What do I wear?...the sequel

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PRlady, Aug 10, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My niece expressed a preference for V-Neck styles; so I was surprised at the Alvina Valenta dress.
    It's my favorite, also.
    I'm anxious to see what it looks like on her.

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

They are all beautiful! My favorite is the Alvina Valenta also. Next is #2.

PRLady, yes the mermaid style is very popular. The ones that skatesindreams niece is looking at are the most popular mermaid shape. My daughter tried several on like those and looked lovely in them. She, also, did not want strapless. But, when she put on the Lazaro dress, she just fell in love with it. It's very dramatic, which is definitely her :lol:.

3. skatesindreams

My niece also wants lace.
    It's appropriate for our weather in FL, in any season.

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Yet, those brides will wear it anyway if it is the trend. :scream:

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

6. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I hope my niece doesn't go in that direction. She's 5'1" on a good day....slender and curvy and will look lovely in the right dress but that's too much for someone that small.

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I have a friend who's 4'11" and curvy, and her mother MADE her wear a mermaid dress on her wedding day. :scream: She can't stand to look at her wedding photos. :( Which is really sad since she's an incredibly attractive woman, but mermaid dress on someone shorter than 5 ft is just not a good look!

8. cruisin

She would probably look wonderful in a more traditional ball gown style. My daughter tried one on (that was what she originally wanted). But, because she is so long waisted and tall, she looked out of proportion. She looked like she had a child's dress on. When I got married, I did wear a ball gown, but it had a dropped waist (not as dropped as the mermaid style). When you're tall, you need the balance of the longer waist.

9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I have a new favorite wedding dress of all time. Marchesa Fall 2013 line. The 13th one with the sheer, embellished top and the sparkly waist (sorry, no easy way to link it directly) looks really easy to wear, somewhat covered for religious services, and would look great on someone who's short waisted.

10. cruisin

Love it and love the one right above it too. It is for someone shorter, though. A tall person would have a hard time not looking short waisted in that. But, it's still lovely to look at.

11. skatesindreams

It is a lovely dress.
    Shorter brides often have difficulty finding options that don't make them look like little girls rather than women.

12. ice dance

ice dance Member

Apologies for the horrible lighting, but do these boots go with this skirt? I'll be wearing a black long sleeved shirt and long black jacket, and I could wear pumps but it's supposed to be rainy so I wanted to wear boots for more warmth.

13. skatesindreams

I see no reason not to wear the boots with the skirt.
    Your shirt and coat will coordinate with them, also.

14. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

They look massive around your calves. What about black tights with pumps?

15. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

If you have thick-ish, textured black tights you could get away with it, but vesper is right that they're much bigger than you are. You have nice legs, when you can (I know they're pricey) get boots that aren't so big around?

16. cruisin

Agree with Vesper and PR. The boots are quite wide around your calfs. I think they lend themselves to tucked in jeans. I think tights would help, but dark tights with dark boots might be too much with such a light colored skirt. Maybe a patterned tight?

17. ice dance

ice dance Member

I normally wear them with jeans which makes them not quite so wide. I wasn't planning on going shopping again before I need to wear the outfit (to a funeral in two days), but I might have to run into town and pick up some dark/patterned tights.

18. cruisin

So, I'm going through my clothes to decide what to wear tomorrow. Steeple Chase, and it will be a mud fest! Rain boots, skinny jeans that tuck in, and an older jacket that I won't cry over if it gets muddy. Won't be a "fashion plate", but I won't ruin anything I love :). Trying to decide between a rust colored cropped (to the top of my hip) trench, and a grey tweedy blazer. Leaning toward the rust trench, because it says fall. I know I will come home with mud in my hair. Even when the day is dry with a week of dry leading up to it, it gets muddy. After today's torrential downpour, we are guaranteed slip and slide muck!

I wonder about the owners that let their horses fun on such a dangerous track. One of the really awful parts of going when it's very muddy is that a horse is more likely to go down and has to be put down. Can't imagine risking my horse for one race.

19. skatesindreams

20. cruisin

Found another dress, it looks really nice on. The price is holding me back, a lot more than I wanted to spend. But I haven't found anything else, even close. http://rosetaft.com/rose-taft-couture/ Go to the site, click on the right arrow and click on # 27. It is style #6860.

21. skatesindreams

That's spectacular!
    If it looks right on you, go for it.

Can you find a "deal" anywhere?

22. cruisin

Thanks, it really is spectacular! I can't get a deal on it, because I have to order it. They have sample sizes in the store and then you order your size. I also want to get it in a very dark navy rather than black. The sample sizes they have in the bridal stores for mothers are about a size 14. Way too big, but even clamped, it looked fantastic! Covers my prominent collar bones and chest ribs! :lol:.

23. skatesindreams

If you don't mind telling me; how much is it?

24. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

That's lovely, cruisin, but again you have to be quite tall to wear that successfully. Will you be able to wear it again after the wedding? It seems so to me, doesn't look mom-of-the-bride at all...

And I already got the Anthro sale yesterday ;) and bought this, which I had been eyeing for some time and waiting to go to half price: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/shopsale-skirts/25186586.jsp.

25. skatesindreams

PRlady...one of the things I liked about the dress is that it didn't look like MOB.
    I love your skirt.

26. cruisin

I would actually need to wear, at least, 3" heels to wear it. And I'm already 5'10". It doesn't look MOB at all, which I like. But, I don't really go anywhere where I need a gown. It could easily be cut to cocktail length, but that would really be a shame.

27. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

That skirt is darling. What kind of blouse or sweater are you wearing with it?

The dress is gorgeous but I think it will be stunning cut off too & it will be a lot more versatile when it's shortened.

28. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

That dress is GORGEOUS!!! If you do decide to cut it off you can save the fabric and maybe use it as a photo book cover, or use it to cover a picture frame, or as matting for a photo.

29. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

30. cruisin

Yes, PRLady, Love the skirt. Can't see the sweater, though.

Skatesindreams, found a Marchesa dress, very similar to the one I posted. Only problem is it's couture and way, way, way more $$$ http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/March...ements%3D&eItemId=prod148620207&cmCat=product I plan to keep looking, but I almost wish I hadn't seen that dress. You sort of know when it's perfect and everything else will be compared to it. :(