What is Oksana Baiul doing these days?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by snoopysnake, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

But she was living in New Jersey, so all things considered maybe it's just more advantageous to her to live in Ukraine. Maybe she didn't like living in New Jersey anymore because it's too stressful and our taxes suck and our rent is too high and car insurance is too expensive and she wanted to move away and Ukraine was the natural choice because she's comfortable there and has ties. Ziggy, where would you rather live, New Jersey or Poland? (London not being an option in this poll) :p

People in Jersey are hurting. I haven't talked to any coaches to find out how our economic situation is affecting their business, but I can't imagine skating coaches are making quite a killing these days.

Wasn't there mention recently that she's enrolled in college in Ukraine? She wouldn't be going to college for cheap in New Jersey, that's for sure.

She looks healthy in those photos so it seems to have been a good choice for her.
  2. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Actually, yes she could. New Jersey, like most states in the U.S., has state institutions that have significantly reduced tuitions for state residents.
  3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Reduced, yes, quite a lot. Cheap? I guess that depends whether or not you consider $12,500/year "cheap".
  4. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  5. pixie cut

TDsk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

8. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

She seems to be in the NYC area or was for Weir's book launch party last week (I doubt she'd come from the Ukraine just for that). She's in the pictures that were posted by Icenetwork.
  9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Oh, what happened there?
  10. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

She's not living in Ukraine ~ she lives in (was already) NJ and did come to Johnny's party
  11. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

TDsk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. pixie cut

Or the Mariah Carey School of Photoshop. ;)
  13. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates on Oksana. I miss her! It's so good to see her looking happy and healthy.
  14. leesaleesa

leesaleesa New Member

That dog either looks terrified, embarrassed, or both in that Holiday card.

Who and why is she saluting?

Isn't she supposed to be Jewish these days, and how does the Santa hat fit into all that?

Imagine the start people get when they open the envelope and have that grinning manically back at them.
    Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

The dog looks like a dog, if you're seeing terror in it's face you're imagining things. And a creature that sniffs each other's behind is incapable of feeling embarassed.

Why is she saluting? Maybe it was the photographer's suggestion. Cute pose in my view but, to each their own.

Oksana never formally converted to Judaism, it's that she found out about having Jewish ancestry, and is embracing that side of her people.

As to her grin, she always had that devilish grin, part of her personality. I know my Aunt in Manitoba will like this as a greetings card.
    BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. pixie cut

She didn't need to convert to Judaism. She is Jewish because her mother and her mother's mother were both Jewish.

It doesn't seem she ever embraced practicing the faith. When you're raised one way and then find out something else about yourself it's very difficult to change such a deep thing as faith. Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright has spoken about that. Of course, she was middle aged when she found out she was actually Jewish after having been raised Catholic and then becoming Episcopal after marriage.
  17. leesaleesa

leesaleesa New Member

Rhetorical questions, but thanks for the answers. The dog is clearly terrified and embarrassed as it should be, and that grin isn't devilish, it's maniacal. I'm truly glad you and your Aunt in Manitoba enjoy it and all, but I find it to be hideous.
  18. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

It's still my dream that she does "Dancing with the Stars" and partners with Maks...
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

:):):):):)
  20. pixie cut

I have no interest in watching such a freak show. That would be something that would actually make me turn the show off.
  21. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I think the Christmas card is cute.

Wasn't Oksana born in the former Soviet Union? It's always been my understanding that the Communist regime discouraged religious practices, preferring to consider themselves (as a group) atheists. Oksana's grandmother, and mother seemed to have given Oksana some kind of religious upbringing though-at least that's what I thought when I saw the fluffy years ago with Oksana praying in front of candles, crossing herself, etc.
  22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What?
    It would be fun. Oksana would, if anything, make it more interesting. She'd keep us all in stitches. Do you remember her stint on Family Feud?
  23. jenniferlyon

Me too! But Oksana has had so much dance training, she would have to be considered a ringer.
  24. jenniferlyon

Oksana used to cross herself before every competition, one of her early exhibition programs was "Ave Maria", and she often talked about her faith in God during interviews. I don't know if she was a regular churchgoer as a teen or a young adult, but she definitely had a set of beliefs and they were important enough to her that she expressed them in public.
  25. pixie cut

If both Kristi and Evan were cast on the show, I don't think that's an issue. On the other hand, given all the times Oksana has forgotten choreography in her skating routines and made an idiot of herself will probably not endear her to the casting people.
  26. Perky Shae Lynn

Perky Shae Lynn Well-Known Member

Jeez, what a mean-spirited post. Even "reading" into the dog's "expression". Russian/Ukrainian Jews that live in North America often celebrate Christmas as well as Jewish holidays. What's a big deal there???
  27. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

28. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Still doing Swan Lake, eh? It's like she's frozen in time. :lol:
  29. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

its her most requested :)
  30. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood New Member

Ox is still sweet and cute. She just needs someone to look out for her.
  31. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

^^That. Also, in the tv movie about her life (A Promise Kept) when her babushka died, the funeral was at a Ukranian Orthodox church. I know its a movie, but surely if she was Jewish the producers would have shown that.
  32. pixie cut

She did not know she was Jewish until much later when she went to Ukraine to visit her father and grandmother (father's mother). Her father told her that her mother and her mother's mother were Jewish, which makes her Jewish, but they kept it hidden. Long after OGM and the movie.
  33. AndyWarhol

34. pixie cut

Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright did not know she was Jewish until she was in her 40s or 50s. The parents hid it to avoid persecution. She was raised Catholic.

Ukraine was a tough place for Jews, even in Baiul's early life.
  35. AndyWarhol

That is understandable. I didn't really mean it was odd that her family hid it, just a bit shocking to me as I have always thought her to be a staunch catholic (the crosses before programs etc). I really should have clarified that.

I wonder about her transition from catholic to judaism. Believing something your whole life then finding out you are supposed to believe something else.
  36. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

To clarify: before Oksana knew she was Jewish (although I don't really know what her beliefs are now) she was not a Catholic but a Russian Orthodox.
  37. AndyWarhol

thank you for clarifying.
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  38. pixie cut

Actually, Ukrainian Orthodox, which is virtually identical to Russian Orthodoxy but still is separate.
  39. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:huh:
  40. Artifice

Artifice Guest

So just because she found out that her mother was jewish, she had to admit that she was jewish too, even after spending all her life believing in something else... odd. Can't she just say "I'm orthodox and jewish, because I want to be othodox and not jewish" ?

Anyway, her swan lake is like a classic, like a singer has his number one, for Oksana it's this program (or variation of her first swan) and as long as she does it well I don't find any problem with that. This summer exhibition is actually good. She still has the particular mood to perform the swan very well.