What happens to Virtue and Moir's reputation if they lose next year?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Apr 22, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Very few Olympic champions are dethroned on their second try. At his third Olympics Boitano--who was a little bit injured and broken--failed to make it back to Gold. He had also been away from eligible competition for six years. Petrenko at his third Olympics-- the same games as Boitano in 1994-- failed to stay atop the podium. It was a disappointment, but since his contemporaries from prior games-- Browning and Boitano--also failed to medal, it seemed to soften the sting. None of the "old timers" did much better than the others.

Now if Virtue and Moir are overtaken in the 2014 Olympics by their closest 2010 Olympic rivals, Davis and White, the story is notably different. It's like a rematch being played, and both teams are considered--at least at this moment--to still be in their primes. What will it mean if Davis and White win? Will they sort of be the ultimate winners? Is this 2014 prize the biggest in a sense?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

No reputations will be injured. They are Likely to be a point or two apart while being 10 to 20 points above everyone else!! That's shows their talent almost as well as who wins! They are roughly even but 10 to 20 points above everyone else! That says it all. Just look at 2013 worlds. Every other team so far behind - not even close in any way. They make it seem like they are competing against people with no talent or whatever.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  3. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Nothing.

Title count and medal color do not determine a team's or skater's place in history. Michelle Kwan was never able to win the OGM, yet no one questions that she's one of the greatest ladies skaters ever. Kurt Browning never managed to win an Olympic medal of any color, yet he's considered one of the greatest men of all-time. Usova and Zhulin never won the OGM and only have one world title, but are considred to be one of the greatest ice dance teams of all-time. On the flipside, just to give one example, Sarah Hughes, Tara Lipinski, and Oksana Baiul all have OGM's, but it's hard to find anyone who thinks any of these three belong on a list of all-time great ladies.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

TIL - nothing will happen to V/M's reputation should they lose at any competition next season. They will still be known for their excellent body of work over the years (especially Carmen, I believe) and for being the youngest to win the OGM. They will always have the admiration of their fans and other people who know ice dancing.

Should D/W win everything next season, it means that they are 2014 OGMs.

5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

What happened with T-D reputation, when they won only third place in 1994?
    They will be OGM forever, like other OGM. There are no former Olympics champions. They still be youngest OM in ice dance and first from NA and Canada. Of couse they couldnt repeat G-P (but they already didnt repeat it, because they are only 2-times WCH).
    And if D-W will win OG they become Olympic champions too. First USA OGM in ice dance.

6. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

They will be remembered as OGMs (and the first to win the Olympics on their first try since the event was added in 1976), World Champions, Canadian champions, and legendary ice dancers. Their reputation will not be hurt a bit if they don't win another gold.

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I really doubt they would see it that way. :lol: I'm sure they would like to be able to say they've won twice, not to say "we were in the top two twice with some other team and beat everyone else by a lot of points."

It is an interesting question, TheIronLady. IMO, not winning doesn't seem to have hurt Petrenko, Boitano, Witt, or T&D's reputation at all. They had all retired, although Petrenko really only had a year off.

It does seem to have hurt V&V, and maybe M&D and Plushenko. That's a hard call because it might be quite specific to how much people loved G&G and how much they dislike Plushenko. But hey, that's why it takes balls to stay in/come back. I can respect that. I imagine a lot of opinions would be colored by how much the poster likes or dislikes V&M in general.

I guess this would be more of a V&V/G&G situation where there was no retirement, and they competed against each other for several years. The precedent for V&M is G&P, who won every event they entered after the OGM. Tough shoes to fill, and they're already a bit behind.

Another related issue seems to be skaters who won OGM and retired without a world title. Urmanov stuck around for several years while Kulik retires immediately. Kulik seems to have a great reputation while Urmanov's suffered. Is that fair?

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Lipinski and Baiul have worse reputations because they got their OGM's and fled the scene. At least V/M have stuck around.

9. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

They've won all the medals, now it is time for them to be daring and do iconic programs. I think their Carmen program was more memorable than their Olympic programs even if they didn't win Worlds. Playing it safe to win would be a mistake in my opinion.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I don't know that Plushenko's reputation suffered because he didn't win, but because he wasn't especially gracious at the medal ceremony, and even there, a lot of the annoyance/disrespect was aimed at his ubers for their temper tantrums, which VASTLY exceeded anything he did.

