What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Yazmeen, Mar 18, 2010.

1. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Well, I think it is nice that she made the acknowledgement but I did not see it as any type of praise. But it was probably hard for her either way.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I've been hearing from various reliable :sekret: that Caroline Zhang is skating primarily in Riverside, California these days. Tammy Gambill coaches there. (Please consider this unofficial hearsay info until it is confirmed publically.)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Isn't that where Amanda Dobbs trains? Maybe she's working with Meno and Sand?

4. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Amanda Dobbs used to train in Riverside, with Tammy Gambill. She trains with Meno and Sand in Aliso Viejo, CA.

5. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Recent FB wall post mentions Caroline is getting (at least) some ice time at Ice Town in Riverside...

6. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Nigel posted this report over at GoldenSkate.

"Zhang used Dickson for choreo in Colorado. Also worked with Kathy Casey on jump technique. "

I'm not sure who Miss Casey is.

7. Sylvia

Hint: Try Googling her name. ;) (she's not a chef)

8. Sylvia

OK, so according to :sekret:, apparently it's widely known in the SoCal skating community that Tammy Gambill is coaching Caroline Zhang now. Since I don't know if there will be a press release issued anytime in the near future, we may just have to wait for the Coach's line in Zhang's USFS/IceNetwork bio to be changed when it's updated for the 2010-11 season...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Interesting...thank you for this information! I really hope this works out for her, I've always been a fan. Can anyone kindly remind me of who Ms. Gambill currently coaches? I recall her training Ellie Kawamura, but I do not know of anyone else.

10. Sylvia

Gambill's current students include Richard Dornbush, Dennis Phan (not sure if he is still competing?), Lindsay Davis, Katarina Kulgeyko (new this season), and Philip Warren (2010 novice pewter medalist).

11. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

12. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Thanks. I didn't know Katarina left Faye.

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I thought she had been skating with Tammy for awhile now? I know she spends a large part of the summer in Russia training.

14. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Katarina left Faye 2 seasons ago after she won the Intermediate National title, I think. She was with Anna last year, and switched again to Tammy this year.

15. Sylvia

Head coach thing. Gambill also has a very good reputation for coaching young skaters in jumps.

Yes, Anna Baram was listed as Kulgeyko's coach at 2010 Nationals.

16. Sinclare

Sinclare New Member

I wish her luck. She is so talented, maybe the change will help her next season.

17. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

wow that's great news about Gambill. All her skaters are excellent and well put-together and I expect great things from this partnership.

18. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

ROFL :rofl:

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

20. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Thanks for the heads-up. :) There was some speculation last year that Caroline's mother would only accept a coach of Chinese descent. It's also interesting that her new coach ( if :sekret: sources are correct ) is of somewhat lower profile than her old one. That shows that she is willing to do what is necessary to improve. :cheer:

Besides, what do Mingzu Li, Frank Carroll, Brian Orser, Tatiana Tarasova, Rafael Arutunian and Nikolai Morozov all have in common? None of them ever coached a World champion...........

................ until they coached one. :D

21. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Might as well get this out there, because it going to be hitting everyone shortly. Miss Li has accepted a position working with the Chinese Skating Federation. This was announced to her students this week. She will be leaving shortly for long term stays in China, coming back to the US periodically. Her students have been placed with various coaches at East West.

While there has been lots of tears over her departure, the students are taking the news with strength and fortitude. Although coach/skater is a business relationship, each of her students have developed a true bond with her as well as great affection. She will be missed.

22. RD

RD Well-Known Member

AHA! SO that's it. Interesting. Thanks.

23. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Yes, thanks for the information. :40beers: There was some discussion a few months ago about whether Caroline would skate for the Chinese. I didn't think she would, but I never thought about Ms. Li.