What have you owned the longest?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by gkelly, Aug 20, 2013.

1. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I was going to title this thread "Your oldest possessions" but that might be confusing because I'm not referring to the age of the items (e.g., antiques or heirlooms) but the amount of your life you have owned them.

I have a stuffed elephant named Fenwick that my father gave me when I was too young to form memories of receiving it -- probably before age 1. I do remember how he lost one of his eyes 6 or 7 years later though.

I also have a sleeping bag that was purchased for a Girl Scout camping trip when I was 9. It's green outside and the flannel lining was cream-colored flannel with pictures of deer. However a couple days before the camping trip we had it spread out on my bed and our cat decided that was a good place to go into labor, so it had to be laundered and the nice cream-colored lining became dingy green before I ever slept in it.

These days I'm more likely now to use it as a padding to sit on, like a blanket or cushion. It would be a tight fit to get inside. But I had been keeping it in my car trunk in case of cold-weather emergencies.

I used to have a plain green sweatshirt that I bought in 8th grade and continued to wear well into adulthood. Eventually it got too tight and there was a rip between the sleeve and the wrist cuff, so I got rid of it at some point, but it amused me in my 30s to be wearing something I'd had since I was barely a teenager.

2. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I have a stuffed bear called Wubby from the age of 3 or 4 who is now a chew toy for my dog Beau.

My mom still has a bear ("Sammy") that was given to her the day I was born....it sits alongside a bunch of other junk on top of her mantle. What she doesn't realize however is that as a child I destroyed the real Sammy during a game of "Mad Scientist" and cleverly replaced him with a similar bear so that she wouldn't be upset...

Aside from that, multiple plastic dinosaurs (most of them are damaged...mad scientist..) and various "micro-machine" type cars.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I got myself several pairs of expensive dress shoes about 25 years ago when I first started working and stil have them in the closet. I so rarely use them that they are all still in great condition but all of the cheap shoes I bought since never lasted very long. :p

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Gopher. He has no hands or feet, and has lost most of his fur, but he's still here. :lol: Friends of my parents gave him to me for my first birthday, so he's over 47 years old.

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I have a folder for letters and papers that I must have received some time between the age of six and eight, and I have stuff from when I lived in the US in it - basically it's a time capsule ;) I just opened it for the first time in ages, and found my middle school student ID, let's not discuss what my hair looked like back then :yikes:. Then there's the Mickey Mouse beach towel that my aunt gave me for my 10th birthday (or 11th, but definitely no later than that). It's faded, but I like it anyway.

My Care Bear, which I got when I was seven, resides at my parents' house.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This isn't my oldest but my grandmother gave me an Old Navy sweater when I was a senior in high school that I still wear! I can't believe how well it has held up over 10 yrs later.

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Oh, that reminds me, I also still have and use a bath towel with my name embroidered on it, which my aunt gave me (and similar ones for my sisters) when I was in middle school.

8. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I save everything so it's hard to figure out what's the oldest. :) Plus my parents saved everything so there's stuff older than me still in the house.

I think my oldest possession is probably Jonathan, the baby doll my aunt gave my mother for me at my birth. He's up in the attic, though and I haven't looked at him in years. The oldest item that I actually see is Sandy, my Cinnamon Bear that was given to me in my cradle by another aunt. He has a music box in his tummy that played "Rock-a-Bye Baby" but it stopped working about twenty years ago. A lot of his fuzz is worn off and he's pretty fragile but he'sstill close to my heart.

Clothingwise, I still have Halloween costumes from my grade school years packed away. The witch outfit I wore in 2nd grade gets hauled out every year and used as a porch decoration.

When I was cleaning out the basement, I found a box of greeting cards that were sent to my mother on the occassion of my birth. I expect they'll be antiques soon. :)

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I have some decent looking clothes that are older than that, including a surprisingly-still-cute skirt. I can fit into a lot of old clothes; whether this would be a good idea fashion-wise is another matter :lol:

I just realized that one of the things in my little time capsule is a program from an ice show that Paul Wylie autographed. Ha - even my old stuff is skating-related!

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

My teddy bear that I got on my first birthday. I don't recall exactly why my mother made him this snazzy yellow and red dress, but he's had that for almost 40 years. :lol: He's come with me on my many moves around the country, usually in a special box on the front seat. I have a Raggedy Ann and Andy from my childhood as well, but Teddy was my first and always my fave.

FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I have a baby blanket and a little dress. I am wearing the dress and sitting on the blanket in my first formal photo, which I think was when I was about six months old. I can't remember exactly when my mum gave them to me, but they've been around me for a *very* long time.
    I also have a knitted toy rabbit that I remember being given on the back porch of the apartment where we lived, while my brother was still in a pram. So I have had the rabbit since I was not quite three years old (my brother is two and a half years younger than me). The funny thing is, I don't remember who gave it to me, even though I can remember it being handed to me and being all excited. I think it was a lady who lived in the same apartment building, and she made it as well.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

delete, double post

13. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

My parents use to have us paint a glass x-mas ball for the tree every year when we were kids....I still have them. My first one was painted in 1965 when i was 3 years old.

