What is the future for Alena Lonova ?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by love_skate2011, Oct 31, 2013.

what will happen ?

1. She will follow the Makarova route

22 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. She will rise from the ashes and bury the Russian wonderbabies

12 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Stick a fork in her, she's done

43 vote(s)
    46.7%
  4. She will skate the Pirates of the Carribean SP for 3 more seasons

15 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

looks like she out of NHK GP as well

its appears her chances of making the Olympics have become more bleak
    with more Russian juniors going into the senior ranks, will Leonova still make a comeback and legitimate post Sochi 2014 ?

2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It is not very likely that she will manage comeback. For starters, if I recall correctly, Leonova had only 3T-3T, whereas all the coming ladies are having harder 3-3 combinations. Also, it is not only one or two ladies that became eligible, there is a queue of them and every year more and more will be coming now. If skating was like a tennis and not limited by max 3 per country, she would have a chance, but as it is now, I think her chance is disappearing. To be send to Europeans/ Worlds, she needs to be in top 3 at nationals (for Worlds in top 2). I don't think she can achieve that. Now she has withdrawn from her GP events, next year she may not have the standings and therefore maybe get only 1 GP event. What chances a skater has if they are not send to Europeans/Worlds and have only one event? Senior B competitions?

3. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

She is done. Her consistency and confidence is gone, the young Russians are all becoming age eligible and she never won Russian Nationals even at her peak and when the others were undeveloped.

4. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Yeah, that GP was her only real hope of putting herself out there before nationals. At this point a Senior B event won't do much good when all of the other ladies vying for those two spots (Julia, Liza T, Adelina, Anna) will have had two events against the best ladies in the field.

Alena fell off majorly last year. IDK what happened to her but she finished no higher than 6th at any event IIRC. With that world silver medal around her neck, last year was her season to build up her reputation for Sochi and instead she plummeted.

The Russian ladies field is way too deep at this point and with only two spots, there would have to be a number of monumental meltdowns at nationals in order for Alena to end up in one of them...

5. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

I think what happened if she felt the pressure for the first time. She was always the underdog but after the 2012 Worlds she had a new stature and reputation to live up to, and she even saw the chance to be Russian #1 moving forward. She couldn't handle it.

She also knows she isn't a spectacular skater either technically or artistically so she has to skate near perfect to do well. That adds to the pressure. The reason someone like Yu Na Kim is so consistent is in part she knows she can get away with a couple mistakes should they happen. People like Alena are the other extreme, without even a bit of that comfort zone sense.

6. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

You forgot to add that the pressure wasn't only because she was suddenly number one, but because the talented girls from her country got suddenly age eligible. It is much easier to skate if you know that you don't have (age eligible) competition from your country and that no matter what happens, you are going to be sent to Europeans/worlds. However, last year suddenly there was more skaters potentially able to be sent to Europeans/worlds than there was available spots. Adelina and Liza were suddenly age eligible for Europeans and worlds and Julia became age eligible for the GP; all of them could potentially beat her pretty easy and she realised that every year it will get worse (with more and more girls becoming age eligible). Radionova dominating competitions at the junior level last year... I am not surprised that Leonova lost all her confidence.

7. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the Makarova option and the fork?

I predict she will play Miss Piggy in a broadway-style show somewhere and really ham it up.

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Excuse me? Before Morozov got his greasy paws on her, she was an outstanding artistic skater.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She never had a chance to make the Olympics in the first place. She is done. She has neither the technical content, nor the consistency of the younger skaters.

She is fun and perky and would have probably been a very interesting skater if not for Morozov but oh well.

10. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Morozov is the only one who gave her any look on the ice at all. Before that she was a wannabee version of a young Slutskaya, minus the athletic ability, speed and power, and high quality elements.

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

That's not true. The Witch program she had before Morozov and I really likes that one. She already had the look on the ice.

12. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The witch program showed she didn't have to be fun and perky all the time. I hate that people write she should only ever be fun and perky! Especially when after Witches her second best program ever was the Morozov Adagio/Requiem free skate! That was perfect for her too!

Her plummet after the world silver was unfortunate and may have been because of a very public bout with a severe eating disorder.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well yes, she can do much more than fun and perky, of course. She is very expressive and has great presence on the ice.

The Witch program is probably her most memorable indeed. :)

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She benefited from the vacuum of elite Russian ladies in the last quad with her general consistency. She didn't need a 3/3 or decent skating skills to make the Olympics in Vancouver. She was never going to make the team in 2006 or 2014.

