What do you eat for breakfast?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by IceAlisa, Mar 15, 2014.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Cute video with breakfasts from around the world: https://www.yahoo.com/food/this-look-at-what-the-world-eats-for-breakfast-is-79560875552.html

My typical breakfast is not on it: plain Fage Greek yogurt with sliced strawberries and blackberries, Irish breakfast tea with milk or coffee with milk. My favorite breakfast of all time is fresh baguette with sliced brie, sliced pears and a drizzle of honey but that's pure indulgence. :swoon:

What do you usually eat for breakfast?

halffull, Buzz, orientalplane and 3 others like this.
  2. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Two huge mugs of black tea with milk, one pink grapefruit and some sort of yogurt, often natural or 'plain'. Not very different from IceAlisa's breakfast, really. ;) I don't know anyone who eats the so-called UK breakfast, though you can get it in a B&B or hotel.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I alternate those two options:

Oats cooked in soy milk with a tablespoon of peanut butter added towards the end, with some goji berries sprinkled on top.

Protein shake made from: 6 tablespoons of hemp protein powder, 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, 1 tablespoon of flax seeds, 4 tablespoons of spelt meal, a few nuts, one small banana, some frozen berries and soy milk. Blended until smooth.

Nettle tea (or sometimes green tea) to drink.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yum. I love steel cut oatmeal. I add milk, honey and berries to it but it takes to much time to make every morning. I love Goji berries (they are part of Chinese medicine!) and snack on them sometimes. Fresh Goji berries are to die for but hard to find here in the US.

5. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Depends on my mood. Some days I eat oatmeal with lactose free milk, cinnamon and a little sugar. Some days I make scrambled eggs and cheese with turkey bacon and maybe toast. I haven't had this in a while but sometimes I make a strawberry and banana smoothie with Greek yogurt. I almost always have coffee with my breakfast. When I don't drink coffee, I usually drink some kind of tea.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Half a pb&j sandwich on multigrain or oat bran bread
    boiled or microwaved scrambled eggs
    bananas
    oatmeal or quinoa.

And always coffee.

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Black, no milk?

;)

I ate the classic British breakfast with bangers, eggs and beans when I was in London for the first time. It looked something like this. I found it so filling that I wasn't hungry until about 5 pm which gave me a lot of time to roam around London.

9. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

During the work week I eat greek yogurt with blueberries or blackberries and coffee. I am always in a rush so this is
    quick and easy for me. In the past strawberries were my favorite fruit but last summer I developed hives
    so I eliminated them from my diet. Weekends I will usually have soft boiled egg on toast, or shredded wheat cereal
    with banana, or Belgian waffles with Apricot preserves, yummy.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Has anyone tried shakshuka for breakfast? It looks like something I would love. I bet PRLady has as well as the Israeli contingent.

11. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Yes, that's it. It's nice to have occasionally. :) It is, as you say, extremely filling, so that if you get a really good one you don't need to eat again that day.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Steel cut oats with craisins and walnuts most workdays. I love eggs and have them two days a week, usually with Canadian bacon or turkey sausage and some whole grain toast.

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I adore Greek yogurt. Forgot to mention I sometimes have that as well - with honey or filberts (or both) or fruit. Once I even put jam in it just to try something different.

14. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Smoothie - general recipe:

1 apple
    1 small banana/half of regular
    juice of 2 (red) oranges or 1 grapefruit fruit
    one pear (if there is any to buy at my local open market)
    or
    small piece of pine apple/mango
    handful of frozen raspberries/blackberries/blueberries
    3 spoons of oats
    1 teaspoon of milled flax seeds

and as of lately - 1 tea spoon of grated ginger

When there is not enough of juice I add 1 ice cube.

15. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

1 glass OJ, for vitamin C
    1 iced coffee, to wake up
    1 large flavored seltzer

I'm never hungry when I get up and can't eat for several hours; my first meal is lunch.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

If I wake up early, I don't feel hungry either. I can eat starting about 9:30 am or even 10.

17. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

All I eat is cereal, milk, and ice tea.

18. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I love shakshuka! It was in my Vegetarian magazine once and it's been a go-to breakfast of mine ever since.

I actually eat a fairly wide variety of things for breakfast. All sorts of different oatmeals (the Oatmeal Artist is a friend of mine), homemade muffins of various sorts with eggs, cereal with cinnamon and eggs, poached eggs on toast with spinach and yogurt, yogurt in combination with various things... I love breakfast foods :) I almost never eat the "american" breakfast though.

19. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I eat whatever I feel like eating. Some days that's one egg over easy with toast. Some days it's cereal, with or without fruit. Every now and then I eat oatmeal, but not often. If I'm really hungry, I'll eat a sandwich. If I'm in hurry, I'll grab an apple or banana or sometimes a protein bar on my way out. I might stick my head in the fridge and see some leftovers that look good, so I'll have that. Occasionally I get up late and just wait until lunch.

I always have coffee. No exceptions. But I'm amazed at how many people eat essentially the same breakfast every day. Don't you get tired of it?

20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

My nutritionist says ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have breakfast. NEVER skip it.

21. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

corn flakes and orange juice

22. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

So, no authority here, but I think I read that grapefruit shouldn't be taken with some medications, something like they lose their effect?

23. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

It depends. My favorite is chocolate Babka. Sometimes, in a pinch, I'll have a Kashi granola bar - the one with the layer of chocolate and the coconut. But most often, I have dry cereal - Cinnamon Life or Maple Mini Wheats, although lately I've been enjoying Vanilla Chex.

And 1-2 mugs of tea with milk.

24. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

And I believe that. But one of the problems with being a chronic allergy sufferer is that you tend to wake up nauseated, sometimes more, sometimes less, and so there are times when you can't face food.

I'm sure other people have other reasons. But on days where I skip breakfast, it's because I'm just not able to even look at food for a couple of hours.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Sometimes I am just not hungry in the morning. I am not going to eat if I am not hungry. Although if I know I am likely to have a late lunch, I'll throw an apple in my handbag or choke down a protein shake. Hate those.

26. GarrAarghHrumph

On the one day a week when I wake up early to skate, I have two breakfasts - usually something light before skating, such as a 1/2 portion of dry cereal and some tea, and then something heavier when I get to work, like a samosa wrap from the supermarket, or even a Dunkin Donuts chocolate chip muffin, if I'm feeling indulgent; with a Diet Coke.

I tell people at work I'm a hobbit - I have second breakfast on days when I skate early.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

28. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

My nutritionist says the same, but adds ALWAYS eat some kind of protein at breakfast. I alternate between a boiled egg with whole wheat toast and oatmeal with nuts.

29. GarrAarghHrumph

Chocolate has protein, right? :)

30. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Lately either a plain bagel with whipped cream cheese (the non whipped is too rich for my taste buds) or peanut butter on toast. 1/2 glass of orange juice. Sometimes a banana or pear.

I really don't like breakfasts