What do you collect?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, Apr 24, 2013.

1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i donated a lot of books when i moved a few months ago. i thought it was a crazy amount of books. then the movers came and said they never moved so many books.

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

she just needs 1 special gnome that sends her postcards to brighten her day

i love gnomes, my collection has topped out at 1

3. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Since you put it that way, maybe I will expand my collection exponentially if it allows me to meet Dr. Tonya Hoarding. She's kind of awesome, her, tiptoeing around all the poo looking like $10,000.00 bucks with her luxurious hair and stylish clothing.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Fortunately I am a stay in place person, as between my books and rocks(which I have been collecting since I was 6, and I don't get rid of them), I have family members who swear they will no longer help if we move again!

5. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

my husband must have over ten thousand compact discs, vinyl records, 45 singles and cassettes in our house. He is on first name basis in every record store and no trip is complete without stopping at local music stores.

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  6. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

All kinds of Peanuts collectibles, snake things (hence my name, snoopysnake), fashion dolls especially vintage Tressy and Barbie, skating books, tons of other kinds of books, cat things.

7. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I collect penguins! I'm wearing Penguin PJs right now. My favorite is my Pandora Penguin charm, which my mom special ordered from the UK. It's not those horribly ugly pewter-looking ones. It's small and sparkly and has a little red heart--and feet! The feet are painted. I also have a "Merry Penguinmas" wind-up Christmas thingy I love. It winks.

My mom started collecting angels for me, but I find angels creepy, so that stopped when finally got brave at 10 and told her I didn't want anymore. EVER.

I don't have a mug collection per se, but when I go places I often get a coffee mug. Since I drink coffee, they're practical. I like some of the Starbucks ones, but not the huge ones that have the city landmarks on them--I prefer the ones that are more sedate with the green and grey palette, but those must not be as popular. I have a Paris, New York, and New Orleans one.

I have a fledgling Hello Kitty one, but I try to keep that under tight control. It's too easy to buy right now and it could get overwhelming, so I've asked friends/family to not buy it for me. Unless it's shoes. That's different. I always need Hello Kitty shoes.

My two real collecting loves are:
    Real music boxes. It is also the reason why I try to keep my collections under control and not let people know I want more, more, more. For some reason, people interpret music boxes as Disney Snow Globes. I do not want Snow Globes, Disney or otherwise. I want old school, wooden music boxes where you can see the gears. I had one that played "Lara's Theme" and I loved, loved, loved it. I prefer a simple design on a wooden box or the fairy-tale Palekh. That was before I knew the name for it even.

I know this is shocking, but nesting dolls, preferably with a fairy tale design or the family ones.

If I were ever really wealthy, I would LOVE to collect old maps. I would love, love, love to have an original map with "There Be Dragons" on it. :swoon: I love the look of old maps. Even though they were wrong, there was such meticulous care with detail and so beautiful from a graphic perspective. The science of cartography fascinates me; it's a true interdisciplinary social science.

8. quartz

I also collect bevel edged mirrors with etched designs; most of the ones I have are from the 40's and 50's. One whole wall of my living room is covered with them, and the rest I have scattered through the house. I think it helps visually expand my little house.

9. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

When my sister wants to be especially nice, she gives me a new book shelf. But books still spill out over most surfaces and on the floor. Thank heavens my entire collection of Agatha Christie is mostly paperback, so is Nevil Shute.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

My grandmother got me into Agatha Christie when I was a tween - she had them all at the family cottage. There's a series out now in hardback that reproduces the original jackets, with the original print of the text - including a few interesting things that were deleted or changed in later printings (ie a racist reference common at the time that was later deemed unacceptable). I got about 8 of them - my favourite titles that I like to read again and again. It's nice to have the originals, and they look better in a place of prominence in your library that ratty old paperbacks. Search "Agatha Christie facsimile" on Amazon.

11. Nan

Nan Just me

I'm not a serious collector of anything, but I do like to bring home magnets from places I visit. My mother started a small teacup collection for me when I was small and if something catches my eye, I'll add to that and I keep on the look-out for small decorated metal or china boxes. I am a sucker for Christmas coffee mugs. :shuffle:

12. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Clicking her heels together and saying "there's no place like gnome, there's no place like gnome"! :)

13. ElizabethAnne

ElizabethAnne Member

I collect Christmas ornaments. When I travel I hunt out the "year round" Christmas store or look in souvenier shops for local hand made ornaments or just unusual shapes that catch my fancy. I like small ornaments and sometimes make do (due to lack of selection at the time of year) with unusual items that can be an ornament. For example I bought some keychains in Argentina where the fob was a silver star connected to the key ring by braided leather. Hung by the key ring it looks pretty good.

