What does Jeremy need to do for a comeback?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jlai, Jan 30, 2011.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!

judgejudy, he produced the skate I posted at the National Championships/Olympic Qualifier, where there is arguably more pressure than at the Olympics themselves.

2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Based on Abbott's middling track record at Worlds, I get the USFSA choosing newbies Miner and Dornbush over him. Both delivered clean SP and FS performances.

That Rippon has blown the short in his last 3 appearances at Nationals, I can understand their frustration with him as well.

Will Adam and Jeremy make the podium at Four Continents. In order to make a case for themselves internationally next season, there is even more pressure to win in Chinese Taipei.

3. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Dornbush's SP wasn't clean. He stepped out of a jump and had some scratchy landings on the other jumps. He'll need a squeaky clean SP at Worlds. His FS was good, though.

4. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Chan and Takahashi skate their best very rarely. I'm not saying Abbott would have a good chance to beat them right now, but it's pretty normal to see inconsistency amongst the higher level men. I definitely don't think Abbott has to go into panic mode and chance a bunch of things up because of one rough Nationals skate... He just needs to keep plugging.

Miner turned his 3-3 into a 3-2, and Dornbush struggled a bit in the SP. I understand the criticisms of Abbott's track record, but to me they aren't so important when comparing him to someone like Miner, who's track record is not nearly as good.

5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

... except I don't think he is "going to waste". Abbott is very true to his vision, his programs are more innovative and experimental every year, and now he is starting to choreograph himself ( he did choreo for his EX at Nationals, and it was lovely). To me, at least, the path he takes is interesting, and more important than medals.
    That said, what he needs to do, when his hand touches the ice after a jump, is to say " screw it, I am going to fight for everything no matter what" and follow up... but easy to say, hard to do.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Chan doesnt even need to skate his best to beat the field right now (even his toughest opponents higher up than Abbott). I joked earlier this season in part because of Chantastic judging he had a multi fall cushion over the rest, but realistically in addition to the Chantastic judging he has a multi fall cushion over the rest now since he also simply gotten that great and that much better than the rest too.

And Takahashi I think has a pretty big mistake cushion over even a perfect Abbott as well, especialy as Jeremy doesnt seem to be getting much love from the judges even accounting for his mistakes anymore. Look at how their scores compared to NHK when Takahashi had more mistakes of the two.

7. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I think I agree with this. I think I meant he's been somewhat "off" the entire season, not just at Nationals. He hasn't been nearly the skater he was last season, and his scores show it. So- it really will be a comeback if he is able to get himself back to or surpass where he was last year.

I appreciate his vision and creativeness, but if he doesn't skate well enough to make the World Team, who will see it?

I'm also concerned about 4CC-because he doesn't seem prepared/ready to do well there-won't that just diminish his credibility even more?

8. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Maybe NHK is not the best competition to compare the scores of Takahashi and Abbott, LOL? Anyway, I like both skaters very much, but prefer Takahashi.

9. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Abbott seems to take the road less traveled and I love his introspective take on his skating and musical choices. They suit him, reflect him, and invite the viewer into his world. When done well, they are absolutely stunning. Jeremy may be having a bad year, but he is a skater I look forward to seeing whenever and wherever he performs.

Perhaps as dinakt says, the medals are not as important to him at this time in his life. There is so much more that Jeremy has to offer. I hope he has the opportunity to show it.

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

11. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I don't think Jeremy's season was a disaster. I think his programs established him as an exceptional skater and really set him apart. A year ago he was pretty anonymous. It would have been nice if the COP had rewarded him more, but those programs were HARD and I don't think he skated poorly overall.

As far as credentials, he has two national titles, and didn't he win a GP final previously? What he needed was some buzz and he has that now! I don't think he'll have any problem doing shows.

12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

We brought a friend to the men's freeskate, and as soon as he saw Jeremy he said, "Hey, isn't that the guy who bombed at the Olympics?" Not the kind of buzz that Jeremy needs. :(

13. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Woah did anyone else here see Ryan's tweet?

14. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

No -- what was it?

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

"I wish people would lay off @jeremyabbottpcf (not you, you're angels) tough sport and we cant be perfect. Hes one of the best weve ever had."

That was very nice of him to say. :)

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Yes -- saw that and thought that was very classy of Ryan.

17. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think people are very kind to Jeremy when compared to what they say about, errr, Rachael, Mirai, Lysacek, Johnny Weir, Alissa (in the past) and Caroline-some of whom are underaged.

Anyway, nice of Ryan to say that about a competitor.

18. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Yeah. I never knew they even talked!

19. Squibble

Squibble New Member

They used to train together under Tom Zakrajsek.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  20. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

That may be true, but Abbott needs to skate like that internationally and get a medal before he can think about beating the likes of Chan and Takahashi. I think the scores between him and top will narrow down if he consistently performs up to his potential. I'm not saying he'll beat a perfect Chan or Daisuke, but he needs to "prove" to the critics, fans, and judges that he's not just another headcase artist who can never deliver. Fairly or not, that seems to be his reputation now and judges will stop (if they ever did for Jeremy) giving him the benefit of doubt. I believe his Worlds SP would've scored a lot higher had he performed well in Vancouver, but since he messed up in Vancouver (like at Worlds 2008 and 2009), his clean SP scored lower than what he should have, again IMO.

21. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Right on, Ryan.

Either a commentator or an article mentioned that Jeremy had lost 30 training days to boot problems. Even if the problem is now resolved, that's 30 days of run-throughs that he is behind compared to normal seasons.

He's said he didn't want to peak at nationals, but having his season put back so far probably wasn't the plan. Of course he doesn't look fully trained, or have the stamina for the long program, given what he's apparently been dealing with.

It would be great if the two weeks till 4CC allow him to produce a more fully realized "La Vitae e Bella" in Taipei. I love the program and would enjoy seeing a complete and beautiful performance to end his season. Actually, I'd like a miracle so he can still go to worlds...

It's interesting to imagine the scathing posts if this site had been in operation in the days of Janet Lynn--a brilliant skater who often seemed to fall at the worst possible moment.

22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm :fragile: for Jeremy not making it Worlds this year, but I don't predict doom and gloom for him either. Hopefully, he'll have a good performance at 4CC's that he can be pleased with and then begin to build for next season. (I think he's planning to continue, right?)

I've been :huh: while reading this thread. Some posts come across as almost angry at Jeremy which really leaves me saying :huh:

23. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^Yup. Of course, as is standard for FSU, this thread is a bit "reactionary." I really think Jeremy's OK. He's had a below-par season, but with the injury and boot problems, it's perfectly understandable. I don't think he needs to use more "well known" music as a poster suggested earlier, becuase that isn't him, and by god we need more skaters like Abbott. All skaters have low times.

It's true, I don't think he's blessed with the natural temperament of a champion, but he's getting a tad better - I still think he looked nauseous before the LP at Nats though. I also agree with whomever said he needs to fight a bit more; I do feel he's somewhat a (nervous) perfectionist, and the minute things go a bit wrong, he doesn't know how to buckle down and reign it in (during a programme) That's all linked to the mentality of a competitor, which I don't think he's worked out. Just because he has the natural ability to possibly be a (world) champion, doesn't meean he will be, because there are so many attributes a champion needs - it's not what they just do physically, but what goes on in their head. If a skater hasn't got that, they won't win, no matter how great their basics are etc.

Still, give him some time to recover, get the right boots and maybe the quad back, and he could be fab next year. I also like that he's with Yuka and Jason. They seem like really positive coaches; and look what they've done with Alissa! I hope some of her success can rub off on him. I wish him the best.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  24. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Abbott's plan before Greensboro Nationals was to stay in the sport through 2012 at least, and this has also been confirmed by Sarah and Drew. I have to wonder though now that he is missing out on 2011 Worlds if he may change his mind and stick things out through 2013?

25. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Maybe not Worlds, but maybe he'll be sent to the World Team Trophy Event? Then we might see these programs fully realized. (after all, as alternate for Worlds, he'll stay training the programs)

26. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I've been thinking about the title of this thread and I think it should read as what Jeremy doesn't need to do.

Jeremy was awesome when he performed his program at Skate For The Heart. His program was mesmerizing, full of pizzazz and exciting.

It wasn't exciting when he performed the same program at Nationals. It looked as if he was more cautious or careful and didn't let go like he did at Skate For The Heart. I believe he felt pressure, held back and became tense because of the fact Nationals was a competition and not like Skate For The Heart where he could feel free to do what he loves to do ... which is skate.

27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Love Ryan's tweet -- he's always been a classy guy, respectful to and respected by his competitors.

Ultimately, Jeremy will be the one to decide what he needs to do, and I wish him well. He is definitely "one of the best we've ever had."

28. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

This is OT, but ...
    Guess you and others feel this way about Johnny's career, but that doesn't make it so. Johnny (as we all do in life and in our careers) made some decisions that didn't serve him well, but he also achieved great things, and thus his skill and talent have not gone to waste, no matter that others predicted/ wished it would. Did he have the talent to achieve more? Yes, absolutely ... but it is what it is, or should I say, When it comes to Johnny, it is what everybody else wants to make it. To me, the most tiresome thing is seeing people constantly trying to deny that Johnny is one of the best, and that he accomplished a lot. It may not be to your satisfaction, and you may not like what you think he's become, or what you feel he didn't live up to, but your thoughts* about Johnny mainly reveal who you are, not who he is. (*And mine too reveal more about who I am, than he is)

29. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

That was my point. About both skaters.

(It would be nice if Abbott was able to get a World medal at some point. Johnny got one before he moved on.)

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  30. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Johnny's problem was his skating peaked in 2004-2005. He didnt improve at all beyond that point for whatever reason. He showed amazing potential back then. He had a shot to medal at the 2006 Olympics due to the splatfest and blew it. After 2006 though even his best was no longer good enough against Takahashi, Lambiel, Lysacek, Oda, Chan, Joubert, Buttle, and others (even Abbott in 09-2010). Because he did not improve and most other top skaters kept improving the field passed him by.

Abbott missed out worse in the sense unlike Weir his best skating would have been good enough to win a medal or possibly win at the 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics. It seems he has missed his own window now though. Even his best skating would never be good enough against a half decent Chan at this point.