What does Christina Gao need to get to the next level?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I am not her fan (yet) but the potential is there because she delivers most of the time. She won a GP medal this year, so she is improving, and she seems to be consistent in her jumps. However, she needs something more to grab the attention of the USFSA and internationally, and that of FS fans.

What does Christina need now? I decided not to make this a poll, so more ideas can flow in.

A new choreographer to bring out her strengths?

Weight training to add more power to her jumps?

A new packaging, like Michelle did in 1996?

Medal at both GP events next season?

All of the above?

The last question is- does she really have it to make it on the world stage (like a podium finish in the next 2-3 years)?

2. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

-Make sure she gets the levels on her spins (and most of those spins need to be level 4, not 3).
    -Put back the 3F-3T into the SP along with the 3L. She needs to rival Gold in jump base value, and significantly beat Wagner.
    - In the LP, do both the 3F-3T and 2A-3T. I really think this is within her ability, she is one of those few talented jumpers that put a very nice easy/flowy 3T at the end of a combo.
    -Make more out of her long lines. She has a great body for some really elegant lines, but they're not always there.
    -Stay consistent. It takes a while, but judges will start to reward her for her consistency.

I think she already got her makeover with Miller/Johanssen, she looks fabulous relative to last year. Just a little more work on posture and shoulders. I was very sorry to see her 5th an Nats, I thought she should have been 3rd. But I think she is almost 'all there', and she seems to have great nerves too. I really think she'll challenge for a trip to Sochi.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    FSfan107 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

While her 2axel is improved, it's still not her best jump so I don't think a 2axel3toe is a good idea, but I do agree about the 3flip3toe in both the short and long.

I think her short program shows off her lyricism, but the long shows just how unexpressive she / her body is. She never shows much tension or passion and that's not an impressive tango. I also don't think she is connecting with the audience enough, and obviously it's very clear in the long.

4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Weight training to add more power and polish to her skating. Other than that I think she is on the right track. Probably finding some more innovative choreography to stand out among many other talented crops could be desired.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

She has improved a lot this year. She looks more in control and her skating seems more polished. However, she hasn't gone up much in the standings because her peers are improving too. It does look as though her body has changed, so maybe she is through with that awkward rapid growth phase and can improve her technical elements.

I agree with people who say her lack of charisma will keep her from being a top contender. When she stepped on ice at Skate America she had a big smile and looked poised and confident and it affected how I watched her skating. Unfortunately she doesn't always appear that way, but she does have moments when she lights up, which she didn't before, so it appears she is working on it.

6. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Ah, I forgot how bad her 2A is, you're totally right, no 2A-3T for her. It's a credit to her, though, that I forgot how just how bad her 2A used to be.:lol:

I also agree, her 'Karen Kwan' SP shows her off so well, the LP not so much. But I think this was a good year to do something that was choreographically a stretch for her, it might improve her in the long run.

7. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I think that all she really needed was this season. She placed very high this year and did well. It's up to her to get out of life and her amature skating career whatever she would like. Sometimes we forget how tough it is to do what these ladies do. If nailing perfect programs was easy, everyone would. This season was a confidence builder for her and I think in the long run will serve her well.

8. edonice

edonice New Member

She looks much stronger this year: physically, mentally, and artistically. The way she bounced back from her triple lutz fall at 4CCs was especially impressive, since it didn't deflate her program even though it was her biggest competition this season. Her growth has been steady, and she just has to keep steadily moving up.

Yes, bringing back the triple flip - triple toe will make her a technical contender.

Skating more deeply in her knees will give her more power, especially now that she's stronger.

And she seems increasingly confident in her artistry, as well, and is projecting much more up to the audience than before. She's a naturally quiet, subtle skater, and the more she can draw us into that experience, the more powerful her skating will be.

Also, maybe the best thing for her would be for the US Skating Federation to realize that skaters don't need to be flashy to be internationally recognized and rewarded.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here were Christina Gao's quotes to the media after her 4CC FS:
    ETA that Gao was quoted after her SP as saying to the media:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^That's a good mindset; take a look at what you do/have now and find something to work on with positive note. I can't wait to see how she'll fare next season when she'll fully invest herself in skating.

11. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I think she is already near the top and prefer her to many ranked above her. I'd want a little more power and a little more of a presence on the ice, maybe something more uniquely "her", but other than that i love her skating.

12. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Her lyrical strengths are undeniable. She has the makings of a Chen Lu. I think she needs time to find a character in performance that she can sustain. She tends to hold back or even break into "young teenage" Christina. I think if she takes a year off of school, she can make real progress in this.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Improve her basic skating, posture, lines, performance skills and skate programs which aren't SHIT.

So basically improve every single aspect of her crap PCS.

God knows how she managed to get 7s at 4CC, those judges were totally deranged.

14. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

They were not deranged. There are flashes of beauty and finesse in all her lines. Some things are just average or flawed, but the program is effective and looks sophisticated when compared to most in the world. I dislike her Ina Bauer so much. The scores were a perhaps a bit higher because of the distorting effect of so many skaters from developing programs.

sk8hrd likes this.
  15. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I enjoy Christina and she has real moments of beauty in her programs. But yes, she can improve her posture and line. Sometimes during the program, it seems like she's improved in that area, but often reverts back to a hunched over position as the program goes on and she gets more tired. However, I do think she has a natural musicality that will come through even more once she improves her posture. I really hope she eventually makes it to Worlds.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Her FS just kills me. Looooong entries into the jumps with her arms hanging down, totally ignoring the music. Absolutely nothing that would suggest she's actually skating to a tango. Just so so so generic. You could play any track over it. And she got higher PCS than Osmond for that...

SP is a little better but not that much.

She did improve a fair bit on her basics but there's still so much work for her to do.

Get outside choreography please. Tom Dickson could be good for her, I think.

17. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia! Christina seems very self aware of her weaknesses, and considering the improvements she's made from one season to the next, I have no doubt she'll improve on these aspects going into next season.

I think her coaches have put in a lot of work on Christina's posture, arm positions and overall presentation. She was all gangly arms and awkwardness last season and this season there is a marked improvement in these areas. There is obviously still a lot of room for improvement but she's getting there. :)

18. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I would send her to a choreographer who could give her new motivations for her programs. I think she has a harder time getting into the imaginative part of performing. At 4CC she looked tired and just happy to be there doing the elements. She can focus better on the feeling she wants to achieve and on the immediate moment.

Yes she may even be too smart and too aware. This is an advantage though for her in the preparation because she can refine and strengthen her posture and line by practicing the right discipline and mental awareness. In competition though, she needs to let go more.

19. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Personally I just think she needs to put additional serious effort into learning to arch her mid-upper back (Wagner is a great example of a stunning back). That's holding back her skating and makes her look very stiff. She has shown tremendous posture improvement already over the past couple seasons but she has a ways to go.

I believe that posture alone could help bring her PCS up 4-5 points total across both programs.

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

She needs to bend her knees more. She looks stiff. And she needs to improve her posture (shoulders) :)

21. arakwafan2006

There is only so much a skater can improve year to year guys. she definitely is not repackaging her old self year after year. Give her time...

22. arakwafan2006

Imaginative side of performing... That is my new catch phrase because it's so true.

I do think that some performers just wont do it. Watch clips of famous singers like Phyllis Hymen, or even Beyonce. They create something out of nothing and are very aware of the audiences reaction and they controlled the audience. It's rare. Plenty of good singers but performing is a total different thing

23. Vash01

IMO Christina needs to do what she feels comfortable with- in terms of the performance aspect. She can make some changes/improvements, but she cannot become a completely different person. A good example is how Sandra Bezic choreographed a perfect program (Napoleon in 1988) for Brian Boitano, who is an introverted skater. It focused on his strengths- the jumps, the gorgeous lines in his spread eagles, the power in his skating, without trying to force him to make an audience connection. I despise Sandra as a commentator, but as a singles choreographer she has done some really good work. I wonder if she could do something for Christina? Another choreographer that comes to mind is Lori Nichols- the way she transformed Michelle Kwan into a teeny bopper into a Queen (Kween).

24. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

She doesn't have big exciting jumps or wonderful spins, she isn't noticeably musical or really artistic, but she is a pleasant skater like so many others out there. I think she is probably peaking now.

25. Vash01

She is too young to be peaking right now. She can develop many skills in the years ahead.

26. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I believe Bezic does not do any choreography for competitive programs because of her NBC commentator gig. I think she's only available for exhibitions but I don't know of any recent work she has done besides Yuna's Rihanna program.

I think Tom Dickson would work wonders with Christina.

27. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

She is young but I get the feeling she is going to focus solely on her education after the Olympic season. I would be surprised if she continued competing.

28. jlai

jlai Title-less

I remember watching live a very young Gao years ago, competing in jr ladies against Agnes Z and some other girls at sectionals. She was the most consistent of the bunch, landin like 4 triples in the free while Agnes didn't make top four. Despite landing more triples she was only 3rd that competition. That seems to be her competitive history thus far-- skating fairly well but seldom well enough to win.

I like her skating and I hope that will change.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  29. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

She needs to go to a dance studio and take some classes to help her express herself with her movement so that we can see some excitement on the ice ... She also needs to work on her flexibility a bit more

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Dear NBC Sports:

Please read the two messages quoted above and take them to heart. There is a moral imperative here.

Yours truly,

Vagabond

:saint:

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.