What is your involvement with figure skating?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skaterboi, Feb 18, 2011.

1. skaterboi

skaterboi New Member

I was curious as to what involvement does everyone here have with US Figure Skating, or skating in general. Are you a member of a club, do you or did you compete, parent of a skater, coach/official, or simply a fan?

I am a member of our local club and skate at the adult level.
    Frau Muller and (deleted member) like this.
  2. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

I'm a self-appointed critic of the sport and a champion of all athletes.
  3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I am an adult skater. I have been a independant (non-club) member of USFSA, and a club member of USFSA. I was on our club's board for a very short time (just a few months, then I lost my job and had to quit skating- I couldn't afford the club dues that were then due). I have been a Basic Skills member of USFSA, and a Basic Skills instructor. I have volunteered at many (local) competitions, and at a regionals.

I've been a member of an ISI adult synchro team, and ISI judge for a local event, and an ISI adult skater.
  4. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

I have been a fan of/watching skating since 1998. I have taken lessons off and on and are currently doing some right now.

I am the webmaster of Keegan's fan website and fan page on facebook. Technically, I do all of Keegan's internet/social media stuff. He hates the internet. It's an ongoing joke with all of us who know him ;).

I also run the facebook fan page for Ashley Cain and Joshua Reagan. That's about it.

I also have many friends who skate at the senior level, and I support all of them best I can. :)
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I've been a fan since 1993.
  6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Just a "fan" of skating since the late 60's when all I got to see on ABC was some skating occassionally in the winter.
    Became more of a "rabid fan" in the mid 90's with the advent of the computer and the internet.
  7. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I've been a fan since the days of Peggy Fleming & Tim Wood (late 60's). Figure skating is the one sport I've never grown tired of watching.
  8. icewalker08

icewalker08 New Member

I am just fan since 1998 Nagano olympic. :)
  9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Primarily a fan. My first exposure was watching Carol Heiss win the 1960 Olympics.
    I've supported local skaters through their club travel funds.
    Did pond skating as a kid. I was an adult skater, but retired due to injury.
  10. geod2

geod2 New Member

This question might be even more interesting if it was set up as a poll, like the prediction contests, etc.
  11. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Fan and (former?) fan page webmistress. :)
  12. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I've been a fan since I was about 8 when I saw the Nagano Olympics. :) I've taken sporadic lessons ever since then, but never competed. When I have more time/money I would totally like to get back into it.
  13. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Super topic, skaterboi!

My interest -
    Fan since seeing Peggy Fleming on TV, winning the 1968 Olympic gold in Grenoble.

Traveler to major competitions since 1980.

Collector of rare films of both skating & ballet since 1981 (over 2,000 titles, all converted to DVD, covering 3 walls of a guest bedroom!).

Skater since graduate school - 1983.

Wife of skater...if hockey counts! :) Both members of Wash FSC + he's in 3 hockey clubs, including a 'Russian Expats' club.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Fan since 1988 Olympics, and taking FS lessons since 1990 (but not competing)
  15. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Skater, skating mom, coach and fairweather fan.
  16. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Being born down South, my options for figure skating were limited, especially during the time I was younger. So I was a dancer. Dance and figure skating really go well together, so I started following skating at a very early age. I lived for the Olympics! This continued until the mid/late 90's when I got addicted to the Grand Prix on TV and discovered Yagudin. That's when my interest took a huge step. Wound up going to Salt Lake City to see his win. Shortly after, I found this forum, and I haven't been the same since! Truly. although I don't know a lot about the technical side of skating, I have great love and appreciation for those who even attempt to do it. Wish I had been born in another colder clinmate. The physical limitations I had for ballet (lousy feet for pointe...) made no difference in skating, and I have really strong legs and derriere. I coulda been a contendah!:lol:
  17. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Fan since I saw Midori Ito vs. Kristi Yamaguchi in Albertville in 1992. I was just shocked that Japanese/Japanese-American athletes were at the top of a sport, and at a technical level that could rival and surpass most men at the time.

Late starter - started when I was 12. I was no Johnny Weir, but by the time I was 18 I tested up to novice and was able to do a triple toe loop and was making decent attempts at a triple lutz - never came close to the other triples. This all came to a grinding halt when I was in college.

I picked up skating a few years again as an adult and boy did my technique have to change :lol:
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  18. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Formerly a cometitive skater but a pretty hopeless one! Off ice for 2 years, then was a recreational skater for a few years and started lessons again in June.

