What do you wear for practice? :)

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by littlerain, Mar 9, 2014.

1. littlerain

littlerain New Member

I didn't see a recent thread about what you wear to practice, so I hope it is ok to start a new one.

I've just returned to skating so i've been wearing leggings (american apparel winter leggings), whatever shirt, and a light jacket. I just bought some danskin leggings (at walmart, what a deal haha). I feel like I have some skating skirts and stuff at my parents house that would still fit, and tights too.. Hmm.

Anyways, now I'm curious what all of you wear!

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I usually wear shorts over my leggings, or less often a skating skirt or skating dress, and a turtleneck top, with a sweater if it's cold.

Occasionally I'll wear jazz pants or heavy leggings without something else over my butt as long as the shirt is long enough to cover part of it. ;)

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yoga pants with tights underneath, a long-sleeved T-shirt (with a thermal long-sleeve shirt under it in winter) and a yoga jacket.

I have some pull-on skating skirts like this http://www.jerryskate.com/product/1481.aspx
    but I don't wear them that often.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I wear yoga pants, a long sleeved t-shirt, and a fleece workout jacket if I skate indoors. Outdoors, I wear a heck of a lot more.

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Leggings and t shirt.
    For winter I like under armour frosty tights. Summer I have over the heel from NY2sportswear. Cheaper than Chloe Noel.

I wear gloves and a fleece when needed.

6. GarrAarghHrumph

I don't wear leggings, because I'm not skinny enough for leggings. :lol: Yoga pants, they are my friends.

Oh, yes, you reminded me - I always wear gloves. Always. I hate cold hands.

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

There's a reason I wear shorts over my leggings. :shuffle:

8. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I feel I am not skinny enough for leggings also, but I'm too scared to jump in yoga pants...

If it is a free style session I'll wear tights, a skirt and a skivvy (turtle neck)... If its public, I skate with my fat legging legs in all their glory!

Oh, and leg warmers... always leg warmers.

9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I hate being cold and for the 7 am session that's held in an ice cube, I do two pairs of tights (one footed, one footless), leg warmers and fleece-lined pants or leggings. Wool gloves are a must for me, even in the summer since I always manage to fall awkwardly and would rather not do that on bare hands. I mostly wear boot cut pants because some of the flared yoga pants freak me out for jumps, too. One of my friends gave me her older pair of lulu pants and while I love them, I managed to catch my toe pick on the hem one time and haven't skated in them since.

Dresses and skirts are reserved for tests, shows or competitions in my case :shuffle:

10. GarrAarghHrumph

I'm short/wide enough that shorts over leggings simply call attention to things I'd rather hide. Best not.

11. treesprite

treesprite Member

Most of my fat is is the shape of a bulging lower belly, so my focus is on finding ways to hide it when in skating attire. Wide-bottomed shirts only help if I'm standing still, but once I start moving forward, the top clings to the shape for all to see and laugh about. My other issue is my obsession over panty lines - when it comes to that, I don't care how skinny or fat someone is, because panty lines ruin everything. I wear longer tops to hide any possible panty lines, but the tops have to also minimize the embarrassment of the bulge. If anyone has any ideas for how to hide the bulge and not have panty lines visible, please share them with me!

12. AndyWarhol

High waisted g-string?

13. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Yoga pants over skating tights, t-shirt and my light jacket in the winter.

Skating tights, skirt or dance shorts and a t-shirt or singlet top in the summer.

14. GarrAarghHrumph

Fleece skating jacket with princess seams. The fleece material is stiff enough that it won't blow in against the belly. The princess seams give shape to the waist, while hiding the belly under the natural flare out of the jacket at the hip. If the jacket is the right length, it will cover the belly - and the panty lines.

But in terms of panty lines, you can also play with different materials for your trousers. Thicker material, and less clingy in that area, can help hide panty lines. Darker colors can help as well - makes them less obvious.

There are also specific underwear styles designed to minimize panty lines. I think Haynes, for example, has some designed for that. They fit like normal undies, but they have flatter seams, so are less likely to show.

15. Skittl1321

I'm too fat for leggings in real life too- but they are the best for the ice. I've caught my blade on both track pants and yoga pants, and that really sucks.

My biggest problem is our rink is in a mall, so to leave, I have to walk through the mall and I worry people will think I picked this as an outfit. Which I would never do, except for skating. I'm actually less self conscious walking through the mall in a skating skirt + tights and a t-shirt over the top (after a competition, for instance) because I assume people will think that is supposed to be a costume!

16. littlerain

littlerain New Member

hadn't heard of ny2sportswear before! Will definitely check it out. I remember liking a Jerry's skirt when I was a teen, I think. I was looking at those underarmour frosty tights, not for skating but just bc it is SO COLD this year haha. Glad to hear people like them! and gloves, yes I always wear gloves!

17. treesprite

treesprite Member

That's exactly what I wear. And now that everyone knows my underwear brand....... :eek: They definitely seem to cause the least panty line issues.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look around.

18. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I've never been selfconscious about my panty lines. I don't get the big deal, to be brutally honest.

19. AndyWarhol

I feel the same way. I often get the tram to the rink, so I wear a skirt over my leggings for travelling.

20. Skittl1321

I wear the frosty tights under my work pants when it gets below 0. I have to walk about a mile to work, so they are a huge help! Our rink is warm though, and sometimes they are TOO warm.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

And there's the option of not wearing panties at all. If you're wearing tights with pants or leggings or a skirt on top, you don't really need panties, unless the skirt doesn’t have panties attached.

22. AndyWarhol

23. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

You beat me to that comment. Track pants, t-shirt and a light jacket in summer. Substitute long sleeved top in winter. I've never had an issue catching a blade in the track pants, but I don't jump and can't spin.
    My hands get chapped really easily, even in moderate cold, so gloves are essential.

24. littlerain

littlerain New Member

that sounds kind of amazing, given that i am generally colder than everyone else lol

25. AndyWarhol

I'm totally the opposite with the gloves, I can't skate with them on at all. My hands feel trapped or something.

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Nothing comes between me and my skates ;)

27. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

I wear a T-shirt, light cotton hoodie, and a fleece jacket, with either cotton workout/lounge pants (bootcut) or fleece workout/lounge pants (bootcut), depending on how cold it is. So far, I haven't gotten my blades caught in the bootcut pants, but I'm at a beginner level. I avoid yoga pants/leggings due to the aftorementioned panty line issue! I always wear knit gloves (little cheap ones, from Target/Walmart) for warmth and in case I fall. Currently I wear lightweight socks with my skates. Years ago, I used to wear just nylon knee-highs, but right now I like a little more cushioning with socks.

28. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I just found a great pair of cheap leggings from ModCloth (I need something to pad an order for free shipping and they were $14.) Stretchy with a soft lining to add a little warmth. So far, they work great for skating now I've hit the treadmill enough to subject the world to me in skintight pants again...

29. J-Ro

J-Ro Member

I think most people wear variations on the theme of black leggings/yoga pants. Simply, they work. I wear a leotard and tights with leggings or dance pants over that. If it's cold, in addition to my leotard and leggings combo, I wear a close-fitting cashmere turtleneck and stretchy gloves.

30. J-Ro

J-Ro Member

Yeah, I prefer to not have to skate with gloves. I "feel" the skating better without them. However, there are some rinks where the cold is so bone-chilling that I can't go without them for more than a few minutes.