What Do You Do Off-Ice?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Aug 29, 2010.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

What sorts of workouts and etc. do you do when you're not on-ice? What do you do to benefit your skating?

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Step aerobics, plyometrics, weight lifting, Pilates. I do all this at home, in my living room, no gym membership needed. :cool:

I'd say the weights and the plyometrics help my skating the most. Not that I've been skating very much lately. :shuffle:

3. Alexei'sgirl

Alexei'sgirl Member

I spend a lot of time at the gym. Cardio 4-5 times per week (elliptical, bike, treadmill, stairmaster), strength training 1-2 times per week, core work 2-3 times per week. I find that working on squats, lunges (walking, lateral and reverse) and the core and cardio have the greatest impact on my skating.

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Too much eating and sleeping and lazing around. . . :)

Seriously. I'm trying to incorporate some more regular weightlifting, cardio, and stretching, but I tend to be inconsistent about this, in spite of all the benefits of these activities. Stretching tends to be easier becuase I can just do it while I'm watching 1/2 hr of tv every day, whereas I have to plan more to go to the gym and lift weights. All three most definitely help my skating. I have also been told to "go to youtube and type in 'P90X abripper.'"

5. GarrAarghHrumph

I have a regular routine I do in front of the TV, too. It's a great time to stretch and for me, to do certain strengthening exercises for my ankles, back and abs. I mean, otherwise, I'd just be sitting on the couch and watching, so why not get down on the floor and stretch and watch?

6. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I heard from several people that horseback riding is a great off-ice exercise and I would also recommend it myself.
    Horse-back riding really works your core and your balance and your upper body posture.

Other than that I just started doing ballett and hope that it will help me and I also got a lot of tips from my last skate camp about off-ice jumps and exercises that I will try to incorporate when I go running.
    They are mostly plymetric exercises but more targeted for skating like jumping loops etc.

7. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I try to supplement skating with some type of off-ice cardio, like roller blading or cycling, depending on the weather and my mood. :D If the weather isn't cooperating, I drag myself to the gym and either take a spinning or step class, or hop on the elliptical, but seriously, the elliptical is definitely a last resort cause I kind of hate it. I would say I do this supplementary exercise 3 - 4 hours/week. I skate about from 5 hours/week.

I also try to lift weights three times/week, but that third time doesn't always happen.

8. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I'm a horseback rider that supplements with skating :p

they sports complements each other very well, in terms of balance and body awareness :)

9. GarrAarghHrumph

I ballroom dance twice per week... although sadly, it's so expensive that I may have to take a financial vacation from it for the fall. I'm trying to come up with new, cheap things to do.

10. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Basic yoga, Pilates, Fluidity , Leg Magic . All at home, once a week for each. Sometimes I do one of the old Firm videos if I have the energy.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

My turn!!!! Leg-Lifts,Push-Ups,Sit-Ups,Sit-Toe-Touches. You may read my Trainning Reports in Skatingforums under Rinkside.

12. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

At the moment, I'm hitting the gym twice a week - I can't really go more than that because the gym is at university (the idea of going to the gym between classes was good) and university is 30+km away and now the semester is out it means a special trip.

The trainer at the gym got all excited because he'd never had to come up with a plan for a figure skater before. :lol: He's got me doing tons of squats, lunges, crunches etc.

I stretch (or try to, I'm getting a bit bad at doing it) every night, splits and turnout-focused mainly. (I have horrible turnout and I am learning spreadeagles and Ina Bauers. Yeah. I think we can all see how badly that's going. I'm also about as flexible as a brick.)

I'd love to take ballet, but unfortunately with skating and rallying I can't justify the extra money for lessons and shoes.

13. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

TRX suspension training (I LOOOOOVE it) once a week in my fitness center (55 mintues) and 3-4 times a week at home (~30 minutes), working on more specific muscle group + flexibility (with and without the help of the TRX sangles) + cardio-training 45minutes on a bicycle 5times a week, at my fitness center. (my fitness center is in the building next to mine and is open 7 days a week, from 04.00 am until 00.00 so it's not such a big deal to find time to train !)

14. GarrAarghHrumph

I did end up having to drop ballroom dance. It's unbelievably expensive in my region. Really shockingly expensive, and god forbid you want to actually compete. I don't know how people do it. I though skating was pricey - it's nothing compared to ballroom.

So I've joined the Y. Twice per week, I do strength training. I also stretch daily. I'd like to fit in some off-ice aerobic stuff, but I only have two, 45-minute spaces available in my schedule each week right now, and that I'm using for strength training.

15. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Ouch.

My friend is a gymnast. I just got back home from dinner at her place which involved being taught about twenty new ways to inflict suffering on myself.:lol:

16. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I do nothing at the moment apart from skate once or twice a week because my motivation is really low due to a number of factors. I need to improve it. Will try to go out at lunchtime for a walk.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

I keep saying that I'll go out at lunchtime for a walk, but I usually work through it. Maybe we can be virtual walk-buddies. I'll promise to go out for a walk on Tuesday's lunch if you do. ;)

18. Aussie Willy

Hey babe you are on!!! I was going to try and go for a walk today (it is Monday here).

Maybe we need to set up the FSU Walking Challenge.

ETA - I went for a walk at lunchtime. Goal achieved.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  19. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I do cardio the gym and pilates. As well as stretching every day.

Its a hassle, but also necessary.

20. Aussie Willy

GarrAarghHrumph - I did my walk today. Have you done yours?

21. GarrAarghHrumph

I did. I had to do it in a mall, though, like an old person. :lol: But it's simply so hot out!