Been a fan since I started round about 1995 but was relying on family members recording it of TV for a long time. Only got the internet in 2006 and the obession really took off then!
  19. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I started to follow figure skating after the Olympics in Torino and attended my first competition last season. I collaborate with an italian website and (as I'm a physio student) my dream is to work with figure skaters.
  20. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Strictly a fan. I was no good as a skater as a teenager. Now I enjoy going to competitions whenever possible and cheering my lungs out. It is the most fun I have.
  21. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I'm a fan. It started with Ice Capades, especially The Old Smoothies, and grew from there.
  22. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

I'm just a fan and a quite new one. Figure skating isn't really that "known" in Denmark, so I first only became a fan when I entered high school 4½ ago - my parent bought me a laptop and the world of figure skating became open :2faced:. Now I can watch most competitions on-line on some obscure site - though school takes most of my time, so I usually watch it on Youtube.
  23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I was a fan as a kid, but I didn't become a megafan until last year, a while before US Nats.
  24. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Just a fan, since the Dorothy Hamill era.

Never had a pair of skates on in my life. Thus the name Flatfoote. My feet are, always have been, and always will be flat to the ground. No blades have ever come between my feet and terra firma.

Oh, and the e at the end is cause when I first used this moniker back on some other long forgotten and primitive message board, they re-formatted the board and everyone had to re-register. But for some reason it wouldn't take just Flatfoot, saying it was already in use (by me of course). So in order to re-register, I had to put an e at the end so it would be accepted. I've kept that persona on any skating related site since.
  25. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I used to skate recreationally in Chelsea Piers. I've been a fan since Nicole Bobek.
  26. jcopper

jcopper New Member

Purely a fan, since the mid to late 90s. Will be going to personally watch a comp for the first time this March.
  27. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

Purely a fan! I've been hooked on this sport ever since the 1994 Olympics and have basically watched every competition since then. Nicole Bobek was my first skating love! <3
  28. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I've been a fan since 2006 when I saw the ladies and mens event at Torino. And I skate a bit in addition to doing a lot of off ice jumping.
  29. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Adult competitive skater. Skated as a kid at an east coast rink during the Scott Hamilton, Katherine Healy and Todd Eldregde eras there. Took many years off and started again in 1995ish. Now I do my monthly podcasts (http://www.manleywoman.com) where I interview famous skating folks. I also volunteer occasionally for club events, and was on the USFS Adult Committee for two years.
  30. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

31. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

I am a fan who occasionally goes skating at the local rink. I used to write an online figure skating soap opera.
  32. crawall

crawall New Member

I am the little sister of a skater, a true Rink Rat, who spent most of her childhood eating frozen licorice qnd waiting for the Zamboni. Now I am a fan of everyone, but especially of my sister/supercoach and her skaters.Sometime nervous aunt/skater chaperone/hairstylist. Love the sport, so glad its not me out there!
  33. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I'm an adult competitive skater, started at age 37. I began in freestyle, but switched to dance and synchro. I was a skating mom; my daughter no longer competes, but got her Senior tests. We both coach now. I've also served on my club's board for many years.
  34. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We always watched FS during the Olympics, but really became diehard fans during the 1988 Calgary Olympics, thanks to "The Battle of the Brians," G&G, & Midori Ito). I regret that we didn't follow the sport more intensely between 1984-1988. Now we follow everything, attend local/regional/national competitions and shows. We also started taking fs lessons and skate recreationally.

Oh, and for years I had the Dorothy Hamill wedge cut, until the hair stylist convinced me to get a perm (that took about 6 years of convincing, LOL).
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  35. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

Fan, and also what my brother calls a 'bounty hunter'; like to meet the skaters, get autographed pictures, made some DVDs of hard-to-get performances for my computor-illiterate Aunt, made a calendar for a supervisor at work of the bendy Sasha Cohen, took 6 friends and family over the years to attend Stars On Ice. First skater that caught my eye was Liz Manley, when Canadian networks had a field day over her Olympic Silver. Ever since then, it's been a gravy train.
  36. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

Fan. I've always loved skating as a child, but there wasn't an ice rink in my city, so I just had fun when I could go... I learned a bit, but all by myself and with youtube, so I don't think my jumps will receive high GOE :lol:
    Fan since 1998 Olympics, when I started to follow little newspaper articles, huge fan since 2002 when I discovered Internet :D I wrote sometime for an Italian website, for a skater site, and recently I've started a little blog.
  37. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Fan since Peggy Fleming days. Love going to competitions.
  38. ElinorD

ElinorD New Member

I've been a fan since '88 Olympics in Calgary. "The Battle of the Brians" is what did it for me. :) I've skated on an off since I was 10, but I'm terrible (stuck at a single loop...)! I'm a club member and volunteer. I've been off the ice for over a year because my father died, and it's just been too hard. I'm planning to go back tomorrow. After seeing the Men's competition live (first time attending a competition), and RISE, the bug bit me again. The obsession continues... lol!
  39. Tammi

Tammi Well-Known Member

Club member & volunteer, skating mom, skating wife and big fan of all the levels. Myself, I haven't been on skates since I was in high school.
  40. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I've been a fan since 2002, when I watched the 2002 Olympics on television. :)