What is Oksana Baiul doing these days?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by snoopysnake, Dec 1, 2010.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I, too am very happy to see her looking well and tiffed (love the black dress with the buckle) although I agree about over-tweezing. Overall, she looks great and seems to be enjoying teaching kids.

2. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Oksana's version of The Nutcracker on Ice is my all time fave. To me she looked like the quintessential Clara. I watch it every year around Christmas time. :) She was my favorite skater back in her day and I was saddened at the turn her life took.

I think 2010 Oksana looks much improved :cool: (thank God) compared to her 2007 self. :wideeyes:

I think such remarks are cruel-not funny in the least imo.

I agree-she looks amazing in the pics (thanks to all who posted them!).

Some of my all time favorite programs were by Oksana (both competitive and exhibition skates). I wish her all my best. :oksana1:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
    lemur and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Great to see she's in a much happier place now. :)

She looks much much better.

I am very surprised she's back in Ukraine and opening a skating school there.

I imagine she'd easily make money in the US by working as a coach there.

4. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

I would expect she's a much bigger name in the Ukraine than she is in the States and as such has a lot more financial opportunities. In the States she would be a little remembered fish in a very big pond, in the Ukraine I would assume she's a big fish in a...well you know.

5. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

It looks like being home in Ukraine really agrees with Oksana. Great to see her with the young skaters and looking so happy. I'm so glad that I started this thread and thanks to all who brought us up to date with positive news about her.

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting those photos. She looks really happy and healthy. So nice to see. And good on her for getting a skating school going.

7. Artifice

Artifice Guest

But maybe decisions are not only about money potential, Oksana may just want to be home again since she is ukrainian. Just a thoughts. ;)

8. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Great to see her doing well again!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  9. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have a point. I guess I'm so used to seeing skaters in tons of make-up that when they don't have it on it just feels weird to me.

It seems that returning to her roots is being good for her, it probably doesn't require a lot of effort to feel beloved in her home country which is something I think she really needs. Hope she manages to keep it up. :)

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Obviously.

But compared to US, Ukraine is a very poor country and the money you earn there will be nothing like she would in the States.

In the US, she wouldn't need to be super successful to make a decent living. Some parents and adult skaters would surely come to train with somebody who is an Olympic Champion.

I guess the reason must be what Artifice said. Maybe she misses home or maybe - like the Siudeks - she's actually patriotic and really wants to develop Ukrainian skating. :)

If it's the latter even better because Ukrainian skating is in a really crap place now. The more help it can get, the better.

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

But she was living in New Jersey, so all things considered maybe it's just more advantageous to her to live in Ukraine. Maybe she didn't like living in New Jersey anymore because it's too stressful and our taxes suck and our rent is too high and car insurance is too expensive and she wanted to move away and Ukraine was the natural choice because she's comfortable there and has ties. Ziggy, where would you rather live, New Jersey or Poland? (London not being an option in this poll) :p

People in Jersey are hurting. I haven't talked to any coaches to find out how our economic situation is affecting their business, but I can't imagine skating coaches are making quite a killing these days.

Wasn't there mention recently that she's enrolled in college in Ukraine? She wouldn't be going to college for cheap in New Jersey, that's for sure.

She looks healthy in those photos so it seems to have been a good choice for her.

12. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Actually, yes she could. New Jersey, like most states in the U.S., has state institutions that have significantly reduced tuitions for state residents.

13. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Reduced, yes, quite a lot. Cheap? I guess that depends whether or not you consider $12,500/year "cheap".

14. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  15. pixie cut

TDsk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

18. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

She seems to be in the NYC area or was for Weir's book launch party last week (I doubt she'd come from the Ukraine just for that). She's in the pictures that were posted by Icenetwork.

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Oh, what happened there?

20. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

She's not living in Ukraine ~ she lives in (was already) NJ and did come to Johnny's party

21. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

TDsk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. pixie cut

Or the Mariah Carey School of Photoshop. ;)

23. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates on Oksana. I miss her! It's so good to see her looking happy and healthy.

24. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

That dog either looks terrified, embarrassed, or both in that Holiday card.

Who and why is she saluting?

Isn't she supposed to be Jewish these days, and how does the Santa hat fit into all that?

Imagine the start people get when they open the envelope and have that grinning manically back at them.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

The dog looks like a dog, if you're seeing terror in it's face you're imagining things. And a creature that sniffs each other's behind is incapable of feeling embarassed.

Why is she saluting? Maybe it was the photographer's suggestion. Cute pose in my view but, to each their own.

Oksana never formally converted to Judaism, it's that she found out about having Jewish ancestry, and is embracing that side of her people.

As to her grin, she always had that devilish grin, part of her personality. I know my Aunt in Manitoba will like this as a greetings card.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. pixie cut

She didn't need to convert to Judaism. She is Jewish because her mother and her mother's mother were both Jewish.

It doesn't seem she ever embraced practicing the faith. When you're raised one way and then find out something else about yourself it's very difficult to change such a deep thing as faith. Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright has spoken about that. Of course, she was middle aged when she found out she was actually Jewish after having been raised Catholic and then becoming Episcopal after marriage.

27. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Rhetorical questions, but thanks for the answers. The dog is clearly terrified and embarrassed as it should be, and that grin isn't devilish, it's maniacal. I'm truly glad you and your Aunt in Manitoba enjoy it and all, but I find it to be hideous.

28. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

It's still my dream that she does "Dancing with the Stars" and partners with Maks...

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

:):):):):)

30. pixie cut

I have no interest in watching such a freak show. That would be something that would actually make me turn the show off.