What do you collect?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, Apr 24, 2013.

1. mkats

mkats New Member

As a kid, I collected stamps, seashells, rocks, fabrics, feathers, yarn, embroidery floss, porcelain figures, candy wrappers, and I'm sure more that I can't think of. Now I collect earrings, buttons, sea glass, and glassware. Still collect fabrics, but I actually use them now - slowly working through my stash!

So much of the excitement of collecting things back then was never knowing when you would find that exact piece to fit into your collection. It's a lot easier now just to be able to go online and order stuff :shuffle: I try to make it a point of never buying anything online for my collections - the vast majority of it came from spontaneous finds at yard sales or thrift shops. (Well, except the sea glass, that I found on the shore. :lol:)

What do you like to collect?

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  2. KatieC

KatieC On hold

As a child I collected china cats. Still have a lot of them, but they are not displayed, haven't been for years. Now, on occasion I pick up a rock/pebble from somewhere else and keep it. And I still have a lot of fabric although I don't sew very much anymore.
    mkats, what did you do with all your candy wrappers and embroidery floss? :) Do you still have them?

3. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Cute Sanrio stickers and stationary. When I was younger I would collect stickers especially scratch 'n sniff ones.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I apparently collect books. Well, I have a lot of books, and I guess "having a lot of" plus "enjoying quite a lot" pretty much defines a collection, yes? Especially if the collection continues to expand, as if by magic. ;)

I've recently begun collecting books about VW Campers, because we recently bought a 1979 Westfalia.

I'm trying hard to think of other things I might actually collect, but I think that may be it. Books and more books.

5. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Vinyl albums. It's a nightmare moving with all of them. :lol:

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Penguins. Crystal, porcelain, wood, stuffed, etc.

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

My dad has a huge number of coffee cups. They're not in any sort of order or are laid out in anyway to impress. He just has a lot of them. He's been all over the world, so a large percentage of them are 'place' coffee cups, with something referencing where he got them on them.

It's not something we ever really talked about, and I don't think he ever really thought through it or meant to collect such a large number of coffee cups. This year, I went to Thailand and China and my sister took a short trip to Ireland and Amsterdam. We individually decided to buy coffee cups to add to our dad's collection that were 'place' coffee cups for where we went as well. When I got back to the US a week ago I went to put my coffee cups in with the rest and they wouldn't fit, and I noticed that there were two new ones from Amsterdam and Ireland. I said to my sister, "you decided to add to the collection too?" We just looked at each other and laughed.

8. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Another collection is foreign currency. My step-dad started it when he was in the military; I got his collection, and have added to it with travels of my own, whether civilian or military (usually just a few coins here and there, but it's still cool)

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I collected stamps and fossils.

Now I collect all sorts of crap. I don't collect traditional things like coins or Hummel, but stuff like decorative watches and buttons from trade shows and floaty pens.

10. mkats

mkats New Member

I don't know what I did with the candy wrappers. :lol: I think a lot of them are still stuck between pages of my favorite childhood books. I started collecting them after my mom told me about being a poor kid growing up in China and they would always look forward to New Years' for the candy, and they'd collect those wrappers. Of course here every year come Halloween it was a different story :)

I ended up using most of the embroidery floss over the years - I used to do a lot of cross stitch work (here's a pillow that I made a few years back) and sewing in general, and a lot of it got used to mend random pieces of clothing since I had so much that the right color was always available. Every time I go back to my parents' though I still find skeins of it here and there in all sorts of pretty colors :) It all started when I was in 3rd grade and it was all the rage to make friendship bracelets.

Oh, something else I used to collect - dried, pressed flowers! Pressed alongside the candy wrappers, of course. :) I still can't help doing it from time to time when I see something that catches my eye, but I've never bothered to do a good job of preserving them so they all turn brown within a few years.

11. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I collect weird, funny Salt and Pepper shakers. For example, I have a Homer and Marge Simpson set. But I also have a lot that are related to cities I visit. Like I have a Liberty Bell/Independence Hall set and a Space Needle set. Also I have ones like a chimney with each of Santa's Legs upside down in the chimney. Essentially anything that is cheap, funny, and weird is what I like.

