What is Oksana Baiul doing these days?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by snoopysnake, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I think the Christmas card is cute.

Wasn't Oksana born in the former Soviet Union? It's always been my understanding that the Communist regime discouraged religious practices, preferring to consider themselves (as a group) atheists. Oksana's grandmother, and mother seemed to have given Oksana some kind of religious upbringing though-at least that's what I thought when I saw the fluffy years ago with Oksana praying in front of candles, crossing herself, etc.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What?
    It would be fun. Oksana would, if anything, make it more interesting. She'd keep us all in stitches. Do you remember her stint on Family Feud?

3. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Me too! But Oksana has had so much dance training, she would have to be considered a ringer.

4. jenniferlyon

Oksana used to cross herself before every competition, one of her early exhibition programs was "Ave Maria", and she often talked about her faith in God during interviews. I don't know if she was a regular churchgoer as a teen or a young adult, but she definitely had a set of beliefs and they were important enough to her that she expressed them in public.

5. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

If both Kristi and Evan were cast on the show, I don't think that's an issue. On the other hand, given all the times Oksana has forgotten choreography in her skating routines and made an idiot of herself will probably not endear her to the casting people.

6. Perky Shae Lynn

Perky Shae Lynn Well-Known Member

Jeez, what a mean-spirited post. Even "reading" into the dog's "expression". Russian/Ukrainian Jews that live in North America often celebrate Christmas as well as Jewish holidays. What's a big deal there???

7. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Still doing Swan Lake, eh? It's like she's frozen in time. :lol:

9. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

its her most requested :)

10. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Ox is still sweet and cute. She just needs someone to look out for her.

11. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

^^That. Also, in the tv movie about her life (A Promise Kept) when her babushka died, the funeral was at a Ukranian Orthodox church. I know its a movie, but surely if she was Jewish the producers would have shown that.

12. pixie cut

She did not know she was Jewish until much later when she went to Ukraine to visit her father and grandmother (father's mother). Her father told her that her mother and her mother's mother were Jewish, which makes her Jewish, but they kept it hidden. Long after OGM and the movie.

13. AndyWarhol

How odd.

14. pixie cut

Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright did not know she was Jewish until she was in her 40s or 50s. The parents hid it to avoid persecution. She was raised Catholic.

Ukraine was a tough place for Jews, even in Baiul's early life.

15. AndyWarhol

That is understandable. I didn't really mean it was odd that her family hid it, just a bit shocking to me as I have always thought her to be a staunch catholic (the crosses before programs etc). I really should have clarified that.

I wonder about her transition from catholic to judaism. Believing something your whole life then finding out you are supposed to believe something else.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

To clarify: before Oksana knew she was Jewish (although I don't really know what her beliefs are now) she was not a Catholic but a Russian Orthodox.

17. AndyWarhol

thank you for clarifying.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  18. pixie cut

Actually, Ukrainian Orthodox, which is virtually identical to Russian Orthodoxy but still is separate.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:huh:

20. Artifice

Artifice Guest

So just because she found out that her mother was jewish, she had to admit that she was jewish too, even after spending all her life believing in something else... odd. Can't she just say "I'm orthodox and jewish, because I want to be othodox and not jewish" ?

Anyway, her swan lake is like a classic, like a singer has his number one, for Oksana it's this program (or variation of her first swan) and as long as she does it well I don't find any problem with that. This summer exhibition is actually good. She still has the particular mood to perform the swan very well.

21. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

If you notice, Oksana always blessed herself the opposite way from how Catholics do. touching her right shoulder first, then her left. Catholics cross themselves touching their left shoulder, then their right.

22. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Is that a Russian(Ukrainian?) Orthodox thing or just an observation?

23. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

That I don't know. I only know how Catholics do it.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

25. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

My most favorite Swan Lake performance by Oksana is from the 94 Oly (Black Swan SP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zKfZVurJY

The other Swan Lake she has been performing was first done as a pro, and is not as lovely, IMO. Still, it's good to see her skating again.

27. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

My fave of Oksana's was her '93 Short Program, but another favorite was this Flamenco by Liebert /Duende del Amor that she did as a pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQSF0qU_tNo

Does anyone have a link to any other performance of it other than that one?

28. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

29. jenniferlyon

When someone says they're Jewish, they might be referring to their ethnic heritage rather than their religious practices. That may be the case with Oksana, I don't know. Or she might have found a way to blend the two religions. Whatever works for her.

There are actually three distinct swan programs in Oksana's repertoire. The first one's the Black Swan, which she performed as her short program in the 1993-1994 season. The second swan program, Camille Saint-Saen's "The Swan" is Oksana's signature piece and also dates back to 1994. Some fans refer to it as the White Swan because of her costume, but she also does a White Swan Tchaikovsky program. It's this third version that Oksana has been perfoming lately. I saw practice footage of it on her FB page. The girl's still got it!

30. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

She always joke how its been alll these years and she's still doing Swan programs :)