And I don't see how M&D's reputation suffered for going back, skating a routine a lot of people thought should win, and losing to a performance some people thought shouldn't have beaten them. DEFINITELY didn't hurt Dmitriev coming back with a new partner. (Although, if B&S hadn't fallen at literally the last minute, who knows...)

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I'm sure that didn't help :lol: but IMO, the writing was on the wall from the moment he announced his comeback. People were bashing him and chanting ABP (Anyone but Plush) well before those incidents.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I have always felt like M&D were in the shadow of G&G though, and am thinking specifically about OTT comments like they were truck drivers on the ice, kicking up more snow, etc. I think if they had retired in 1992 then people would've remembered them as more classically elegant; they suffered in comparison to G&G in some aspects in 1994, but as you said, they also got a lot of support, and their Rach program made them legandary.

12. icefan1005

icefan1005 New Member

imo It won't hurt their reputation. They already have a legacy of their own & a lot of people, including figure skating experts, will remember them as one of the best ice dance teams in history. A lot of their fellow ice dancers like I/K already look up to them.

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Whatever happens they have Mahler which is one of the all time greats if not the greatest (even over T/D) Olympic ice dance (imho.)

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

They will still remain the 2010 OGM winners & 2x world champions, and have their place in history. Losing the 1994 OGM did not erase M&D's 1992 OGM (nor the beauty of their LP Libestraum). I think V&M's Mahler will remain unforgettable.

15. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

This.

I'm not a fan of Plushy's skating (though i do like some of his work and think he is an amazing talent) but i actually thought his hopping up on the top step was kind of cute and funny. He was smiling and laughing as he did it. I don't think he meant to or did steal Evan's moment, but that's jmo.
    That Plushy was able to come back from injury after so much time away and almost win another OGM only added to his legacy for me.

And i do believe B&S would have won had it not been for that fall (and this is not to take anything away from K&D as they were a great team). That was so heartbreaking--falling on that lift at the end. I was gutted for them. Had K&D won silver that Olympics, I still think Artur would be remembered as one of the greatest ever.

Getting back to V&M, like Deb said, their body of work speaks for itself. I think they are the finest of their generation and belong right up there with K&P, T&D, U&Z, et. al. They are such a complete team--incredible dancers with exceptional skating skills.

16. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

They will forever be legends of ice dance, much like Torvill and Dean, in my opinion. I believe they'll be remembered more than Davis and White say 20 years from now, no matter what the results are next year.

Just my thoughts.

aka_gerbil and (deleted member) like this.
  17. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I wasn't seeing it from their point of view just my point of view. But either way losing to D/W after beating them in 2014 I don't think would have much a difference. Most people have said that they would still be gold medalists. With her compartment syndrome too that makes gold silver or gold gold impressive anyway.

For so many in the US press and TV Plushenko became a very bad skater. Someone who offered nothing but jumps and poorly done jumps and wasn't that good at all. So his reputation was hurt by competing and losing in 2010. I am obviously considering just the US and Canada view here and not the EUropean one or any other place but In north America Plushenko not by his behavior but skating was seen as no-talent. That wasn't the case in 2002 or 2006- or not as much. He's never really been considered that amazing in north America but 2010 was definitely "he's so horrible!"

18. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yeah, I think a lot of people disliked him in 2006, but begrudgingly accepted that he deserved his win... in 2010 the vibe was that he was awful, lucky to be on the podium at all, couldn't skate under the new system (and he won under that system in 2006!), so I think it hurt his reputation because people now had something where they could say "see, he does suck!" It's different for V&M I guess, judging from the reactions in this thread so far.

19. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Nothing. They are still the first North American Olympic Gold Medalists.

20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Yes and no. I think V&M are already established as a top 5 dance team of all time, and D&W are close to that now as well. Not wining in Sochi would not change that, they would just lose the chance to be part of a historic feat (only team along with G&P to win 2 Olympic Golds). The thing that is now at stake is who will be regarded as the best of their era though. If Davis & White win the OGM they would have a real case as best of their era, which would mean V&M possibly losing that title. Especialy if D&W followed that up by winning their 3rd Worlds, then it would be a slam dunk as far as achievements goes (some may still prefer V&M for other reasons). As it is now both have 2 World titles, and D&W 4 times to 0 for V&M. Even for those who dont think the GPF is that big a deal not having it on your resume atleast once is still a significant hole, especialy when your main rival has won it 4 times already. Not having the OGM is a much bigger hole but in the hypothetical above that would have changed. Of course there is always next year for that too.

21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The lack of the OGM are why Browning and Kwan are considered only one of the best ever, and not the best ever by most people. So the lack of OGM is a big deal even for them. Hughes and Baiul are some of the weakest examples of OGM, it doesnt mean the OGM isnt a big boost to other peoples careers (or even theirs for that matter, they just still arent good enough to be all time greats even with it as they are too weak otherwise and in overall abilities is all).

22. query5

query5 New Member

Nothing

Only theycan,hinder it by being jerks about it, if they lose.
    In other words handle the loss badly,
    Be unsportmanlike about it.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Quite a few are. Actually in the modern era very few have won back to back OGMs (Grishchuk-Platov and Katarina Witt did win; also G&G although they were not defending their OGM).

The 'dethroned on their second try' at the OGM:

M&D (92 champs, silver in 94)

V&V (84 champs, silver in 88)

Boitano (88 champ, no medal in 94 which was his second attempt at the OGM, although his 3rd Olympics)

Torville-Dean (84 champs, bronze in 94 which was also their second attempt at the OGM; in their case though the time gap was much wider than in Boitano's case)

24. query5

query5 New Member

I reiterate again nothing.
    Someone brought up the fans being sore winners\sore losers.

The same goes for D/W if they act like sore winner. It will hurt them just as much if V/M act like sore losers or vice versa.
    If V/M act like sore winners and D/W act like sore losers.

25. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

When he first came on the scene, Canadian pairs skater+commentator Barb Underhill called him the most naturally talented male skater since Kurt Browning, and she seemed genuinely excited about his prospects. I definitely think Plushy's programs are lacking in transitions, but I don't see how anyone could think he is horrible. It is not just his jumps and his consistency--his blades are solid. He has great basic technique that allows him to move across the ice with seemingly little effort.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Back on topic, V&M have received effusive praise from former ice dancers who are widely considered some of the sport's greats (Zhulin, Platov, Krylova, to name a few). Their admiration for V&M is based on specific qualities in their skating, and I cannot see the result of any competition changing that. JMO.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  26. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

Most dont even try for a reason. It is very hard to stay on top in a sport like figure skating. V&M as great as they are now are finding that out as D&W are surpassing them.

27. lola10

lola10 New Member

I do not think Davis and White are surpassing Virtue and Moir. Okay, they did not win against Davis/ White this season, but even a Russian journalist said in a recent interview that Virtue/ Moir did not lost their positions according to judges. But a lot of people thought that in 2011 as well and who won Worlds in 2012? They are considered as the best by many critics, coaches and current as well as past skaters, for some even by a mile. There might not have been an outcry in the media, but a lot of people in the figure skating world where confused about the FD results (Zhulin or Robins, for example).

No one, really no one, could have done this Carmen. The skills needed are extradionary, add Virtue's struggle throughout her career and that they are at the top since 2006. Nothing will change their legacy and impact they left on the skating world. They will always be the most versatile couple of our time who not only challenged themselves but everyone around them; they flirt with the rules every season. I cannot think of any other team who is doing this that successfully.

It is very dangerous to count a team like Virtue and Moir out, it happened in the past and those teams always came back stronger beating everyone else and Virtue and Moir might just do that!

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

And I forgot to mention--I don't think it will matter a lot either way. D&W are great, V&M are great, and they are the first completely dominant North American dance teams (hopefully not the last) and a great sports rivalry to boot, which is always memorable. The real shame is no matter what happens none of them will get the TV/media attention they deserve because even USFS sucks at promoting ice dance.

29. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Loss of Virtue is irretrievable; one false step involves her in endless ruin; her reputation is no less brittle than it is beautiful; and she cannot be too much guarded in her behaviour towards the undeserving of the other sex.

;)

30. lulu

lulu New Member

Great points. If V&M win the OGM again, it will certainly add to their legacy, but if they don't, it won't take away anything from their accomplishments, their skating or what they achieved throughout their career.