What do you consider Michelle Kwan's greatest LP performance ever?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jul 6, 2011.

?

What do you consider Michelle Kwan's Greatest LP performance ever?

Poll closed Oct 4, 2011.
  1. Lyra Angelica at US nationals (1998)

61 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Song of the Black Swan at Worlds (2001)

37 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. The Red Violin at Worlds (2000)

37 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Salome at Worlds (1996)

22 vote(s)
    17.5%
  5. Aranjuez at US Nationals (2003)

21 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Tosca at Worlds (2004)

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Scheherazadeh at US Nationals (2002)

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Other

9 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Another MK poll- I am bored and just want to talk about the good old days.

So here is the poll, and I know this is an unfair question, so you can pick TWO:

What do you consider Michelle Kwan's Greatest LP performance ever (TWO choices)? Notice, it's the performance, not the program.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I chose -

2001 Worlds SOTBS - She was in incredible shape, skated with an even higher-than-normal amount of sophistication, and executed perhaps her best ever 3t-3t. IMO, she should've pulled 5.9s for tech, but I realize the judges were holding a place for Slutskaya.

Other ['95 Skate America] Salome - This performance was her coming out performance. She executed everything in a highly sophisticated program that included a 3t-3t, 7 triples and 2 double axels [I think]. I also think she did an ina bauer into a 3loop.

3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

SOTBW - 2001 Worlds

4. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I voted 96 and 01 Worlds. Personally, I think Tosca 04 Nationals should be on there instead of Worlds.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

She was great at USN, skating to Tosca. The reason I picked worlds is that just before she took the ice there was a very distracting incident, with a fan getting on the ice. She put it away and delivered a great performance.

6. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

95 Worlds. It started it all.

7. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

The Red Violin had it all, 3-3, perfect classic layback, amazing step sequence ...

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

For me, it Song of the black Swan, her 2001 Worlds LP.
    It's not my favorite LP, but the performance was amazing. Everything so perfect. Her glide so light. And the passion. WOW

9. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

East of Eden -World Pros (if you consider both programs at WP long programs).

I love all the others - but this one is pure, iconic Michelle. Undaunted courage, indeed.

Didn't see the TWO option before voting, so, for the second - 98 Nationals, because of the pressure and uncertainty - I was sobbing in front of my TV by the time she finished because of how magnificently she skated.

10. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

By the way, it is the Kween's birthday today...

:cheer2: :cheer2: :glamor: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELLE!!! :glamor: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

98 Nats has been talked about to death but... I still think that performance is the most beautiful of all-time.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

2003 Nationals version of Aranjuez. It wasn't the most difficult program but she skated it with such joy and freedom.

A close second would be 1995 Worlds version of Rondo. Yes she was unrefined and her skating was not the best, but her musicality and projection was out of this world. The relief during the final spread eagle says it all.

13. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I voted for TRV and SOTBS, as they were both great performances and great programs. The problem with her skate, before the QR at Worlds in '01, also provided a foretaste of how she would handle Worlds in '04 (IMO).

Also, Happy Birthday to Michelle!

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Michelle!
    Your journey is only beginning.

15. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Aranjuez. To me, it solidified her joy in skating after losing a 2nd OGM. Even years later I vividly remember the smile on her face as she went into the spiral. The music was one of her most emotional selections.

16. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

"Lyra" at Nationals '98. After the stress fracture it was remarkable that she skated with such ease and seemed under no pressure at all.

I choose "Song of the Black Swan" in the qualifying round at '01 Worlds as my second choice. No 3/3, but they way she skated with her boot problems... astounding.

As an aside, I would put "Tosca" at Nationals on the list over "Tosca" at Worlds. The building was electric after that skate, even it it wasn't her most technically ambitious program.

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The two that always come to mind, for me, are 2004 Nationals LP and 2000 Worlds LP, Tosca and The Red Violin, respectively. In 2004 she absolutely nailed every jump. Not one single jump was even a millimeter off. It was like she took every perfect jump she did in practice and inserted them into the program. Skaters dream of doing all their jumps so cleanly. Her Red Violin at Worlds was just amazing. She skating holding nothing back. All out speed and attack! 1998 US Nationals LP is a very close runner up.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  18. floskate

floskate Vacant

She did do a 3/3 in the qualifying round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjRn9pjbOCc

Which makes that skate even more remarkable. :cheer:

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    One can only imagine the pressure during this QR performance.
    Her "demise" was already being predicted; and she had to come through.
    Bless her. she did - and how!

20. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    The LP was the same with more passion. That's impressive how well she skated at those 2001 Worlds.

22. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

My bad. :eek: I was there (it was my first Worlds, but I could have swore she did a 3t/2t instead of the 3/3 in qualifying... oops) and I couldn't believe how well she skated after all the angst going on with her boot issues.

:rollin: Still an amazing performance. Thanks for the link floskate. All hail the Kween. :encore:

23. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Voted for SOTBS 2001 Worlds, but it was very close with Lyra Angelica 1998 Nats.

24. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I would say other. For me, her greatest 2 "performances" were Aranjuez at worlds and Tosca at Nationals

25. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

I picked The Red Violin (2000 Worlds). Despite the lack of choreography compared to the program's debut, it was a powerful performance. It seemed that Michelle could not miss an element, she hit all her jumps with great speed.
    Also loved the Charlotte at the end. And I was so thrilled that she won overall, after being 3rd in the SP.

My second favorite LP performance of hers would be Tosca at Nationals. Again, the program did not have much choreography, but that last 3 lutz and the footwork section were just :eek:
    As Terry said: "The brilliance of Michelle Kwan, once again on display" :cool:

26. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I picked 2000 The Red Violin, she skated as if she were on fire. Second place goes to 1998 Lyra Angelica, the freedom and musicality is sublime.

27. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Tosca at 2004 Nationals should be there. For pure fire and passion and heart, it is among her best. Many would say it is her best.

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Glad to see others haven't forgotten Tosca from Nationals! It was amazing. The flip and final lutz were some of the best she ever did!

29. shady82

shady82 New Member

Without doubt, Lyra Angelica at the '98 Nationals. That program for me was the Kwan program that established a new gold standard for artistry. The complexity within the elegant simplicity, the zen sensitivity, and the joy and lightness lended to a program that was truly one-of-a-kind.

30. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

For me its a toss up between Salome, Scheherazade and SOTBS (guess I like the 'S' programs).

If I had to pick one I'd probably go with Salome.

I'll probably be kicked out of Klub Kwan for this, but Lyra Angelica and Red Violin are my least favorite Kwan long programs. :yikes: