanizing something works but so much of the time it stinks. I say this as a fan of Laurie King's take on Sherlock in books. But when it comes to tv we I imagine we could do a thread on series we have copied unsuccessfully. Betcha this one will be the latest example.

8. znachki

znachki Active Member

Not a big fan of Lui, and I could possibly live with a gender switch. However, if what usually happens, happens, it will become all shippy. I know, I know, people argue all the time about the homoerotic subtext and etc., but even if it's there - it's subtext.

Plus, Sherlock as a post-rehab ex-pat? What happens with the encyclopedic knowledge of his city? What happens to Watson's war experience (unclear whether that remains)? It just gets worse all the time.

I was willing to give the show a shot, but those odds keep going down. Of course, this is just a pilot. It might not make it to series.

Say what you want about Moffat and Gattis, but at least they respect and love the source material. The CBS folks? Must have only seen the RDJ movie.

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I would say it's more part of what the British call "trying and missing with American accents." There are a few (VERY few) British actors who can pull off a convincing American accent, compared to the number of American actors who can pick up at least Recieved Pronunciation easily. Something about the vowels makes it much easier for Americans to ape a UK accent than the other way around. About the only exception is, as they're still closer phonetically, Southern and a few New England regional accents are easier to fake. Also the rare film that shoots for historically-accurate American Revolution...Tom Wilkinson managed both a 1770s mid-Atlantic accent as Ben Franklin and Joe Kennedy's affected Bostonian convincingly.

(Now, never ask an American to try Irish, Scottish, or God help us, Welsh.)

10. cailuj365

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I won't be watching.

12. wickedwitch

wickedwitch Well-Known Member

In addition to what everyone else has said, I like how they balance the modern setting with the original stories. They aren't just showing the original stories, just set a century later, which is good, because many wouldn't make sense now. For example, people rarely call each other by their last names any more, and pocket watches are replaced with smart phones. Coincidentally, there is again a war in Afghanistan. But it's not so loosely based making it easy to tell that the plots were derived from the original stories.

This is going to be beyond awful.

If the characters were nameless, I would have said this was inspired by the X-Files (another show that this won't be nearly as good as) before I thought of Sherlock.

13. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I don't care what CBS does with its othis de series, as long as this development doesn't push the BBC to dumb down the new series of Sherlock or rush it or make it more PC or modify it in any way. Apparently Sherlock has been sold to 180 territories worldwide. In the big picture, increasing the US audience by a couple of million should not be a defining target.

14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Well, at least Jonny Lee Miller is pretty. . .

15. znachki

znachki Active Member

There is that...

16. genegri

genegri Active Member

Thanks! May 6th sounds so far away! :lol:

Hard to imagine the second season can be better than the first, which was simply brilliant. :cool:

Now I am totally excited and can't wait. :D

17. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Yes, very well done :kickass:

They say some things never change... :shuffle:

I love it when Sherlock glance at someone and all his observations just popped up all over the place in white text :lol:
    And when he looked at Adler it's all just
    ?????
    :rofl:

18. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Another great thing about Sherlock is Andrew Scott as Moriarty. He is so terrifying in his calm and twisted manner. One can understand why Sherlock is terrified by him. "The Final Problem" was so unnerving right from the beginning, because you cannot imagine what Moriarty could do just because he's bored. He is one of the greatest villains I've seen on screen.

Edited to remove a spoiler. Sorry! How can you wait though? The DVD is available.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  19. znachki

znachki Active Member

Asli - spoilers!!! This hasn't been seen in the US - or Canada (I think.)

20. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Oh, excited to see this thread. I love Sherlock. What makes it for me is the acting and the chemistry between the leads. Freeman in particular is amazing. I love the characterization of Watson as quietly confident and competent. You can tell that he is amazed by Sherlock's intellect but he has enough self-confidence to not be threatened by it at all. The writing is top-notch, great modernization and tons of smart tricks like the text messages appearing on the screen instead of having to show the cell phone.

I had big problems with the depiction of Irene Adler in the second series. The first part of the episode with her was great, and I liked the twist of her being a dominatrix. But why make her work for Moriarty? That just ruined her character I think. And don't even get me started on how she develops a crush on Sherlock even though she is gay (gay people do not just become straight when they encounter "the right person"!), ends up nearly beheaded by terrorists and has to have big strong Sherlock rescue her. (How the hell does blue-eyed Sherlock sneak into a Pakistani terrorist cell anyway??) It just doesn't sit well with me because as written, Irene Adler beats Sherlock, soundly and without question. She is one of the only people to ever do so. In the show, however, she is beaten so far down. I hate it both from a feminist point of view and a canon fan point of view. It's too bad because the actress who plays her does a fantastic job with what she's given.

21. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

OMG that is hilarious. In my wildest dreams I would not put these two together.

23. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

:eek: Okay, that's priceless. :lol:

I'm allowed to laugh, right?

ETA: Plus I'm a dolt and read "Others who look like Benedict Cumberbatch" so the otters were extra surprising!

24. znachki

znachki Active Member

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

26. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

OMG, that's priceless!

Fave bit (other than the photos, obviously): "Quite clearly then, the philosophical question has been finally put to bed: this is in fact why the internet was first created. It is indeed almost as important now as life itself, and so deliberations into its reasoning play an integral role in society today. Now, we know. This is it. This is why."

27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

T minus 10, 9, 8, 7................Finally on Masterpiece/Mystery on Sunday.......

galaxygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

How I'm looking forward to it.
    A (slightly belated) birthday present!

29. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

PBS is live-streaming a Q & A with Benedict Cumberbatch, Steven Moffat, Sue Vertue and Rebecca Eaton right now on their facebook page. live stream available worldwide

They say it will be available to watch again later.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  30. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

A reminder for US/Canadian fans. Sherlock ll begins tonight on Masterpiece Mystery.