I have sub-collections by type (angels, stars, snowmen) and colour (silver, blue, red+white+green). I store them in little boxes with the year and where I bought them. So every year when it comes time to decorate the tree it is a little trip down memory lane. Not everything is from travel. One of my favourites is a set of silver ornaments, each embossed with a design representing the 12 days of Christmas. They came in little red velveteen drawstring bags inside a little box. They are the first ones that go on my tree.

14. puglover

puglover Active Member

I collect fridge magnets and always buy one when I visit anywhere new. Now my friends bring me them back from their trips. I also have to admit to an embarrassing number of water bottles. Every time I see a new style or type - I just have to have one, even though I usually stick to my favourite few for drinking water.

15. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

And the hoarder, or members of the family, look like Tonya after about a two month drinking and sex taping binge...:p

We used to have lots of books, but we weed them out regularly now. (What doesn't get weeded out are the genealogical books...). But we still go to old book stores, library sales etc. I used to have a large record collection but I gradually disposed of it after my turntable broke.

The yearly library sale is next week. :cheer:

I have a few figure skating related items that I have randomly picked up over the years.

16. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I collect books (but I'm fast running out of room for more), small ornaments from around the world, seashells, and fossils.

We went to Hereford Cathedral the other day, where there is a late 13th century Mappa Mundi. It has Jerusalem at the centre, but other parts of it are surprisingly accurate. It's fascinating to see. :)

17. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot the Tacky British Ornament Collection (TM) :) ! The first year I went to London with friends, I had very space in my luggage left for momentos of the trip. So I bought a flat fabric ornament of The Tower of London. Then I found one of Big Ben....and Westmister Abbey.... and now it's become something of an obsession to find The Tacky Ornament of The Visit. I have a couple dozen of them now, hanging on hooks around the upper molding on my back sunroom. I'm actually having trouble finding them now as I've been to the major tourist places. But I usually manage to come up with something to make my hosts question my taste level. :)

18. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

I collect Edward Gorey ephemera too (Going to the Edward Gorey House one of these days - it's on my list!) Black bear carvings & paraphernalia. Vintage national parks & Sierra Club posters & postcards. Kent State articles. My collection for everyday use is cotton throws - I have all different scenes/subjects & some in every room of my home.

19. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

Books. They are everywhere in my house.
    Thimbles. I do a couple types of needlework, and this is a nice little collectible that takes up minimal space.
    Teacups & saucers. I like tea, and these make a nice travel souvenir that is still useful.

20. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I have a friend who collects cups and saucers. She's very particular though, they have to be very unusual or have belonged to someone she knew.

21. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I have one of York Minster. I hang it on the tree every year. Come to think of it, I also collect Christmas Ornaments from places I have traveled.

22. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Did you get Henry the 8th and all his wives? I bought those. Also postcards that were cutouts of the heads of the royal family.

23. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I have Henry VIII but I haven't done the Wives yet. I have both Elizabeth's (I and II) and the crown one from Will and Kate's wedding, but most of the ones I get are buildings - the Palaces, churches, castles. I try to get them in the "official" gift shops, rather than the tourist shops. And the sparklier, the better!

24. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Like the one Carrie had on Sex and the city? I had one when I was a kid that I hated, and now I wish I had kept it. Sigh.

25. quartz

I have no clue what Carrie's mirror looked like. I tried to watch that show when it was all the rage; I lasted about 10 minutes. :p

26. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

My parents would answer "Too much!!" :D

The obvious would be the Skating Collection. Then there's the Royalty Collection of various books, magazines, china and one gorgeous porcelain doll of Diana that I have never seen anywhere else thanks to friends of ours. Then there's the LOTR stuff including one full sized replica of Arwen's sword proudly on display on top of my dresser along w/a couple of mini versions of some of the weapons, but just as sharp. I was using the mini version of Aragorn's Ranger Sword to open up a box once and skewed myself w/it. Nothing major, but still an owwie!!! :eek:

And now I've been bitten by one of Dany's Dragons and have gotten hooked on Game of Thrones. At least there's no worries about me getting a full sized Dragon, but it would come in handy at times. ;) :D

27. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

How thoughtful of them! :)

28. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

29. cynthiabc

cynthiabc Member

I've enjoyed this thread. It is kind of reassuring that other people collect things too.

I collect foreign costume dolls. I had an uncle in the foreign service who used to bring me dolls from the countries where he was posted. Some dolls in the collection are as old as I am (66), but I add dolls when I, or anyone in my family, travels to a country. We bring back dolls when they are available. I have 270, displayed in glass fronted cabinets.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  30. duane

duane New Member

I collect Marilyn Monroe memorabilia (posters, books, DVDs, figurines), and shot glasses from all over the world.

And tho I don't really "collect" them, whenever I happen to come across old pennies (with 'ONE CENT' on the back, not the Lincoln Memorial), I keep them.