what is politicking?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by iggie, Nov 26, 2011.

1. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

that term is bounced around all the time, but i don't exactly know how it's done. anyone care to explain?

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Coaches, federation officials, parents, other skaters, etc. informally lobbying the judges and/or officials to get them to treat a skater more favorably. Or judges making deals with each other to support some skaters but not others.

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

And it's frequently used when a poster's favorite skater didn't win. Clearly, politicking was the reason if a different skater was scored higher. :p

4. Pierre

Pierre New Member

5. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

is it a matter of saying that your team, which previously could barely crack the top ten, is now is the top tier, which means that the judges start to see them as a top team, which means that they start to give them top tier marks?

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

7. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I love that post. :lol:

8. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

thanks

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Politiking can take many forms. The examples given above are good. Using current skaters in instructional videos as examples of good or bad choreography or elements is politiking IMO.

Part of politiking could also be advocating for certain rule changes that affect everyone on paper but will more likely advance one group of skaters over another. For example, eliminating CDs and encouraging uplifting FDs is helpful to the American ice dancers, but penalizing wrong edge takeoffs and cheated jumps is hurtful to the American ladies.

10. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Wow:respec:

11. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Excellent, excellent. Names have been changed to protect the guilty? ;)

12. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

13. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Didn't Lori say something about how she talks to judges about how amazing Patrick's programs are?

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Another example: Frank Caroll saying couple years ago-"Mirai is scary good", and more recently- saying Liza Tuktamysheva skates at a novice or junior level. Both statements help his skater. That's politicking.

15. krenseby

krenseby New Member

But I don't know of anyone else but Frank doing this sort of thing. Have you ever heard Brian Orser take Mao Asada down a notch or two? Has Tom Z. ever talked trash about Mirai to help Rachael's cause?

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Usually the politiking in the press is more in the form of hyping their own skaters (like Zoueva does with D&W and V&M). I agree, it's rare (and not classy) to speak badly about the rivals of one's pupils in the press. I wonder if it happens backstage more than we think, though. :shuffle:

17. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^I'm fairly sure the majority of "politicking" takes place "backstage".

18. os168

os168 Active Member

Politicking happens all the time, but can be felt more from those from the stronger federations through influencing and rule changing. It became more apparent when their skaters were still able to scores high without the performance or the technical content to back it up. Politicking include favours, you do this for me this time and I do this for you next, the essence of diplomacy between strong nations.

It shows up at home competition bonus or coach's home competition bonus. So ideally if the skater get these 2 assignments, they have higher chance of sailing through the competition. And more often than not, they can get away with all sort of crap if they failed to deliver a credible performance; the only question is the degree of threshold they can get away with based on their reputation, momentum and impression and some abstract indicators called the COP PCS.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  19. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Here's an example of a likely politically motivated rule change:the rule change that allowed ladies to perform a double or triple axel in the short program. I assume that the Japanese Federation pushed this through for Mao right before the last Olympics so she would have an advantage. I wonder if she felt pressured by her fed to do the triple axel in the short and that was why she was obsessed with that jump at the exclusion of other jumps that year.

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

The only problem with your theory is that the rules got changed AFTER the Olympics. Therefore at the Olympics Mao had to do her triple axel in her SP in combination with the toe loop, because she still had to do the double axel in her SP.

21. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Despite the time that it was changed, it doesn't negate the fact that the only skater going for the triple axel in the SP at the time was Mao. So the rule wasn't benefiting most of the top ladies skaters.

22. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

She certainly wasn't the first woman to do one, so it was only a matter of time that the rules were expanded.

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

And Liz. There was the link on you tube of Liz Tuktamysheva landing one, so it could have been pushed not only by Japanese federation, but also by the Russians with long-term view for Sochi.

24. modern_muslimah

Maybe but considering that Tuktamysheva wasn't landing 3x's in competition during the time the rule was passed or even now, I don't think it was very likely that the Russians were behind it.

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

She wasn't landing it in competition, but there was a link on youtube of her landing it in the practice in her program, so you can't really say that it didn't cross the Russian federation's mind, considering that next Olympics are in Sochi and she is one of their big hopes.

26. modern_muslimah

I saw the YT clip but considering that Tuk wasn't and still hasn't done a 3x in competition while Mao was doing 3x's for years in competition, even before Vancouver, I would think it would be far more likely the rule change was a result of Japanese politiking since Mao would have been the only skater at the time likely to benefit from it. It's not a bad thing btw. I don't blame the Japanese fed at all if it was behind the rule change.

27. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

This rule has been changed for men many years ago : it's normal to see that change for Ladies, even if few ladies can land 3Axel in the SP.
    Probably Mao Asada accelerated this rule. :)