What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Yazmeen, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

While long legs may contribute to speed on the ice, they also raise the skater's center of gravity, making it harder to maintain stability and balance on the ice. This is why most of the best skaters are not very tall (Evan Lysacek is an exception).
    If Caroline were strong, she would get more speed with each push in her stroking and she would get more height on her jumps. Instead, she relies on the counter-twist of her torso before takeoff to help her spin faster in the air and complete the rotation. The more speed a skater has going into a jump, the more any flaw in technique will be magnified and the greater the chance of a fall, so this may be one reason she slows down before her jumps (especially the 2A).

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation. And now that you say that, I remember Scott Hamilton talking about center of gravity when Ryan landed 2 quads in his LP, something about him being 6 feet tall and that making it harder to control his center of gravity making landing the quads even more amazing. As for Caroline, the poor thing, she really has a lot of areas she needs to work on. Hopefully she can do it though.

3. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

If she gains some strength, the rest will fall into place.

The Grand Prix announcement is expected out today. It will be interesting to see what events she gets. :watch:

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Polymer Bob, you make it sound so easy when it's really not. Why is that?

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  5. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yes, curious minds would love to know. :watch:

6. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

She needs for everyone else in the competition to withdraw. :EVILLE:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Caroline, Caroline über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt
    Wenn es stets fehlt der gesunde Menschenverstand
    Übers stehen zusammen.
    Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
    Von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
    Caroline, Caroline über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt.

;)

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Well.

courtesy of google:

"Caroline, Caroline on everything
    Above everything in the world
    When it always lacks common sense
    Over the stand together.
    From the Maas to the Memel,
    From the Adige to the Belt,
    Caroline, Caroline on everything
    Above everything in the world."

9. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

No, it's not easy. But I think Caroline can do what needs to be done. Of course, this can only happen if she has recovered from her injuries.

We will see in a few months.

10. pinky166

Lets just hope she doesn't get more injuries. I'm surprised she doesn't have chronic tendonitis in her calf and a broken hip the way she mule kicks into her flips and lutzes and twists her body going into those triple loops :yikes:. And all that flexibility, it's gorgeous but I have to wonder how long her joints will last bending like that :(

11. Squibble

Squibble New Member

:yikes:

Caroline, Caroline over all,
    Over everything in the world,
    When, always, lacking common sense,
    Übers stand together,
    From the Maas to the Memel,
    From the Etsch to the Belt,
    Caroline, Caroline over all,
    Over everything in the world.

:shuffle:

12. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Well, the Grand Prix assignments are up. As expected, Caroline got 2 assignments. She got NHK in Japan and Skate America. She and Rachael are in the same events, so it's unlikely both of them will make the Final.

As usual, Miss TBA got lots of events.

13. pinky166

I sort of don't think Caroline will be a factor. I was really surprised Alissa and Fumie got 2 assignments though, and to Agnes doing GP, and Christina doing JGP (presumably). It's going to be interesting but I feel like we'll be seeing a lot of withdrawals.

14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I'm amazed by the fact that this thread is still alive ! :lol:

15. RD

RD Well-Known Member

:lol: thanks for the "improved" version.

16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Isn't that always the case?

17. pinky166

:lol: true. no sasha though! i guess she's finally accepted reality (fumie, sarah meier, gizmo should maybe take a hint from her)

18. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

She actually had tendonitis in her knee and some kind of back injury. That's why she didn't do her pearl spin at Nationals or 4CC. I think she said in an interview that her knee had recovered by 4CC, I'm not sure about the back.
    Anyway, I hope she recovered and has the whole summer to polish her programs.

19. pinky166

I hope so too. She has stiff competition at her GP events, looking at the rosters, I don't see her placing higher than 4th at either, and realistically it will likely be more 5th or 6th :yawn:

20. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

A conversation about Caroline's attitude towards skating popped up the other day, and if what I'm told is true (the source it came from is reliable so I feel pretty confident it is) her attitude is just as bad as ever and THAT would need to change before she progresses anywhere. From what it seems, everyone in the professional skating world is just sick of her and her tantrums. Being that I've seen a few myself, *if* they truly haven't improved then I can't be surprised people are over her. She's not a little 13 year old anymore, she needs to grow up if she wants people to help her.

Hopefully the source is wrong and she has indeed tamed, but if she hasn't, I highly doubt this season will be any more successful for her than her recent past.

21. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

22. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Now WHY doesn't that surprise me one bit? :duh: Still, (assuming the above is true) I can't believe bottoming out at Nationals isn't enough for her to see the light.

I get the weird impression most skaters at that level have a mind of their own, at least somewhat (correct me if I'm off, but I'd be surprised)

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

A general comment about the competitive skating world based on my observations over the years…

FWIW, there’s a LOT of rink-to-rink “chatter” (specifically, negative gossip) that goes on in the skating world and it’s usually motivated by jealousy/rivalry among skaters, parents, coaches, etc. Yes, there can be kernels of truth in some of the negative rumors/gossip/speculation that goes around about individual skaters, but sometimes there are hidden, or not-so-hidden, agendas at work as well. The skaters who can rise above all the “chatter” (or at least are able to deal with it and block it out so it doesn’t affect them negatively) and prove themselves in competition when it counts are usually the ones that have a better chance of long-term success in this sport.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me either...

Must be a tough thing to do if they really must deal with this stuff on a daily basis. It's one thing to stay away from the skating forums, but often times rumors get spread ON the forums based on what's supposedly said "in the field" so to speak.

25. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I dont see where she praised Mirai. All I saw was that she wrote she was 1st in the short program after worlds on her blog about the world championships.

26. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

"In the short program I was so happy the American ladies did well. Mirai Nagasu was in first place after a clean program."

I suppose somebody could take this a couple of different ways.

27. pinky166

I think just the fact that she isn't extremely jealous of Mirai is pretty impressive. I mean, those two girls have been each other's biggest competition until recently, when Mirai pulled way ahead, and they are still good friends through all of it. That can't be easy.

28. RD

RD Well-Known Member

What you say on a public blog is one thing.

What you say behind closed doors - another. ;)

Still, there was some on-camera evidence that the two were on friendly terms, at least, which is good.

29. pinky166

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEpXfugukE This is from Skate Canada last fall, their friendship seems to be pretty genuine. Granted, this was before Mirai had her "breakthrough", but she still did a lot better than Caroline at this competition and it's nice to see the two girls comfort one another.

30. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Ugh the off-season... Wish there are rink reports........................ :)