What happens to Virtue and Moir's reputation if they lose next year?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Apr 22, 2013.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Can someone who can rep please rep Vagabond? A lot? :rofl:

2. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i agree that's so saddening. i thought that with v/m and d/w at the top of icedance, both being north american teams, finally icedance would get more coverage and hoopla in the sports world! but noooooo! probably not having a dominant russian team at the top has something to do with it as well--no russian rival to crush hehehe

3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I don't think anybody, and definitely not me, was saying they should be have run to retirement or that they should not risk losing. I like the answers everyone has provided. It is clear that they would not become less beloved or cease to have been Olympic champions. I think perhaps Davis and White have the most on the on the line, but V&M have plenty too.

4. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Why, though? If V-M lose, they'll have their OGM, probably another OM and their, what, six World medals including 2 golds? That's quite a resume. I think they're safe. Even more if we consider their skills, which is what people will remember them for the most, in my opinion.

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

So true. It is probably an apt thing to say. If you look at the world champion American and the reigning Olympic champion battle in 2010 Olympics in mens they loved the angle of US vs Russia. Russia with all the lenin statues and everything being evil empire. So maybe if Virtue and Moir were a Russian team it might be a little different! Dance is popular. If one thing Brennan says right it is that dance is popular in the US. No doubt about that. So why can't such a successful American dance team in figure skating get any traction at all?!? Maybe because so much US coverage for years and years was that all the winners were undeserving and the whole thing was a joke!

6. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I have to respectfully disagree that all the past winners were undeserving. It was more like the American audiences somehow were through the anti-Russian commentary or by natural inclination hardwired to root mainly for Americans. I've seen skaters from other countries say as much. Even the commentary at times has tended to be biased against the Russians and certain European teams who weren't audience favorites. Of course there were exceptions such as Witt, Yagudin and Baiul when she first won but those are exceptions to the rule.

As far as being recognized in the media, I thought that up in Canada, V&M would have more opportunities if they wanted them but have chosen to concentrate on their skating. As for D&W; winning medals, even gold medals do not automatically result in mainstream media attention. gerbils, example of Kurt Browning and Michelle Kwan not having won the "big one" but still being popular and being recognized as one of the best in history could be used here as well.

7. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

To answer the question - absolutely nothing. The people who love them will love them, the people who hate them will hate them, etc.

For me, reputation has very little to do with medal count. Two of my absolute all time favorites - the Duchesnays and A/P - only won 1 world gold each. Yet I can still remember all their programs, see them clearly in my mind, and remember the excitement and emotion I felt when I watched them skate. For me it's programs rather than medals that makes dancers' reputations.

I was despairing of V/M until this year. With Carmen they have really ascended to that next level and are now FINALLY living up to their potential. This is HANDS DOWN the absolute BEST interpretation of Carmen I have ever seen and will definitely rank as one of my all-time favorite FDs. I am so glad they finally decided to get a real choreographer. Everything in this program belongs - it's an organic whole - it has a very definite POV - all the elements not only fit the program but add to the mood - this should get a 10 for interpretation. My only regret is that they didnt come to WTT - I was so looking forward to seeing this live.

This is the best thing they have ever done and Im so glad they are sticking with the choreographer for next year. And they've specifically said we shouldnt expect Mahler 2.0. They set the bar very high with Carmen, but I am expecting something equally good next year. Whatever medal they win, their reputation is secure.

8. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Great points, Tak!! I agree with you 100% re: the Duchesnays. One of my all time fave dance teams as well. It all boils down to what you put out there. I would like to think both Virtue/Moir and Davis/White (as well as everyone else for that matter) will be serving up A game realness next season. They know what's at stake.

9. t.mann

t.mann New Member

V&M's reputation will not be hurt.
    But V&M themselves' heart and fans' may be somewhat hurt.

10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

"You must spread some reputation around. . . " Props to Mary Bennet for being such a nitwit!

11. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Great post, Tak. :respec:

12. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

They will always be Olympic Champions. Any other medal they win is icing on the cake.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Done

14. Dyu

Dyu New Member

If everything goes forward in the right direction, they would win..

15. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:confused: I don't see V&M losing their reputation IF they fail to win the 2014 OGM. They already have an OGM and many other gold medals to boot. Most will probably agree that both V&M and D&W are currently the best dancers. It all depends on who will prevail when the time comes.

16. gordanlevitt

gordanlevitt New Member

I think even if D&W end up with a better career than V&M that V&M will always be remembered as the greater and more legendary dancers. I am not saying D&W dont deserve their wins (well there are 1 or 2 I might question but that is moot to my point) but V&M just have that extra quality that transcends points and medals, while D&W dont quite.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  17. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

V/M are Olympic champs, and always will be Olympic champs. A silver in Sochi won't change that. If anything, it'll make them even more impressive. How many Olympic dance champions have been capable of remaining in the top 2 internationally for four full years AFTER their OGM???

18. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Only Grishuk and Platov so far.

19. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I don't think a loss in 2014 would hurt Tessa and Scott's reputation at all. Winning in 2010 pretty much cemented the praise they'd earned before they even turned senior.

Regardless of what happens, they will go down as one of the best ice dance pairs in history, and the rivalry they have with Meryl and Charlie will probably be considered one of the best, if not the best rivalry in skating history. They and their training mates helped to legitimate and progress ice dance and to give it a glowing reputation among mainstream observers and even people who are figure skating fans but could not stand that discipline.

Whatever happens, a loss will not cause them any grief at all.

20. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

It gets regurgitated for years and years by FSUers.

21. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Along with other skaters in the same kind of positions - like Kurt Browning and Michelle Kwan - they will be considered among the all time greats no matter the outcome.

People will be able to watch their array of programs with awe and be astounded at Virtue's accomplishments with her leg challenges. In addition, they will continue to have their haters who don't do any of those things.

I hope if they don't win V and M too will be able to look back on their career with great satisfaction and know just what they have contributed to the sport and how much joy they have given their fans - by staying in another 4 years.

22. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

No matter the outcome, not winning gold will have no effect on their reputation. And I don't consider it losing. I give them major props for competing after 2010. When people speak of "tarnishing reputation" often it has to do with the said skater's reputation to begin with. To earn a second Olympic medal of any color..and I suspect that they will..is phenomenal.