What do you do for relaxation?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You win the thread. :D

2. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I'd probably smoke if I knew where to get some. The last time I bought any, they still had nickel bags. Do they still exist, or is it like $20 now?:lol:

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I exercise, I read, I go for walks. But reading doesn't really relax me since I read page-turners. And the walks and exercise help, but I'm really not very good at relaxing. Doing mentally demanding work as a self-employed person and constantly having to meet dead-lines doesn't help, because if I relax, my brain shifts down to a lower gear and that's not always a good thing. Figure skating helps, as does a glass (or three) of wine.

I'm basically not very good at relaxing. The long walks are the best, and kayaking is excellent too. Figure skating is relaxing to a certain degree, also.

I'm completely resistant to meditation and have no desire to overcome my resistance. I sit enough as it is. I like to move. Kayaking is as close to meditation as I'm going to get.

4. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Is there a term for someone who is a little bit of both? I love my "downtime," being alone and going for solo bike rides for exercise, but.... OTOH, when I go out contra dancing I am often in a crowd of 100+ dancers, and I definitely get energized. When I go to the Lenox, MA dance every 3rd Saturday I'm back on the road to drive home at 11:30 PM, wide awake. Home by 1:00 AM but never in bed before 2:00 'cause I'm just so wide awake.

5. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I can't believe I forgot to list one of my faves: knitting!

6. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

"Downtime" being alone is awesome. I missed out on that luxury for a whole year when I was ill. I had to stay at a nursing facility to recuperate and there was hardly ever any privacy because of nurses, CNAs, physical therapists, etc. always checking on me. Of course, it was their job to do that. But the thought of having privacy hardly existed and the only place I found privacy was in the bathroom.

Privacy is so wonderful, and I've extremely enjoyed it since I've been home. It's definitely a pleasure to be able to walk around in my birthday suit whenever I get the notion to do so. ;) :lol:

7. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Bikram yoga or heated power yoga.

8. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts... gives me good ideas...

For me - I'm definitely an introvert but I also enjoy spending time with friends. I spend most of my time...
    Knitting
    working with photos -- scrapbooking and organizing my photos
    Watching favorite shows or movies
    reading
    listening to music
    cuddling with my dog
    going for a walk

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Drawing and painting (to add to my list)

10. Aimless

Aimless New Member

I started with jigsaw puzzles a little over a year ago. I had the basement finished in summer of 2011 and the room turned out just wonderful but it took me another six months before I could afford the large flat-screen television that the space called out for. During those six months I really wanted to be in the fabulous, attractive new room and use it well, so I decided to take advantage of the table, space, and good light to do jigsaws. I really enjoy them now, even with the nice television. put on a baseball game, or HGTV and puzzle away. And get a drink from my small but richly stocked bar....

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Listen to my favorite composers/musicians.
    Watch classic movies
    Read
    Knit

12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Funny that I started this thread. Today after work I went to the nearby Japanese Garden. It was only the second time I went there; first time it was during the lunch break, so not much chance to relax. Today I was able to really enjoy my walk in it, looking at Ikebana arrangements, watching the ducks in the pond, watching the small waterfall, drinking Japanese green tea, sitting on a bench, etc. Unfortunately they close at 4pm, so normally I can only go there during lunch, and that is not particularly relaxing. I won't forget though how relaxing it was to go there after work.