What does Richard Dornbush need to do to move into the top tier of men's skating?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, May 1, 2011.

1. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I just rewatched Richard's program. He has such effortless speed! With a quad, he will be contending for the podium for sure. His technique is so sound and he has a great presence on the ice!

2. jlai

jlai Title-less

My 2c: It actually took a few years in the jgp for Dornbush to break out of the pack . So I'd give him time before having more expectations for him than other talented US men.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Lovely skater. I am very impressed with him. Just give him time.

Although Jason Brown might be the one to challenge him. Need to give him 12 months to see what he can do.

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Ross Miner's skating as well, and I think Ross performed a bit more cleanly than Richard overall at Worlds, but both were lowballed in the marks, especially Ross.

I agree that Richard's speed and good technique on his jumps are great assets. His secret weapon is his wonderful long program to Sherlock Holmes -- great music and choreography, performed consistently all season. Hope there are more wonderful programs like this one to look forward to in coming seasons.

Unclear exactly what happened with Rippon, as he started off the season beautifully. Some have felt that he is experiencing physical growing pains (perhaps emotional growing pains as well).

The battle among the U.S. men will continue to fascinate, and that is why it is such a shame that the low-scoring at Worlds led to losing a third spot for next year. None of the men on the team should be blamed.

5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Agree with the majority here- Dornbush should continue on the same path. He could/ should work on impoving everything in a calculated fashion, but he has no glaring weak sides. Work on quad; work on posture; work more on SS; but his jumps are already strong, and SS- already good, nerves seem to be OK, he has spark, and he is faaaaaast!
    Interesting that Pretty Vegas said Richard was even faster during Worlds- because during Nationals I was so impressed with his speed- great ice coverage.
    I hope for interesting programs from him, and best of luck!
    ... but I am getting almost depressed thinking of how many excellent skaters will be fighting for 2 World spots ( at least there are 3 for 4CC).

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I was a little shocked that the British Eurosport announcers said the US Men "failed rather dismally." They made this comment during the ladies event. Our National Champion, well, he finished as the 3rd us man. But that wasn't a huge shock. I'd was just really surprised to hear anyone describe Miner and Dornbush as "failing dismally." I thought they did pretty good for their first worlds!

7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Media drama. That's all. Superficially comparing results over the past couple of years [Evan's Gold in Vancouver, etc.] with what happened in Moscow and generally linking it to the US men as a whole. Dornbush had some tiny errors, but Miner was squeaky clean, although I think his opening CiSt was downgraded to level 1? But not a failure at all IMO

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

His jumping technique is not that good. It's forced many times, ala Vaughn Chipeur. Dornbush will have to be carefull with his shoulders while jumping. ;)

9. olympic

Forced? Not that Good? To each his own I guess, but I don't see that at all. His jumps are waayy more controlled than Vaughn's ever were, besides being more connected to what he's doing on the ice and more musical.

RE the shoulders - I'm not sure it's hunching, or his 3-piece costume in the LP on a 5'8" frame that made him look that way. But if so, it might be THE one thing he needs to improve, and that may come with maturity.

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ ITA, olympic -- hunching effect could also be more part of the character he was portraying in the lp. Sure, Richard still has lots of areas for improvement (including posture and stretch). I hope he steadily improves and continues to find interesting music and choreography.

11. briancoogaert

About the jumps, this is because of the slo-motion in the LP at Worlds. I've noticed a big move of his shoulders before the 3Flip and the 2A/3T. But it's in slo-mo !
    That's not a problem, but I'm afraid because while growing, it gets rarely better.
    Anyway, I like him. I've been impressed by him at Nationals. I think he is interesting to watch and to follow. ;)

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

He needs more complex and mature choreography. Both of his programs were quite lackluster this season.

He is very expressive and can really sell his programs so it's just a case of giving him better material to work with.

And obviously, he needs a quad or two.

13. olympic

Richard will be 20 in a couple of months, so I'm pretty sure he's done growing, and that was a 3x-3t, not a 2x-3t :D

Also, in order to check rotations during the years of Evan Lysacek, I got used to watching the legs and feet of American men while jumping, not the shoulders, so I wasn't paying attention to Richard's shoulders :D

14. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

His coach is just amazing. Shame that Zhang left her, as she's obviously a great tech coach. Richard's program for this season was great (love the expression in the beginning), now he just needs a little more maturity, his sp was ok this year but needed more stretch and fluid movement. He's definitely on his way, one of my favorites.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  15. babyskate

babyskate New Member

I cannot agree more. All three of them have natural charisma that can't be taught. Let Jason get his triple axel and he will be a force to be reckoned with.

16. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I think he needs a quad and some improvement in his general skating. For next season I hope that he will choose good skating music to interpret and forget about playing a character.

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Jason Brown will be one to watch too. His LP at Nationals even without the triple axel was spectacular. He already has a great presence on the ice and just needs to keep improving.

18. briancoogaert

My bad for the combo.
    But as a male, I can tell you that body changes a lot after 20 years old !
    It's not growing in term of height. But muscles are bigger after 20, shoulders and chest are bigger too. ;)
    :D reminiscence of crs :D

19. olympic

Cool.

The body does get thicker as you mature, but is there a big difference between 20 and 25?

20. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

IDK, but I see a difference between 20 and 23 year old Charlie White. Scott Moir, not as much but there's a difference there, too.

21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the same is true of Brian Joubert and Tomas Verner, who look substantially broader/sturdier now than they did around the 2006 Olympics.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

All skaters should play some kind of character to give more depth to their expression (and well, to have any kind of expression in many cases ;P).