She again greatly beneficted in 2012 when the Rus Fed could spend more resources on politiking for her when there were no men or ice dance to contend. To this day, that silver medal puzzles me.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The Makarova option
    The fork

The Makarova option also includes an academic degree and a career outside of figure skating. Whether the fork does too remains unknown.

:COP:

16. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

"A very public bout with a severe eating disorder"? GMAFB. There were a couple of posts from FSU's amateur doctors speculating on a few lines in her blog. That's hardly evidence that she had a "severe" eating disorder, much less a "very public bout" with one.

17. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^This is my first time hearing anything about it.

I assumed she was having coaching/training problems...

18. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I was very positive about her last month, but now I've watched Sotnikova, Radionova, Lipnitskaya...I'm afraid she will follow the Makarova route.

19. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

Some people on here seem to take great delight in watching a young girl have problems.
    I really hope both Alena & Makarova are happy both on & off the ice.
    If they have problems I wish them well.
    They are bothe beautiful skaters who have given me a lot of joy when watching them skate.

20. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

What happened to Marakova? Is she retired or did Russia just dump her?

21. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Leonova's FS is even more tragic than her "Pirate" SP. The SP at least has a fun element to it, some upper body movement and great expression. In her "Carmen" FS, she's not even trying. Stroke-jump-stroke-jump-stroke-jump.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm still confused about what the difference is between the two options.

BTW, I couldn't help but feel sorry for Mira Leung in that clip.

24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think the difference between the two was basically knowing when to move on and do something new with your life (Makarova) or becoming Mira Leung or Fumie Suguri.

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

To be fair, Makarova struggled two seasons, whereas Lenonova only one. So Leonova still have one season to go before she realises that there is not much chance to succeed now.

26. judgejudy27

Next year Radianova will be age eligible as well. The thing with Leonova is had she actually continued skating well she would have a real shot right now (which cant really be said of Makarova). So the people who said she never had a shot are not really correct. The Russian federation and judges would not completely dismiss a World silver medalist from 2 seasons ago in favor of struggling Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva who were 9th and 10th at Worlds, baby Anna, etc...Only Julia (who right now is clearly their #1) might clearly be favored over her, but even that isnt clear as Julia is only 15, and hasnt even been to a Worlds yet. The problem is she hasnt done anything to build on her 2012 World medal, and her level of skating has far regressed since, and this is the period she needed to stay strong and make her case. I dont think she has much hope after this year as people like Anna will improve, Radionova will be able to go Worlds, Sotnikova and the other enigmas might get their act together at some point (atleast 1 of them), and she will have destroyed all her past reputation from 2 seasons of skating very poorly.

27. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

Russians initially had high hopes for Alena, I recall they gave her an apartment in Moscow, etc. except for her world silver medal, she did not materialize into the next Irina and they moved on.

28. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

More than any other skater, Leonova reminds me of Slutskaya. She has a similar style, and they both burst onto the scene with some very early success as perky teenagers, then foundered for a surprisingly long time. The World silver was kind of a surprise, as she had not done that well leading up to it (7th at Europeans). She has still never won a GP event, which seems odd. Slutskata also struggled for a while in the late 90s before emerging as a top contender. A lot of folks had already written her off.

One advantage Leonova has is that she has already gone thru her growing pains, so her success or lack of success going forward will be about how well she trains and prepares and avoiding injury.

29. judgejudy27

Leonova isnt the same powerhouse jumper with excellent spins and footwork that Slutskaya is though. That is the biggest difference.

Along with that Slutskaya was a great competitor, and a much tougher one than Leonova. I know some people will dispute that and say she faltered and lost some events people expected her to win (Kwan 2000 and 2001 Worlds, Hughes and Arakawa 2002 and 2006 Olympics), but she almost never had a meltdown, and by todays standards would be seen as incredibly consistent.

I agree their styles are similar, but their potential really isnt.

30. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Sure, that's advantage, but the disadvantage is that she has the least jumps from all her competitors within Russian ladies. they all have triple-triple, and much more difficult than toe loop-toe loop. And as there is so many of them and more and more coming with each year now, Lenova's chances are disappearing. Even if one or two of them struggled, there is more coming and there may be maximum of three spots (obviously this year only two spots at worlds and Olympics).

I wouldn't be surprised if Leonova finished around 8th place at Russian nationals. And that is still lucky (that's only because they won't let skaters under 14 compete in seniors this year, otherwise she would have found herself even lower).