What does Richard Dornbush need to do to move into the top tier of men's skating?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, May 1, 2011.

1. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

About the jumps, this is because of the slo-motion in the LP at Worlds. I've noticed a big move of his shoulders before the 3Flip and the 2A/3T. But it's in slo-mo !
    That's not a problem, but I'm afraid because while growing, it gets rarely better.
    Anyway, I like him. I've been impressed by him at Nationals. I think he is interesting to watch and to follow. ;)
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

He needs more complex and mature choreography. Both of his programs were quite lackluster this season.

He is very expressive and can really sell his programs so it's just a case of giving him better material to work with.

And obviously, he needs a quad or two.
  3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Richard will be 20 in a couple of months, so I'm pretty sure he's done growing, and that was a 3x-3t, not a 2x-3t :D

Also, in order to check rotations during the years of Evan Lysacek, I got used to watching the legs and feet of American men while jumping, not the shoulders, so I wasn't paying attention to Richard's shoulders :D
  4. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

His coach is just amazing. Shame that Zhang left her, as she's obviously a great tech coach. Richard's program for this season was great (love the expression in the beginning), now he just needs a little more maturity, his sp was ok this year but needed more stretch and fluid movement. He's definitely on his way, one of my favorites.
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  5. babyskate

babyskate New Member

I cannot agree more. All three of them have natural charisma that can't be taught. Let Jason get his triple axel and he will be a force to be reckoned with.
  6. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I think he needs a quad and some improvement in his general skating. For next season I hope that he will choose good skating music to interpret and forget about playing a character.
  7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Jason Brown will be one to watch too. His LP at Nationals even without the triple axel was spectacular. He already has a great presence on the ice and just needs to keep improving.
  8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

My bad for the combo.
    But as a male, I can tell you that body changes a lot after 20 years old !
    It's not growing in term of height. But muscles are bigger after 20, shoulders and chest are bigger too. ;)
    :D reminiscence of crs :D
  9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Cool.

The body does get thicker as you mature, but is there a big difference between 20 and 25?
  10. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

IDK, but I see a difference between 20 and 23 year old Charlie White. Scott Moir, not as much but there's a difference there, too.
  11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the same is true of Brian Joubert and Tomas Verner, who look substantially broader/sturdier now than they did around the 2006 Olympics.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

All skaters should play some kind of character to give more depth to their expression (and well, to have any kind of expression in many cases ;P).