What Makes "Sherlock" So Good?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the PBS/Mystery series "Sherlock." I love the relationship between this particular Sherlock and this particular Watson. I also love the use of the glockenspiel (sp?)--if it is a glockenspiel in the soundtrack for the series. PBS released this scene for the upcoming season: May cannot come soon enough (at least in the US.)

http://video.pbs.org/video/2188153420

2. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the new Sherlock as well. Benedict Cumberbatch makes a very cool and stylish Sherlock, and I agree that he and Watson have an interesting dynamic.

3. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Everything :p

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think it's that it's one of the few "modernizing" things where they really seem to not only respect the source material but have managed to come up with a scenario that keeps the characters from the original as more or less themselves, but still functional in the modern setting. Rather than just "we moved this to modern day so we could get the actors more plausibly naked more often."

5. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Oh man, I just watched both series of Sherlock last month, and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are both brilliant as Sherlock and Watson. I find all the modern updates on the material to be really clever and believable as well. I also really like the music!

If you thought season 1 was good, season 2 is even better in my opinion!

Unfortunately, I think this is exactly what could happen with CBS's new "Elementary," a remake of BBC's "Sherlock" that will take place in modern day New York City. CBS just ordered the pilot, and Jonny Lee Miller has been cast as Sherlock. I'm not sure if Sherlock will be British or American, but this whole thing seems a bit superfluous.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I love it. The score reminds me so much of Dexter's score and it is fitting for this dark kind of show.

I heard the US is coming up with a version of a modern Sherlock as well.

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Superfluous indeed. I cannot imagine the copy matching the original.

8. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

It is extremely unlikely that they'll be able replicate the amazing chemistry of Holmes and Watson (ick, the shipping on the internet is mountainous), and they certainly won't have the 90 minute episode, movie quality scripting and editing.

I guess the reason must be that they are going to take a snapshot of the characters and use them in an hour long procedural series- like House-"Detective".

I can see why The Office was remade with an american storyline, because the cultural differences make it hard(for some) to catch the humour. But both Sherlock and Misfits are too perfect to be immitated well. It's like remaking Casablanca.

9. znachki

znachki Active Member

I love this version so much. I've already seen the second series even though I'm in the US. I bought the region 2 DVD's becasue I knew I'd want them and just couldn't wait. I think it's better than the first series.

I think that the biggest reason is that Moffatt and Gattis understand and respect the source material, but at the same time, are not slaves to it. They loved the Rathbone/Bruce movies for the action aspects, and aren't afraid to embrace that as well.

They stripped out a lot of what has weighed many of the adaptations down. People forget that Holmes and Watson weren't all that old when they started, so they cast younger than you generally see.

They updated wisely. They put a lot of thought into the modern equivalent of Victorian/Edwardian era technology and society. Agony Columns=Reality TV!

They treat Watson with the respect he deserves. Martin Freeman's Watson, is IMO, the best Watson ever. Watson was not a bumbling fool as he is often portrayed. He was a doctor, and a soldier. Anyone would look less smart next to Holmes, but he wasn't stupid.

On the technical side, I think the BBC's decision to go with 3-90's was smart. The quality of the production is so high. The only bad thing is that there aren't more!

I'm also interested to see what the CBS "Elementary" series will be like. The producers initally approached Virtue/Moffatt/Gattiss, and asked them to license Sherlock to them, but were turned down. So, they decided to go ahead with their own version. They are going to have to go very carefully, because if they don't, there could be some legal entanglements, I would think.

Asli and (deleted member) like this.
  10. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I think Sherlock is brilliant! We couldn't wait for season 2 (in the US) so we found it online on various tv websites. Season 2 is even better than season 1. I don't think I've ever seen a tv show that is so brilliantly photographed, edited and acted.

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

znachki,

Entire post:
    :respec:

I've not seen Season 2 yet; and can hardly wait!
    I don't know if I will watch "Elementary" yet.
    Any similar show would suffer in comparison.

Edited to add:

If Benedict Cumberbatch, were a less gifted actor, the update would not work at all.
    He does a wonderful job of bringing Sherlock to newly vivid life within the context of our growing knowledge and understanding of "Super Genius"/Asperger's Syndrome, etc.; and the challenges caused/imposed by that on himself - and others.

That is what makes this "Sherlock" important, and compelling.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  12. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

For those interested in his work beyond Sherlock, Benedict will be playing
    the villain in the next Star Trek movie.

13. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

And of course, Freeman will be Bilbo in the new Hobbit movie (Cumberbatch will be the voice of Smaug).

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'll await all of the above, with pleasure!

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I've also seen S2 because I couldn't wait for it to come out on PBS and I used one of the UK ip address programs. I think one of the reasons why I love the series is there's hardly any irrelevant detail in any episode. It's been a while since I found a series where I felt I have to actively pay attention to everything that takes place.