At this point I have relatives and friends always looking out for new ones for me.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Broken hearts. :grope:

KatieC, Habs, kwanfan1818 and 3 others like this.
  13. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

14. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I collect state wall plates. Have thirty of them so far.

15. madm

madm Active Member

I collect refrigerator magnets from our travels - mostly scenic vistas or something classic from that location (e.g. a Canadian maple leaf, grizzly bear paw print from Alaska). Hubby collects key chains from our travels, and he used to collect matchbooks (when restaurants still gave those out - he finally used them all up when the collection got too big). In our younger days, we used to collect wine corks, thinking we'd make a huge cork board out of them. That never happened haha! My hubby's more serious collections are his 1950s Lionel trains and his vintage ham radios. His brother has a really impressive vintage beer can collection (you drain the beer from the bottom of the can so that the top stays intact).

From skating competitions, I collect pins. I have a felt pin book from the days my daughter skated synchro - all the teams exchanged pins and it was a challenge among skaters to get the most variety because there were only a limited number of the pins made for each team. FYI the USFS Skating Museum in Colorado Springs has a pin collection on display with many more stored away.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  16. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

Hey, I need that, too.:lol:

I collect tacky keychains, the kind only a tourist would buy. I hardly ever buy them, though, people give them to me.

17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

stuffed animals, esp. Disney characters, lapel pins, magnets, music CDs & skating books

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Cookbooks :)

19. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

Books, rocks, vintage kitchen stuff, Depression glass (green only), any other old stuff that I think is cool, beach glass, old bottles, feathers, driftwood.
    You know, I was thinking of starting a collecting thread just the other day!

20. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

I cleaned out my bathroom a couple weeks ago....apparently I also collect eyeshadow.....:lol:

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  21. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Books, teddy bears (and other stuffed animals), just about anything with skates on it, and weird office supplies.

My father collected coins and stamps. My mother collected fabric, knitting yarns and needles and patterns. I come from a family of pack rats.

22. mkats

mkats New Member

If you know anyone coming to Atlanta, send them over to Kudzu - I think they have a couple of sites around town now, but I visited the one in Decatur a few weeks ago and they have an entire wall dedicated solely to salt and pepper shakers of all kinds.

:lol:

23. Aimless

Aimless New Member

I collect yardsticks. I live on Long Island (NY, USA) and especially like advertising yardsticks and rulers from local businesses, or from anywhere when they have interesting text on them. I have a nice display of about 30 of them stacked and supported against my dining room wall with, you guessed it, more yardsticks. It looks pretty cool and I've never seen anything like it.

Got started with this in a funny way. I was going to buy a decorative metal plaque to hang above a doorway and wondered if its width was going going to look okay. I used some adhesive gum to stick a yardstick to the space to assess the width and suddenly I looked at the yardstick as I never had looked at one before. They became objects of interest as of that moment.

Also used to collect fruit crate labels, still attached to the wooden crate ends. They are great pieces of Americana, with colorful images of children, transportation, women, men, birds, flowers, landscapes. I got these a lot when I lived in Manhattan in the early 1980s and fruit was still coming from Washington and California to New York. I'd scavenge the crates from the garbage piles in front of the Korean green grocers who arrived in NYC around the same time I did. I have a friend who goes to auctions, flea markets, and yard sales and she gets antique ones for me now sometimes. Have a couple hundred of these, hung from each other by hook and eye in my den.

24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I collect bells from the 50 states (not city bells though) of the USA. I am only half way there because I have not been to some of the states and I visited some of them years before I started collecting.

I collect T-shirts and magnets from different National Parks

Internationally I have only managed to collect post cards.

I do buy (collect) a lot of books but I have also donated many to libraries over the years.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I would like to know more about this - can you give any examples?

Also, Aimless I love your yardstick collection and the way you've described displaying them!

26. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I collect music boxes & books.

27. zaphyre14

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That is interesting, because it's kinda weird (and I mean that as a compliment!).

29. zaphyre14

I know. :) I've been called worse....

30. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I collect money but I'm horrible at it.

When I was a child I collected things from The Wizard of Oz. To this day I want to buy things when I see neat collectibles but I've realized I'm wasting time and money. Can you believe I am gay? Lol

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013