What do you collect?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, Apr 24, 2013.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

As a teen I collected Cabbage Patch Kids, now I collect the porcelain cabbage patch figurines. I also collect original Beatles memorabilia

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Cats. :p

I used to really enjoy rummaging through music stores looking for obscure albums and CDs, but the internet has all but killed that. :wuzrobbed

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Really? Because there are still a lot of great music stores out there - I've spent many an hour in dodgy neighbourhoods when we travel as my husband hunts down music, and for that matter, he often spends a few happy hours cruising sites like CD Universe and CD Japan for rare finds. I'm on a first name basis with the local UPS and FedEx delivery guys :lol:

(PS Husband's collection? You guessed it - records and CDs in the thousands!)

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

According to my sister-in-law, (who makes random stuff up about people, decides it is true and can then never be dissuaded) I collect porcelain figurines of champion figure skaters. I have never seen such a thing. Anyone here seen such a thing? When my husband pointed out to her that there is no such thing anywhere in our house, she asked him where I store them. She also thinks he collects bacon related merchandise and keeps buying it for him. It is all stashed in his closet.

I do collect baseball related things. And husband collects beer cans and old signs and merchandise related to that and toy tractors.

5. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

My husband and I still have all our old classic/prog rock on vinyl. My son who is turning 22 soon, has transferred a good portion of them into a digital format. He occasionally still comes out with me on yard sale or thrift store expeditions, and the first thing he looks for is old albums.

6. PrincessLeppard

I've found some stuff on eBay, but it isn't the same. I like to wander through the aisles and touch stuff.

Omaha has one music store left. *sniff*

7. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Small boxes. I often buy them as souvenirs of my travels. I have them in wood, pewter, alabaster, ceramic, glass etc. Most fit in the palm of my hand but some are a bit bigger. A couple are music boxes.

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Books and tea/coffee mugs. :)

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I buy a keychain at every city that I visit. It's small enough that it does not take up space at my home, but it still a good reminder of the places I've visited.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

You travel a lot though - there are many cities that have huge new and used music stores, and many smaller, excellent shops. Off the top I can tell you that LA is excellent starting with Amoeba (it's the size of a Walmart), Atlanta as well, haven't shopped in Chicago in many years but I expect there are many options, NY isn't bad especially if you are willing to go out of your way, Toronto has a few good spots, SF has several Amoeba locations and likely many more smaller shops, even Washington if you have a car and want to head to the suburbs, and I recall a decent shop or two in Des Moines as well.

Next time you are travelling and have a few hours to spare, send me a PM and I'll see if my husband can recommend anything. You can also keep an eye out for record shows in your city and places you travel.

11. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

I started out collecting coffee mugs which has morphed over time into collecting Starbucks City Mugs. I very rarely drink Starbucks coffee, but I love their mugs. In 2007 I met up in Paris with some friends from the Netherlands whom I hadn’t seen in years. Each morning they wanted to go to Starbucks for coffee and I didn’t because, well, I was in Paris and wanted to go to a café or anyplace but a Starbucks (or McDonalds). So the last day we were in Paris, my friends turned up with a present for me – a Paris Starbucks mug. I’ve been collecting them ever since.

12. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I collect magnets from cities/states/countries I visit. They're easy to find, inexpensive, and the fridge is a perfect place to display them.

I try to get ones related to what I did there - we swam with stingrays in Antigua, so I got a stingray magnet.

13. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

I don't know if this is a collection per se, but I am a digital hoarder. For at least the past seven years, I have been voraciously downloading anything and everything. I subscribe to at least 150 podcasts, my music library is in the thousands and runs the range from audiobooks to Madonna, I have more photos than I care to or can admit... you name the file type, I have tons of it. So much so that I have two external hard drives attached to my computer, and I am always moving things around just to save space. My computer has 250 GB and my external hard drives are 300 GB and 500 GB, making for a total of just over 1 TB.

14. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Exercise dvds and land hermit crabs.

15. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I collect specific Royal Albert china (Ancestral Series, Val D'Or and Braemar)I also am working on getting old classic books (hardcover)

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

old compacts and handbags and peter's posts

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

my bold - :rofl:

18. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

starbucks mugs (from places i have been) love them the perfect size for a decent coffee!!

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Interesting topic.

I collect my theatre tickets along with programs. Have been doing so since I was a kid. Most disappointing thing these days is gradually the tickets are turning into paper that you print off the internet or those ones similar to shopping receipts.

As well as those I do collect cat stuff. I am prepared to spend money on good value cat figurines and they must be nice looking, not ugly. And I do like cat fridge magnets. My mum has twigged onto this and has brought me back some really good cat stuff from her overseas trips.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  20. mkats

mkats New Member

Just remembered - for awhile I collected autographs too, from writing to my favorite athletes. My favorites are Shawn Johnson (she sent me a handwritten letter too), Alissa Czisny (also sent me a long handwritten letter), Nastia Liukin and Chellsie Memmel (standard autographed photos).

21. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

22. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

My flat mate collects magnets. Our fridge is covered with them.

A good friend has a passion for scrap-booking, and they fashion things they have seen into their work.

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Pretty much anything antique or vintage that strikes my fancy. Breyer model horses (not as obsessively as I once did, but I will still pick up an old one if it's one I want and don't have....twenty years I waited for that Gold Charm Secretariat special release but thanks to eBay....) Edward Gorey prints and books. Certain ocean liner things, that often falls under antiques. Crossover with books in that I wound up with THREE copies of C.H. Lightoller's "Titanic and Other Ships"---a modern POD reading copy, a vintage paperback from its brief paperback release, and finally scored the original hardcover for only 100 GPB (thank God the seller apparently didn't search and see what other sellers wanted for it.)

I don't so much collect books as hoard them. Someday I will be on that TV show, surrounded by books....

Oh, and Snoopy. Mostly vintage Snoopy and classic 1970s-80s Snoopy, but pretty much everything Snoopy. My friend's mom found me a Baby Snoopy lamp while Goodwilling, and another time she picked up a Snoopy phone for me. (Goodwillers and garage salers stick together...)

24. quartz

BOOKS DO NOT COUNT AS HOARDING!!:p

25. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

my collection started in paris too! they have now changed the design ..... i like the original ones best

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  26. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

...When you hit the antique malls and have to end up buying a new shelf because you bought so many books they had to find you a big cardboard box at one place?

....And then you're still piling books on the spare-room floor because you filled THAT shelf and you're out of room again and the library had a book sale and then the used bookstore had a going-out-of-business sale?

Seriously, at my parents' (much better organized, with a computer catalog) house we have literally thousands of books. Here I only have a few hundred, probably (I've never counted) and I *keep buying more.* Especially cookbooks. I really need to cut myself off. And now reading this thread I'm thinking "Hmm, haven't gone trolling on ShopGoodwill lately....." Library sales are the worst, though. I barely made it to my car without the "buck a bag" bags bursting. And that was my SECOND sweep (I went through on full price day to make sure I got good ones.)

27. PrincessLeppard

My sister and I get my dad Starbucks mugs when we travel. I agree, the original ones were the best.

28. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Gnomes. But not too many, because I have seen way too many episodes of Hoarders.

In fact, since I cannot find the gnomes I want, the plan is to sculpt my own. Maybe it can become a little business.

29. quartz

danceronice, I think we need to go book hunting together! I work at a bookstore, and I go to thrift stores, yard sales, library sales...... I do however, weed out occasionally, as I have a very small house, so my collection is actually pretty manageable. I think I have about 700. If I still had every single book throughout my life, and never gotten rid of any, I would probably have 4x that!

30. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

You mean you don't want to be on camera clutching your gnomes while a psychiatrist who looks suspiciously like Tonya Harding tries to take them from you?