Also agree with everyone who mentioned casting Martin Freeman as Watson was a brilliant move. He manages to come across with the right mixture of awe for Sherlock's genius and frustration when he refuses to explain things.

Am definitely re-watching once it shows up on PBS :D!

16. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

We watched Season 1 & 2 in a 2 day marathon about a month ago. And then watched it all again right away. My daughter told me as I started to sit down to the first one, that I had to pay attention to the screen because I'd miss too much. At about 5 min in I put my laptop away.

She has become an obsessed Cumberbatch fan, and I have to say his performances in Hawking and Third Star are wonderful.

17. cailuj365

As a huge LotR fan, I'm so excited about this, and yet, I'm also frustrated because this probably means a longer delay for series 3 of Sherlock. :lol:

I also agree that the fantastic editing of the show really sets it apart. It really makes it seem as if you're watching a movie rather than a regular point-and-shoot TV serial.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

cygnus introduced me to the series after GPF.

Two words: Martin Freeman :swoon:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. znachki

znachki Active Member

I'm not sure that's the case. There was some concern about that for the second series as well, but I think that they've managed to shoot around each other. Despite "the coat" it was apparent that they filmed chunks of the second series in the summer. Which the commentaries confirm - May - August. The series was ready to go in like Sept/Oct, but the BBC held it until January.

Principal photography on the Hobbit is scheduled to end in June. There could be pickups and reshoots after that. I certainly wouldn't want to be Freeman if that's the case, flying back & forth. But, given that and the last shooting schedule, Jan 2013 seems doable.

Currently Moff & Co. are saying 2013, of course what that means....

20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

That was something else I noticed. I don't know if there is another series on tv that looks so beautiful. I don't know how they are doing it but even simple scenes of them driving/walking down the street are so crisp, clear and-dare I say- pretty to watch. Their London dazzles imho.

21. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I usually dislike transferring classical literature to the modern day, but Sherlock Holmes belongs to the present day. The whole concept of the original novels and stories was about Holmes being ahead of his time, so how does that work if we leave Sherlock Holmes in the 19th century? Conan Doyle's books practically invented forensics. Besides, Sherlock Holmes was not an old man sitting in front of his fireplace but an active and athletic man, a good boxer and swordsman, a guy prepared to live in a cave in the marshes for weeks to solve a case. This series is spot on.

The second series of Sherlock started on the BBC on January 1st and that fantabulous first episode has probably ruined TV for me for the rest of the year. Everything else seems bland in comparison. :)

That series is pure genius. Incredible writing, acting, directing, photography, editing, music, everything! It is sure to have an impact on television - you just can't make the viewers happy with the same old same old once they have watched these masterpieces. :swoon:

Apparently Peter Jackson was such a fan of the first series of Sherlock that he decided to shoot The Hobbit in two chunks in order to allow Martin Freeman to do the second series of Sherlock in-between. He may not be able to do that a second time though.

22. cailuj365

Peter Jackson is a smart man. :D The first episode of the second series is my favorite too, but all of them are at such a high level.

It's great to see all the love for "Sherlock" on here. I hope that it gets some of the accolades that "Downton Abbey" has gotten this season. I watch "Downton Abbey" too, and while I find it enjoyable, it has a distinct soap opera feel to it. "Sherlock" may be less accessible, but IMO, it's the superior show. I think it really deserves more recognition this side of the Atlantic.

23. genegri

genegri Active Member

Does anyone know when it will be aired to public in the US?

24. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

PBS will be running it as part of the Masterpiece Mystery series May 6th-20th.

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I thought DA had lots of promise last season, but now it's just entertaining in this bandaged-Young-Frankenstein-shows-up-as-potential-heir-trainwreck sort of way.

"We are not "all in this together", we are sitting around glued to Downton Abbey." :respec:

26. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

He'll actually plays Smaug the way Andy Serkis plays Gollum, rather than just doing the voice. :) (He'll do the voice of the Necromancer too, that should be voice only).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I haven't yet finished DA's second season, but I'm actually liking it better so far. The first season, it was like a soap opera that was trying too hard to be classy. Now it's just like, "Yeah, we're a soap. You want to make something of it?" I like a TV series to be honest. :D

BTW, Sherlock fans, Cumberbatch does a hilarious BBC Radio sitcom called Cabin Pressure. There's a sample here, and the entire series is downloadable.

28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

You have a point there, but IMO there were times when they stopped trying altogether now. Not sure which episode you're on now, but the whole Spanish flu episode had me :wall: with all the disheveled damsels in distress writhing on their respective pillows while manly men stroked their hand going 'there, there dahlings.' Eh well, as long as Maggie Smith is still involved, I'll watch anything :D.

About Sherlock: Just saw Cumberbatch in Whistleblower and his American accent was v. good. Plus, he does smug asshole quite well :p.

29. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Hear, hear! :respec:

30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I appreciated that Cumberbatch's pretend violin playing didn't look as fake as fake violin playing done by actors usually does. :D