What do you think should be done with Sandy Hook Elementary?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FSWer, Jan 15, 2013.

?

What should be done with Sandy Hook?...Servey says.....

1. It should be torn down it hold too many memories.

43.3%
  2. I think it would still be ok to send my kids back to school there

16.7%
  3. I think they should also renavate it if kids were to go back to class there.

36.7%
  4. other

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Ok everyone. They asked this in a News Story on TV. about the Sandy Hook shooting,so I thought I'd turn it into one of our threads. What do YOU think should be done with Sandy Hook?

2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

LOL,ok,thanks. I wasn't really sure if this should be here,because I added a Poll. Or in Off-the Beaten Track for just off topic. It's hard to know the 2.

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The Trash Can is still only for things that are directly related to figure skating. Off The Beaten Track is for things that are off-topic from figure skating, and plenty of threads in Off The Beaten Track have polls :) Any sub-forum can have a poll if you want it to, they're not all relegated to The Trash Can.

5. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Flood it with water so people can skate on it.

6. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

O-k. Thanks for your help. Because the destripption under the sub-forum (Polls and Crap), makes me think that it gos there,as long as there's a Poll. Can you please fix it for me? Thanks.

7. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

inappropriate..

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think they should not send kids back to the school until next year, but it makes no sense to destroy a perfectly good school building. If someone wants to pay for a new school, more power to them. I, as The Iron Lady, however, would never destroy a building that was serviceable. It is curious that these devastating shootings have occurred in other places, such as the Wisconsin Sikh temple, yet I don't believe anyone offered to build the people a new temple. The children who have been traumatized need therapy and community support. The school district should spend money on that. They do not need to be coddled endlessly, and of course the school building should be spiffed up and eventually reopened if it is in workable shape.

9. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

wait...whaaat???

10. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I think that like after the Amish school massacre-it should be torn down.

11. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

It was a subtle attempt to point out that this poll has absolutely nothing to do with skating and therefore does not belong anywhere under Strictly Skating.

The Admin needs to move this thread to Off the Beaten Track or Politically Incorrect or anywhere folks who only want to read about/talk about skating don't have to see it.

12. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Torn down.

13. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think it should all be evaluated based on the circumstances (cost of rebuilding, etc, and the opinions of the teachers there about going back next year or going back eventually in perhaps the next school year). It is really good to try to make a positive out of a negative, and I think it is wrong to assume that the location/building makes it impossible for the massacre's survivors to move forward and recover (or for children to feel safe there in the future; if the adults believe and know it is safer, then the children will feel safe). It really depends on how the community in general is coping, but again, I would hate to give these evil acts any more impact than they had to have. I don't think we can bring back our innocence for a while.

I hope that everyone joins together and input is collected from the teachers, the parents and the children. Oftentimes children are more resilient when parents stay strong for them.

I am most immediately worried about the grieving parents, and the members of the community who must be overwhelmingly grieving and at a loss how to deal with the trauma, anger, and sadness.