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I have a plaid, pleated skirt that was part of a set that my grandmother bought when I was about three. I lost the sweater somewhere, and my grandmother would end every "You always lose everything" rant with "like you lost that beautiful sweater when you were three."

15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

When I saw the title of this thread, the first thought that came to my mind was 'home' but that's for only 19 years. After reading the OP I started thinking about what I owned as a child (or since birth). It will take some time to figure that out.

16. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

A stuffed alligator that a great-aunt gave me when I was 4.

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Right now, really, they still fit you? (I thought as I read this far in the sentence)

Oh, OK then.

:)

18. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

This question really got me to think! My silver baby cup. As for possessions that I purchased, that would be clothing that I have had for a few decades :) My friend's daughter was checking out my closet and pointed to a pair of brocade slacks and said: "Oooooo, I like these! They're so cool!" Brocade slacks are "in" again. Imagine that?! :lol:

O-

19. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

A few things...

I have my grown up dresser, my mom bought for me when I was in 2nd grade. It is my dresser in my bedroom.
    Nancy Drew books, one was my moms she got in 1941 - and she wrote her name it - love that, some my older sister got in the early 1960s.
    Baby picture of my dad in a beautiful frame - always been in this frame, can see in the background in a picture from the early 1930s.

20. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

An orange stuffed dog. My mom bought him in the hospital gift shop the day she found out she was pregnant with me, he's in most of my baby pictures, has travelled the world with me and now has a spot on my nightstand.

21. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

My dresser my mom got me when I was 15, first time I got furniture that wasn't heavy, old stuff. It was in the 1970's "camp style" and so it was cool. Now it's 42 years old.

It has served both my stepdaughters, my stepson and my daughter. It's been repainted six times, at the moment it's purple. Since my daughter didn't take it with her when she moved I said I was going to give it away; and my daughter said, but mom, it's our heirloom!

:rofl:

22. duane

duane New Member

Toys and stuffed animals lasting in my house growing up??

What I've owned for the longest are my 79 high school ring and 1980 fraternity membership gold pin. I also still have one of my fraternity paddles.

23. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

A now furrless, tailless, stuffed cat named Meow I received on my 3rd birthday. I have a vivid memory, maybe my earliest, of my granddad coming up behind me and nuzzling me with Meow. I remember squealing when he did that. Meow will eventually be cremated or buried with me. ;)

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I was class of 1979, too!

25. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I had a stuffed lion named Elsa (of course) from the day I was born; she was tragically lost in a hotel during a vacation about 10 years ago. I do still have a stuffed alligator, that was signed by most of my father's side of the family, that is from when I was about 4 or 5, so over 40 years ago.

26. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I have a quilt that my great-grandmother gave me when I was 6. It's made out of pieces of her old dresses and in one block there is a message that says These dresses always kept me warm, I hope they do the same for you love, Nana Grace. It's not only my oldest possession, but it's also my most treasured.

On a less sentimental note. A few weeks ago, I found some stuff from my elementary/middle school years. One item was a mixed tape my 5th grade boyfriend gave me. Our dates consisted of school dances and hanging out at the park across the street from my house. I gave the tape a listen and had to laugh at the fact that we considered "Water Runs Dry" and "On Bended Knee", both songs about a failing relationship, to be romantic songs. I guess that's why we didn't last :drama: The tape did, however, give me the urge to download some old Boyz II Men songs.

27. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I have my Holly Hobbie doll, a doll cradle, and a dress my grandmother crocheted for me.

28. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I have a clown doll that is probably at least 52 years old that my grandmother made. She made fabric yo-yos for the arms and legs and it has a pointed head with a face embroidered on it. I would stay with my grandparents over the Christmas holiday sometimes. The clown doll was in their spare bedroom, and I never wanted to admit that it scared me. There are so many killer clowns in movies, and I had a fear of clowns.

Twenty or so years ago, a friend and I went to Colorado for a ski trip. My grandparents had both died some years before. We spent our last evening at my aunt and uncle's home before flying home. When my aunt showed us to their guest bedroom, I saw the clown doll. My aunt asked me if I wanted it and handed it to me. I didn't want to tell her that clown dolls scared me so I said thanks and took it home. It sits on my dresser and now I appreciate the work my grandmother put into making it and it no longer seems like a creepy, scary clown.

29. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I have never been a dog lover, but I have my pink poodle pyjama bag named Doogles. Don't know where he came from but I've had him all my life. Do they still make pyjama bags? He lives on top of the armoir now. I still live in the house I moved to when I was nine, there is a ton of stuff still here, including the gypsy costume my grandmother made for my Mum for Hallowe'en. My sister and I both wore it. And last month I finally threw out my platform shoes I wore in grade nine and ten. They had rotted!

30. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I have a brown, black and white stripped blanket (the tiger blanket) that I have probably had since I was about 7-8. Well it was a family blanket but I always thought of it as mine. When I moved out of home I took it with me. So I have probably had it for 40 years. Funny thing is all the family members see it and still comment about it.