What is Anton Sikharulidze doing these days?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Vash01, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

My favorite pairs skater Anton Sikharulidze seems to have disappeared. What is he doing these days? Last year there were rumors of him trying for a high position in the Russian federation, but he withdrew. Does he have some kind of position in his fed? Is he still skating? (not with Elena, obviously)

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I believe he is part of the Russian Duma but that is not unusual in Russia.

3. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the Duma?
    I'm assuming some kind of government department?

4. Daria

Daria New Member

I think he has been in politics for several years, working with sports development or something like that. He aimed russian fed presidency but withdrew after knowing the president would not have effective command. I heard somewhere he is going to marry but I don't know anything about the girl.

Some famous athletes became Duma deputies, including gymnasts Svetlana Khorkina and Alina Kabaeva.

5. Vash01

Daria, thank you for the information.

6. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

IIRC he actually did skate with Berezhnaya at a few events this past year, such as the Chaplin show that Yagudin headlined. He also took part in the Russian Skating/Dancing with the stars series .

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Russian DUMA is kind of an assembly, very formal and serves as a governing body of Russia I guess. My memory of Russian history class is not good:(

Here goes wiki

8. IneZR

IneZR New Member

Yes, Anton is getting married this October! I found some beautiful photos of Anton and his fiancee in Russian OK magazine (scroll down to see the rest of the photos):
    http://www.ok-magazine.ru/exclusive/item23471.php

There is also a small interview with Anton and the bride-to-be (her name is Jana), which is basically about how they met, how Anton proposed to her, about their future wedding etc.

9. escaflowne9282

What a beautiful looking couple! Congrats to them.

10. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

oh Anton.....<3<3<3 the most handsome pair skater ever...

11. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Duma is the name for the Russian parliament.

12. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

When athletes go into the Duma, is the work they do limited to things like sports development, or, do they work on other issues, such as foreign policy or the economy?

13. Octoberopals

Octoberopals New Member

Congratulations!!!! She is really beautiful. I must confess, it threw me to see him with a brunette instead of a blond.

14. Vash01

Thanks for the pics, though it breaks my heart :lol: to see my favorite skater getting married :lol:

Congrats and best wishes to them.

15. IneZR

IneZR New Member

You are welcome. Yes, it's a bit sad to realize that Anton is getting married. I used to think that he and Elena B. were such a perfect match and dreamed of them getting married some day. :swoon: But Elena is now happy with Steven and Anton seems to be really in love with his girl. I wish all the best to them!

16. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Congratulations Anton! Beautiful pictures of the engaged couple, thanks for the link!

I had always hoped he and Elena would marry but that was not to be. I loved watching them skate especially at the 2002 Olympics.

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yes me too :lol: But I'm happy that both of them seem to have love in life and have good careers.

Anybody have links to the Chaplin show they skated with Elena? I would love to see a youtube of this!

18. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Why "obviously"? Please help refresh my memory...tia. :)

19. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

For most the job is limited to wearing pretty accessories and voting with the party line. Sikharulidze seems to be one of the very few to actually do anything.

20. Vash01

Elena was skating in some silly shows (can't remember the names) with unknown skaters who were not high level skaters. Also her having two kids and living in another country would make it difficult for them to skate together. I am surprised that they skated together recently in Yagudin's show.

21. Nan

Nan Just me

Elena participated in several of the "Skating with Celebrities" shows, but Anton did a few of those, too. I was pretty sure Elena spends a great deal of time in Russia, but I might be wrong.

Elena and Anton in City Lights last fall (fan videos):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1VT1J8p8BM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=S3mLnIB2PMs

22. Vash01

Thanks for the links, Nan, but in these they are just a shadow of their past- nowhere close to the gorgeous pair they once were. I hate that outfit on Elena, and I am really tired of their Chaplin programs. I prefer watching their old tapes to enjoy the beautiful skating in the past.

23. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Congrats to Anton and his future wife!! :) That is great news! She is gorgeous!

24. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

I'm happy for Anton, it's just weird seeing him with someone else other than Elena. Jana is far from what I pictured him with.

25. crystalice

crystalice Banned Member

Google translator doesn't work well. Does anybody know anything about his future wife? Is she a skater too? Just curious.

26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Aren't they always?

27. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

http://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2011/08/kz_3726533.shtml

Olympic champion in figure skating and one of Moscow's most eligible bachelors Anton Sikharulidze is now off the market. He secretly married Yana Lebedeva, daughter of the famous billionaire Leonid Lebedev.

Sikharulidze's 24-year-old fiancee is the daughter of oil and energy companies group "Synthesis" shareholder, a member of the Federation Council of Russia. In addition, Leonid Lebedev together with the director Valery Todorovsky created the production company "Krasnaya Strela", which, among others, produced the movie "Stilyagi (Hipsters)".

Originally the wedding date was set in early autumn, but the lovers wouldn't wait. They married in a low-key ceremony. The bride wore a dress that cost € 70,000. She's friends with Roman Abramovich's fiancee Daria Zhukova.

Yana's father is ranked 53rd on Forbes list with $ 2.2 billion.

28. escaflowne9282

a &#8364; 70,000 dress is low key?? Congratulations to them.

29. Vash01

My thoughts exactly. It's just weird to see him with someone other than Elena.

30. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

What an attractive couple. It seems like Russia is filled with attractive people. I'm envious.