What is this hop called?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Bunny_Hop, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Bunny_Hop

Bunny_Hop New Member

I was watching this video on Youtube, and I noticed just after 0:34 the skater does a hop which looks like a bunny hop at first glance, but actually isn't. Instead of taking off on the left, landing on the right toepick, and pushing onto left, it takes off the same but lands on the same toepick, then pushes onto the right foot.

A couple of friends and I tried it and it looks quite good when done well (as in this video) and probably weird when not done well (eg. me). It took me a few tries to get confident enough to do it off the barrier. I found it marginally harder/more scary than a bunny hop, mostly because you have to jump high enough to get your pick properly off the ice so you can re-land on the same pick before pushing off. You can also do them "in combination" with a normal bunny hop (bunny hop first, unless you switch feet and do a right-left-right hop, which I can't).

Anyway, the point is, does anyone know what this thing is called? I think probably other skaters have done it in a footwork sequence or something, but I can't remember specifically seeing it.

2. Lurking Skater

Lurking Skater Ms Lurker if you're nasty

An old coach of mine called it a double bunny hop.

3. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Eys, double bunny hop. Needs more right leg (and less underwear showing, sheesh).

4. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Think of it as a "skip" and it's not as intimidating.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

A skippy bunny hop.

She is quite a nice little skater. Really thought about her music (and not many skaters at that age do).

6. Bunny_Hop

Bunny_Hop New Member

Yeah it's a lovely program. She skates so fast! I sometimes watch fast skaters, both on Youtube and in real life, to inspire myself to skate faster. :D

EDIT: I found this roller figure skating dictionary which defines a double bunny hop as:

Starting on a LF with the free leg extended in back, the right leg swings forward while jumping at the same time. The left leg scissors forward in the air. The landing is on the left toe-stop pushing onto a RF.

That seems to describe it. :)

I'm adding this to my list of "things I can sorta do which would look good if I could do them well" (along with attitude, backward crossovers and lunge).

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  7. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

And yes i get sick of seeing underwear!

8. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I don't care about seeing underwear. Much ado about nothing. As a friend once said about someone who pointed out her undies faux pas: "He wouldn't have noticed if he wasn't staring at my *** in the first place."

That describes what I learned as a "double bunny hop" in the ISI. However, the skater in the video never brings her left foot forward to scissor before landing on that toerake.

The video shows a skip, not a "double bunny hop."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLxLPBSAf04&t=0m32s

You should still strive towards mastering that move, though, and the bunny hop/double bunny hop will be easier! The effort will build body and blade control.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010